PO: The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt

31 minutes ago, HardlineKid said:

I would think it's likely they sold more than 200. I myself bought two, and I wouldn't underestimate the "I want vinyl because I want to be retro and hip" crowd just picking up random shit that looks cool.

Right but based on what I've gathered it seems many, many orders were cancelled based on limited stock.

49 minutes ago, jerseypride said:

Right but based on what I've gathered it seems many, many orders were cancelled based on limited stock.

That's possible. It happened to me, actually. My original copy was cancelled, then it went back in stock on Monday and I picked up two to get free shipping. Now I have two copies of this possibly very limited OOP record that's selling for $200 on discogs...

12 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Good stuff.

Good stuff. Link to the tweet for those interested. Now I gotta decide whether to keep this one or the deluxe 2xLP Picture disc. My guess is this variant is /500. No way Walmart sold more than 200 copies of this, but we may never know.

If you decide you want to sell the picture disc, hit me up. Love Halloween, one of my favorite Gaslight tracks. 

On 6/12/2021 at 6:27 PM, lostcrimes said:

Mine only had the mp3 coupon sticker. 

can vouch. got 2 copies, one when it originally dropped and another the next day, grouped with another record to get free shipping. i requested to cancel the original order, but walmart didn't approve the request.

both copies arrived with sleeve damage, which sucks, but one had the color hype and mp3 sticker, the other only had the mp3 sticker. i opened the one without the color hype sticker, and it was colored. haven't opened the other one yet.

Edited by revisited

• 1 year later...

Hearing BF repeatedly mention Leatherface and Drug Church, then say on a scale of "Local Honey to Slayer" the new material is an "8" has me very excited to hear what they're cookin' up. Been listening to a lot of TGA lately, specifically Senior and the Queen + Sink or Swim, I'm actually really looking forward to this new record. 

https://youtu.be/Y53KT3lre18

So optimistic, especially if you're listening to their older stuff. I kept hoping they would find that SOS/59 sound and it just kept getting worse and worse. I know people absolutely love their later stuff, but man, that early stuff is such a different sound. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm open to being surprised and wouldn't be too stubborn to buy their new album if it's anything close to their first couple records:)
@Shitty Rambo

Edited by geezfools

9 hours ago, geezfools said:

So optimistic, especially if you're listening to their older stuff. I kept hoping they would find that SOS/59 sound and it just kept getting worse and worse. I know people absolutely love their later stuff, but man, that early stuff is such a different sound. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm open to being surprised and wouldn't be too stubborn to buy their new album if it's anything close to their first couple records:)
@Shitty Rambo

I actually despised Get Hurt until late last year lol. It still isn't a go-to album for me, but I have a better understanding of what they were aiming for and can appreciate that record for what it is. With that being said, it sounds like they had more negative feelings towards their later material which was the main reason they took a hiatus. Can't imagine this next record will be a Get Hurt 2 in that case.

13 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

With that being said, it sounds like they had more negative feelings towards their later material which was the main reason they took a hiatus. Can't imagine this next record will be a Get Hurt 2 in that case.

Not to be a downer, but I saw them in Detroit late last year and they played 7 or 8 Get Hurt songs. It was disappointing to say the least. I'm not a hater of that album, but it's definitely their worst. They looked like they were enjoying themselves though, and this interview with Matt is promising. Definitely has me even more excited for the new record.

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

Sometimes I wonder if our fav artist album has something to do with timing. I was late to the game and only got into TGA right before Handwritten was released. That could be why it is my favorite album, though right there with '59. Get Hurt is still a strain to listen to.

Absolutely the case for me in many instances. It's the band's sound at that time which originally sucked you in, and in a way, can become your standard when comparing to previous and future releases. That doesn't prevent you from eventually liking a different era/sound more so, obviously... but it does set up that baseline for what the band SHOULD sound like in your own mind.

19 hours ago, mitchard said:

Absolutely the case for me in many instances. It's the band's sound at that time which originally sucked you in, and in a way, can become your standard when comparing to previous and future releases. That doesn't prevent you from eventually liking a different era/sound more so, obviously... but it does set up that baseline for what the band SHOULD sound like in your own mind.

Yep. And oftentimes, when there are divisive albums like Get Hurt, most of the hate can be measured by the delta between what was expected and what was actually released. People react badly to change (see also the reactions to Rancid's Life Won't Wait , Face to Face's Ignorance is Bliss, or even Weezer's Pinkerton). That's not to say that there weren't open-minded fans who gave the record a chance and genuinely hate it. I think the biggest mistake people can make is not taking to the time to properly digest a record, which can often take years. Personally, I don't think it's a great record but I much prefer it to Handwritten, which is my least favorite of TGA's records.

Edited by jerseypride

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, kas1985 said:

Is it a presave link for a single or an album? I use Apple Music, the link just takes you to the band’s overall page Apple Music page. 

Doesn't say, really. I can only assume it's a single... no way they are dropping a surprise album with on two days notice with zero press. 

1 hour ago, Shitty Rambo said:

On another note, I can't believe THIS record goes for like $40+ on the aftermarket when it sat in-stock for years after it's release. I will admit, I've kinda come around to it, definitely not my favorite TGA release by a long shot, but it no longer makes me nauseous.

I mean they had a certain set of expectations after their first four records. You could say great expectations.