Ambient Related Releases (Drone, Field Recording, Neo-Classical, Experimental)

On 07/11/2016 at 11:52 PM, itsgoodtobefree said:

Has anyone received their Gas box? According to some people on Discogs there might be some quality issues.

Got mine earlier this week... Had a full play through yesterday evening. Everything looks and sounds fantastic IMHO - no splits in sleeves, no marks / defects on the vinyl... Nothing whatsoever that I could be negative about really (had also read the negatives online from other people).

Really nice package, all in all. Hope everyone else has the same experience.

I checked out a few of these GAS albums on youtube and really like them, saw the box at the weekend but couldn't pull the trigger. Anyone know if there's a wider CD release planned for these? 

Just can't justify the £125-£130 price tag ahead of Christmas but a £30 cd boxset would be an instant buy.

[EDIT] Just found out the first four albums are available in a compilation box called Nah Und Fern released in 2008 and that's selling for about £50 on amazon or £40 on discogs. Seems reasonable enough will have to do some creative accounting when I'm home :)

Edited by Stress On The Sky

2 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I checked out a few of these GAS albums on youtube and really like them, saw the box at the weekend but couldn't pull the trigger. Anyone know if there's a wider CD release planned for these? 

Just can't justify the £125-£130 price tag ahead of Christmas but a £30 cd boxset would be an instant buy.

[EDIT] Just found out the first four albums are available in a compilation box called Nah Und Fern released in 2008 and that's selling for about £50 on amazon or £40 on discogs. Seems reasonable enough will have to do some creative accounting when I'm home :)

If I get the box and it is OK quality wise, I'd sell those CDs to you - just want the vinyl

3 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Just know that Nah Und Fern vinyl is only a 2xLP selection of edits from the four albums. The CD boxset indeed has all of them, in their original state.

Edited by scentofdeath
double post

On 14/11/2016 at 5:06 PM, scentofdeath said:

Just know that Nah Und Fern vinyl is only a 2xLP selection of edits from the four albums. The CD boxset indeed has all of them, in their original state.

Thanks for the info on that. I'd rather get the cd set. I prefer the constant flow.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

On 11/7/2016 at 3:52 PM, itsgoodtobefree said:

Has anyone received their Gas box? According to some people on Discogs there might be some quality issues.

I've also received mine and I'm happy to say it's flawless in every way. Really happy and relieved to finally own these on vinyl too.

Here's hoping for a reissue of the debut album and ep.

1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

Pretty crushed right now

CC Music told me that my Gas Box is out of stock and is waiting to be back in stock. I have no idea if it will get back in stock. Don't know how limited it is, etc. 

Really gonna be pissed if it doesn't ship. 

How much was it shipped from CC? With coupon from Deep Discount it's about $145.

I still haven't pounced on this yet. Even though it's technically limited, all major retailers still seem to have it in stock if you search on Google.

13 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

How much was it shipped from CC? With coupon from Deep Discount it's about $145.

I still haven't pounced on this yet. Even though it's technically limited, all major retailers still seem to have it in stock if you search on Google.

Sorry to be a lazy ass (after some brief Googling I couldn't find anything), but what number is this supposedly 'limited' to? Same as you, everywhere I look, there are still sets available. From a very selfish standpoint, I'd like to think I had 1 from 1000 sets - or even less! - especially given the price.

5 hours ago, SE7EN said:

Sorry to be a lazy ass (after some brief Googling I couldn't find anything), but what number is this supposedly 'limited' to? Same as you, everywhere I look, there are still sets available. From a very selfish standpoint, I'd like to think I had 1 from 1000 sets - or even less! - especially given the price.

I don't think anybody has a clue what the number is. Would be nice to know.

6 hours ago, SE7EN said:

Even Wolfgang Voigt didn't tell in his latest interview - so we can be sure there will be plenty and nobody has ever to fear, he/she doesn't get one.

19 hours ago, freverend said:

Even Wolfgang Voigt didn't tell in his latest interview - so we can be sure there will be plenty and nobody has ever to fear, he/she doesn't get one.

20 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

I don't think anybody has a clue what the number is. Would be nice to know.

Cool, thanks... At least it wasn't just me and my sub-standard Googling skills! Would definitely be nice to know.

Any Lawrence English fans here?  I quite dug 2014's Wilderness Of Mirrors, and he's set to release a new album at the beginning of 2017.  For fans of Hecker's earlier material, or anyone who enjoys a little weight, gloom, and bite with their drone, I'd highly recommend hopping on the new album.  The colored variant is unannounced as of now, but comes out to a bit under $30 PPD to the states.  If it's worth noting, the last limited release I ordered from Room40 – Rafael Anton Irisarri's A Fragile Geography, back in 2015 – has since fetched $70 on Discogs. 

a2395614970_16.jpg

Cruel Optimism is a record that considers power (present and absent). It meditates on how power consumes, augments and ultimately shapes two subsequent human conditions: obsession and fragility. This pyramid is an affective ecology of the (ever)present moment. 

This edition owes its title and its origins to the wonderful text of the same name by American theorist Lauren Berlant. I had the fortune to come across her writing almost a half-decade ago. In Cruel Optimism, I found a number of critical readings around the issues that have fuelled so much of the music I have been making recently. Beyond her keen analysis of the relations of attachment as they pertain to conditions of possibility in the everyday, it was particularly her writing around trauma I found deeply affecting. It was a jumping off point from which a plague of unsettling impressions of suffering, intolerance and ignorance could be unpacked and utilised as fuel over and above pointless frustration.

When I made Wilderness Of Mirrors, clouds of unease were overhead. As I have worked through Cruel Optimism, what seemed an unimaginable future just a few years prior, began to present as actual. Over the course of creating the record, we collectively bore witness to a new wave of humanitarian and refugee crisis (captured so succinctly in the photograph of Alan Kurdi’s tiny body motionless on the shore), the black lives matter movement, the widespread use of sonic weapons on civilians, increased drone strikes in Waziristan, Syria and elsewhere, and record low numbers of voting around Brexit and the US election cycle, suggesting a wider sense of disillusionment and powerlessness. Acutely for me and other Australians, we've faced dire intolerance concerning race and continued inequalities related to gender and sexuality. The storm has broken and feels utterly visceral. 

Cruel Optimism is a meditation on these challenges and an encouragement to press forward towards more profound futures. 

Beyond the motivations forging the record, the process by which this edition was created was unlike many of my other records. Having worked largely alone in recent years, I wanted to shift away from that approach. I wanted the opportunity for exchange, to trial new ideas in various spaces and to find myself surprised by the perspectives of others. It was this desire that led me to reach out to friends, old and new, and invite them to contribute to Cruel Optimism. It also led to me using a range of studio spaces to explore new techniques, informed by what I had learned taking Wilderness Of Mirrors on the road for the better part of two years.

I count myself exceptionally fortunate to have been able to call on so many fine musicians in the making of this album. Some of these collaborations were at the foetal stages, acting as important catalysts. Specifically, contributions from Mats Gustafsson, Mary Rapp and Tony Buck were important during this period. Some contributed from afar, including Chris Abrahams and Werner Dafeldecker, who both responded so very kindly to my cryptic notes and hopelessly poetic evocations. Some artists came to visit here in Brisbane such as Norman Westberg, Brodie McAllister, Australian Voices, Vanessa Tomlinson and Heinz Riegler. Others, such as Thor Harris, kindly invited me into their homes to work together. The richness of experience afforded to me during the making of Cruel Optimism is difficult to summarise. It was ultimately a truly rare pleasure to have these exchanges. 

I leave it to you then, to listen as you can. This record is one of protest against the immediate threat of abhorrent possible futures. It’s an object of projection, from me to you and onward from there. I couldn’t be more pleased to share Cruel Optimism with you. 

Edited by Derek™

55 minutes ago, scentofdeath said:

GAS Box  -  Probably the last copies, back in stock at Kompakt

Edit: Repress coming in February, which is very nice of them.

CCMusic had it for a great price which is why I wanted to stick to it. Do you think they'll fulfill my original order, or even the repress?