PO: The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt

The composition is a Gaslight Anthem song. It just sounds like it is being played by a completely different band. The vocals sound really strange. The guitars sound off, and the production is pretty terrible, like a demo. Not feeling very optimistic. Maybe Get Hurt will now start to sound better...

I listened to it a few times yesterday, on paper it's not a bad song. It has TGA-ass guitar parts, the hook is there BUT it never lands because of the vocals. Brian has removed all the grit from his voice. If sang more aggressively this song would be so much better. Yeah, he's getting older, but so is his buddy Chuck Ragan, and with every release he does he sounds more and more like he just got done gargling hot tar. It's excellent.

6 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I listened to it a few times yesterday, on paper it's not a bad song. It has TGA-ass guitar parts, the hook is there BUT it never lands because of the vocals. Brian has removed all the grit from his voice. If sang more aggressively this song would be so much better. Yeah, he's getting older, but so is his buddy Chuck Ragan, and with every release he does he sounds more and more like he just got done gargling hot tar. It's excellent.

I feel it doesn't help having his voice kinda buried in the mix.

It's growing on me though, just think they need Ted Hutt back.

I'm curious to see what the album winds up sounding like in comparison to the rest of the album. I remember hearing Rollin and Tumblin ahead of Get Hurt and being a little puzzled. Then hearing he distorted vocals on Stay Vicious only to have them gone from the rest of the album.

I do kind of feel like Brian doing those album playthrough streams helped him reconnect with some of the older stuff and that's why there are some nods back to those songs sprinkled in.

A while back I listened to Brian on Benny's podcast and he was talking about quitting smoking and getting his teeth fixed. I wonder how much that affects the way he sings.