The ongoing adventures of biodigitaljazz's cartridge

It's bent. You don't have the precise mechanical skills to own a turntable. This is your last thread. Goodbye.

Remind me to schedule you to perform any delicate surgeries on myself that I may need in the future..with your delicate, precise and accident free hands.

i can now rest easy knowing i have that taken care of for the future.

giphy_zps4cd2bf4c.gif

How so many people damage their stylus.

It's not terribly difficult.  One slip of the hand is all it takes.  I saw one of those Michael Fremer "how to set up a turntable" videos where he talks about destroying some pretty expensive carts.  It happens.  Does it happen every day?  No.  But if you own a turntable long enough, it will probably happen.

It's not terribly difficult.  One slip of the hand is all it takes.  I saw one of those Michael Fremer "how to set up a turntable" videos where he talks about destroying some pretty expensive carts.  It happens.  Does it happen every day?  No.  But if you own a turntable long enough, it will probably happen.

Yeah, I get it. It happens all the time. I still don't understand how people are so careless or accident prone.

Received a new stylus today. I ordered the 2M red replacement but the stylus I received is grey and the box says "STYLUS 2M MONO"

I played it on an older Beatles record first and I kind of wish I hadn't because I'm noticing a lot more surface noise, skipping, and even some low end distortion on records that I never heard anything before.

Did i just dirty up the stylus on the old record? Also, did needle doctor send me an incorrect product?

If the actual stylus is gray than it looks like they sent you the wrong one.  On the plus side, they sent you a $300+ stylus when you only ordered a < $100 one.  On the down side, it's a mono stylus and most of what you listen to will probably be stereo.

So you can send it back for the right one, or sell it on eBay for twice what you paid and come up on it...

Oh damn.

Well, I was wondering why the copy of Help I bought that said Stereo on the cover AND the center label sounded mono. But then I played a record with some panning and I thought it sounded okay. I'll have to do some more listening.

Any ideas for the increased surface noise/skipping/low end distortion? Improper tracking force for the stylus perhaps?

You sure this isn't a troll thread?

Ah, the good ol' ajxd ball-busting. Making me a better man each and every day. Forgive me for not being able to identify a $300 stylus.

I found the culprit on the sound issue with it. The cantilever looks straight but is twisted every so slightly that the tip is crooked and probably hitting groove walls. Is this something that can be fixed and I should try to sell the stylus on eBay? I might just send it back and have them send me the red to avoid the fuss, unless I can end up getting a sweet dollar on Ebay.

It's not that you can't identify a cartridge, it's the fact you ordered a replacement 2M Red. You received a 2M Mono and asked if needle doctor messed up.

If I wasn't on mobile, I'd post a "c'mon son" type photo.

Touche. I looked at their website after I posted my reply and found the cartridge only their picture looks slightly different.

At any rate, the cantilever is a little twisted (not from my doing). Would it be safe to sell the stylus on eBay? I don't know if fucked up or adjustable.

I'm amused. Changing the thread title is pretty weak though.

I'm out of ideas. I've spent a ton of money on this and need help but everyone's just getting a laugh now.

I can't delete the thread from mobile. Good thing everyone's amused and the only time being wasted is my own. Maybe a sale thread from me soon.