PO: He Is Legend - Heavy Fruit

Had to go for it! Pretty pricey with the shipping, but It Hates You is such a great album...couldn't pass it up. Now let's get some management changes at whatever major bought out the Tooth and Nail catalog and get some older albums pressed (i wish).

Somewhere the Capitol Christian Group is giggling right now.

This was an easy choice, one of my favorite bands of all time. Also some of the coolest dudes ever, talked to them at show and they where amazing. Plus they use to occasionally do these blog entries that where amazing... here is an example... http://www.whattodoabout.com/2008/04/10/what-to-do-about-cats/ there are two others that I know, one about filling in for ETID to play drums and the other was about meeting fans at shows.

Also quick random question here, but I know that T&N's catalog is with Christian Capital Music Group, but what if the He is Legend gang wanted to press some of their old records to sell on tour, could they do that? It would seem weird that the artist couldn't press their own music.... but I am not an expert in this matter.

This was an easy choice, one of my favorite bands of all time. Also some of the coolest dudes ever, talked to them at show and they where amazing. Plus they use to occasionally do these blog entries that where amazing... here is an example... http://www.whattodoabout.com/2008/04/10/what-to-do-about-cats/ there are two others that I know, one about filling in for ETID to play drums and the other was about meeting fans at shows.

Also quick random question here, but I know that T&N's catalog is with Christian Capital Music Group, but what if the He is Legend gang wanted to press some of their old records to sell on tour, could they do that? It would seem weird that the artist couldn't press their own music.... but I am not an expert in this matter.

He is Legend would have to buy the rights from T&N to get their music pressed themselves, but it doesn't seem like T&N wants to make any deals regarding the release of music they currently own. 

He is Legend can't legally do this because they don't own the rights to their own music. T&N did, but they were sold to Capitol.  It's similar to when Michael Jackson owned the rights to the Beatles catalog among others and therefore received the royalties etc. from the sale of their music and not the Beatles themselves.  

He is Legend can't legally do this because they don't own the rights to their own music. T&N did, but they were sold to Capitol. It's similar to when Michael Jackson owned the rights to the Beatles catalog among others and therefore received the royalties etc. from the sale of their music and not the Beatles themselves.

That's fucking weird. Not the first part, I get that. I never knew Michael Jackson owned the whole Beatles catalog. That was kinda fucked up. His own royalties weren't enough?

The first thing to understand is that there are two components to musical copyright: the recording and the song itself, or composition. Tooth & Nail's contracts with their artists generally have worked the same way major label contracts work, even before they sold their back catalog to EMI: Tooth & Nail pays for all costs associated with putting out an album - recording, design, manufacturing, marketing etc. In exchange, the recording itself is owned exclusively by T&N, and the band essentially has almost no say in what they do with it. This isn't uncommon, and before home recording became so advanced a lot of bands would take it just for the chance to be in a nice studio with a big name producer. T&N just has a reputation for being more exploitive than average, because they know they are essentially the final word on Christian alternative music, and it's not hard to "make it" in the Christian music world once you've established yourself. They recognize this, so they exact a heavy price that sometimes tears bands apart. This is why Tooth & Nail has put out so many greatest hits albums, rarities albums, "triple pack" repackagings, basically doing all they can with what they own. The band still owns the composition, so they would receive royalties from album sales, streams, and radio play (although some T&N albums list Brandon Ebel's publishing company as one of or sometimes the only publishing company, so he may have weaseled his way in there too). MxPx wrote a song about how much they hated their contract with Tooth & Nail. They put it out on an album that was released on a major label but still had the Tooth & Nail logo on it due to the terms of the contract they signed as teenagers:

tl;dr the music industry is and always has been stacked against the artist, and wouldn't you know it, even Christians can be overcome by greed.