Ambient Related Releases (Drone, Field Recording, Neo-Classical, Experimental)

On 1/10/2017 at 3:44 AM, JoshuaNilk said:

Any of you internet-savvy capable of finding a discount code to run with Fire Records?

New Noveller coming out and on bandcamp there's space left to enter a discount code. Shouldn't that mean there's one that's currently active out there? I checked Fire Records' FB site and googled around but no cigar.

https://novellermusic.bandcamp.com/album/a-pink-sunset-for-no-one

I am finding better prices on Amazon.co.uk all the time for a lot of what I buy.

For example: the new Noveller is $22.99 with Free Prime Shipping on USA amazon.com (I live in California), but my sales tax puts the total up to $24.70 or so.

By contrast, the LP is $19.66, including shipping and without sales tax, from the Amazon.co.uk site.   (The UK MP3 download won't work for me, though, but I don't usually use them).

Thanks for the heads-up on Noveller! 

Edited by jackshidt

6 hours ago, WAXXX said:

haven't paid that much attention to the other 30 pages of this thread, but if anyone likes their ambient, drone, field fecording, neo-classical, and experimental tracks with a touch of minimal techno, acid house, and electro, then you need to check out delsin records. awesome label/shop from the amsterdam that puts out beautiful first pressings. 

There's a lot to choose from; any recommendations?

Edited by docbronze

18 hours ago, docbronze said:

There's a lot to choose from; any recommendations?

yeah, just from some of their more recent releases, here's a few i'd recommend. the links have track previews.

Yagya - Stars And Dust (http://www.delsinrecords.com/release/5433/yagya/stars-and-dust)

John Beltran - Everything At Once (http://www.delsinrecords.com/release/5389/john-beltran/everything-at-once)

Silent Harbour - Silent Harbour (http://www.delsinrecords.com/release/5477/silent-harbour/silent-harbour)

11 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

yeah, just from some of their more recent releases, here's a few i'd recommend. the links have track previews.

Yagya - Stars And Dust (http://www.delsinrecords.com/release/5433/yagya/stars-and-dust)

John Beltran - Everything At Once (http://www.delsinrecords.com/release/5389/john-beltran/everything-at-once)

Silent Harbour - Silent Harbour (http://www.delsinrecords.com/release/5477/silent-harbour/silent-harbour)

Cheers, WAXXX. That's much appreciated.

I don't know if this has already been posted in here but there's a record club that sends one LP or one LP and one 7" each month from a library of ambient, drone, techno or house music. I am debating trying it but am a little scared as I detest house music. I'm all in for ambient and drone though.

Its called: That Special Record

Edited by Monastic_mike

18 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

I don't know if this has already been posted in here but there's a record club that sends one LP or one LP and one 7" each month from a library of ambient, drone, techno or house music. I am debating trying it but am a little scared as I detest house music. I'm all in for ambient and drone though.

Its called: That Special Record

that's interesting. will have to check out some of their featured artists.

Already got my hands on a copy of William Basinski's new album A Shadow In Time. I'm very much looking forward to spending a lot of time with in the next couple weeks, but after three consecutive listens both intently and somewhat distracted, it seems to be kind of a mixed bag, so far. 

Side A is, well, perfect, really. A 17-minute slowburner, as bleak as it is mournful and full of richly detailed sonic variety. I'm sensing a prerecorded loop somewhere below the surface, but it hardly gets to the front, if ever. It cerntainly is an ever evolving piece, slowly disintegrating and, eventually, fading, but there's a lot of progression going on in the details, making the title track an instant favorite of his body work. 

Side B is a somewhat different monster. It starts out as a classic Basinski-loop that inevitably reminds me of his work in The Disintegration Loops. It's crushingly beautiful, with a melancholic fanfare-like feel to it reminiscent to D|P1. Without hyperbole I could listen to this loop on repeat for days. 

Yet, Basinski planned to do things somewhat differently this time around. Around six minutes in a rather hideous saxophone-sample takes the stage, starting out as pleasing and surprising Badalamenti/Lynch-improvisation, but evolving into an atonal mess, getting louder and more center for ten minutes, before slowly crumbling to dust with the rest of the piece. Surely I'm not set on this opinion, as I have to spend more time with it, but right now I'm pretty much baffled about Basinski's decision to sabotage the piece's melancholy edge and take it down an experimental, almost jazzy path. It's great, kind of, but I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that the loop's sublime beauty is subverted by that shaky saxophone cut.

Nonetheless, this is far from a disappointment. As much as Basinski's art is a 'hate it or love it'-affair, it's a very welcome breath of fresh air to hear something genuinely new going on in his music. I think I'll be content with the path the second song takes, since almost all of his work until now is full of his trademark knack for melancholy and beauty. Abrasiveness is an attribute I never would've thought to attach to this record, but I'm more than happy with Basinski adding new words to his dictionary.

1 hour ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Already got my hands on a copy of William Basinski's new album A Shadow In Time. I'm very much looking forward to spending a lot of time with in the next couple weeks, but after three consecutive listens both intently and somewhat distracted, it seems to be kind of a mixed bag, so far. 

Side A is, well, perfect, really. A 17-minute slowburner, as bleak as it is mournful and full of richly detailed sonic variety. I'm sensing a prerecorded loop somewhere below the surface, but it hardly gets to the front, if ever. It cerntainly is an ever evolving piece, slowly disintegrating and, eventually, fading, but there's a lot of progression going on in the details, making the title track an instant favorite of his body work. 

Side B is a somewhat different monster. It starts out as a classic Basinski-loop that inevitably reminds me of his work in The Disintegration Loops. It's crushingly beautiful, with a melancholic fanfare-like feel to it reminiscent to D|P1. Without hyperbole I could listen to this loop on repeat for days. 

Yet, Basinski planned to do things somewhat differently this time around. Around six minutes in a rather hideous saxophone-sample takes the stage, starting out as pleasing and surprising Badalamenti/Lynch-improvisation, but evolving into an atonal mess, getting louder and more center for ten minutes, before slowly crumbling to dust with the rest of the piece. Surely I'm not set on this opinion, as I have to spend more time with it, but right now I'm pretty much baffled about Basinski's decision to sabotage the piece's melancholy edge and take it down an experimental, almost jazzy path. It's great, kind of, but I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that the loop's sublime beauty is subverted by that shaky saxophone cut.

Nonetheless, this is far from a disappointment. As much as Basinski's art is a 'hate it or love it'-affair, it's a very welcome breath of fresh air to hear something genuinely new going on in his music. I think I'll be content with the path the second song takes, since almost all of his work until now is full of his trademark knack for melancholy and beauty. Abrasiveness is an attribute I never would've thought to attach to this record, but I'm more than happy with Basinski adding new words to his dictionary.

Great review, Eliminator Jr. Thanks.  I have to say that your description of the Bowie e(u)legy track intrigues me greatly. Cheers.

20% off everything at Ultimae (lots of ambient electronic).

" From January 19th until Valentine's Day, type in the code omg20 in your cart (top right) and you will get an immediate 20% discount on all Ultimae releases & audio tools (digital / cds & vinyl / sample libraries) "

https://ultimae.com/shop/

if you have spotify, you should follow delsin records and listen to their public playlists. not sure how long they've been doing them and there's only 3 so far, but the bands they feature have some phenomenal albums that some people in this thread would appreciate. the downside is that when you really like one of the albums, it may not exist on vinyl and could make you sad.

The last July Skies repress is up now at Caroline True!

https://carolinetruerecords.com/products/july-skies-the-english-cold-ltd-300-vinyl-edition-180g-vinyl-download

Can't believe all these I've linked and no ones been interested! Granted it's a little more expensive being an import, the music is incredible imo and shouldn't be missed! July Skies was and still is one of my favorite ambient/post-rock projects!

Thought this was fitting for this thread.

Pre-orders are open for a re-issue of Midori Takada's "Through The Looking Glass" at We Release Whatever The Fuck We Want's bandcamp: 

http://wrwtfww.com/album/through-the-looking-glass

Limited Edition of 500, 2xLP 45rpm

Regular Edition, LP 33rpm

a2568768212_16.jpg

Edited by ghost