Ambient Related Releases (Drone, Field Recording, Neo-Classical, Experimental)

3 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I really wanted the loscil one, but the price is a really hard hurdle for me to get over.

Ditto. Does anyone know what the runtime is on these? For $35, I'd hope to get some fully formed pieces of music and not just some sketches or song fragments these artists have laying about.

New vinyl + photography book project from Andrea Belfi.   Limited to 500.  

Andrea Belfi is a drummer, composer and experimental musician. Through the last twenty years he has developed a unique style of drumming. He has released five solo albums and more than fifty collaborative records on labels such as ROOM40, Miasmah, Häpna, Die Schachtel, Constellation, Blue Chopsticks. 

He has collaborated, among others, with Mike Watt, Carla Bozulich, David Grubbs, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Nils Frahm, Greg Haines, Circuit des Yeux, Andrea Parkins, Werner Dafeldecker, Erik Skodvin, Stefano Pilia, Aidan Baker, Lori Goldston, BjNilsen. 

He has performed at Centre Pompidou (Paris), Unsound Festival (Krakow), Cafè Oto (London), Issue Project Room (New York), GAS festival (Göteborg) and Artplay (Moscow).

http://www.iikki-books.com/iikki-002-alveare

On 12/9/2014 at 0:17 AM, copelandkid said:

thought i'd jump in here and share my ambient / sound collage work as Leaaves (name-your-price downloads!). i've most recently put out a tape on Illuminated Paths – it's a cohesive suite of piano and guitar works, with field recordings, detailed sampling, and lots of reverb.

i'm currently working on a split LP with drone mainstays Lost Trail, and it's gonna hit hard. we're looking for additional labels anywhere across the globe to help put it out on 12" vinyl (we've got a few labels spearheading the project already), so if you're interested or know of solid labels to check out, i'd appreciate it!

noticed that all 15 copies of the We Will Forget Our Sadder Days in Summers That Never End cassette are sold out. any plans to release more?

Edited by Fungi

For the folks who missed out on the first run, Sonic Pieces is re-pressing Moon Ate the Dark's I+II on clear and black vinyl (clear is out of 200). It's not the same packaging as the first edition but still totally worth it considering the first run sold out real quick. 

If you haven't heard these albums yet, I'd hiiiiiiiiiighly recommend doing so. 

http://sonicpieces.bigcartel.com/product/moon-ate-the-dark-moon-ate-the-dark-i-ii-2nd-edition-2lp

Also available from boomkat but the clear is already sold out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 2:03 AM, Fungi said:

noticed that all 15 copies of the We Will Forget Our Sadder Days in Summers That Never End cassette are sold out. any plans to release more?

oh hey, i had no idea people on here paid attention to Leaaves! i'm not sure about a repress, but if there's some demand, i'll definitely look into it. for now, Spare No Expanse (www.sparenoexpanse.bandcamp.com) has two other tapes out.
and i've got copies of some other Leaaves releases on my bandcamp (www.leaaves.bandcamp.com).

2 hours ago, copelandkid said:

oh hey, i had no idea people on here paid attention to Leaaves! i'm not sure about a repress, but if there's some demand, i'll definitely look into it. for now, Spare No Expanse (www.sparenoexpanse.bandcamp.com) has two other tapes out.
and i've got copies of some other Leaaves releases on my bandcamp (www.leaaves.bandcamp.com).

I bought forget Our Sadder Days on whim during the ACLU sale, but haven't had time a chance to listen to it yet.  Looking forward to the Lost Trail collab, they're great!

8 minutes ago, SE7EN said:

It's still available (due 24th Feb) on some British indie sites (such as Norman Records).

Good call on the 24th – first concrete date I've been able to stumble across so far.  Just today Amazon sent me an e-mail asking me to confirm that I was still interested in my order.

On 2/15/2017 at 6:05 PM, jonrawks said:

I bought forget Our Sadder Days on whim during the ACLU sale, but haven't had time a chance to listen to it yet.  Looking forward to the Lost Trail collab, they're great!

oh way cool, hope you dig it :D 
that particular release was meant to be paired with a Lost Trail record as a split 12"
that release never came to fruition, so we released our tracks separately. 
however, we did spearhead this particular project together with some local friends – https://shimmeringmoodsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-lost-trail-orchestra
really grimy / gaze-y lo-fi stuff. live improv.

8 hours ago, docbronze said:

I checked this out.  Really admire the cover art and aesthetic – and clear vinyl is always a huge plus in my books – but the 2 tracks on it seems remarkably repetitive.  One could argue that repetition shouldn't be a priority in ambient or drone music, but all it sounded like was the same motif looped with no variation.  (And in something like Disintegration Loops where the name of the game is loops, at least those are falling apart gradually.)  I did enjoy the album so I'm grateful for the link, but it's more of a soothing fall-asleep-to-this than buy-it-on-vinyl-and-spin-it listen, for me.

38 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I checked this out.  Really admire the cover art and aesthetic – and clear vinyl is always a huge plus in my books – but the 2 tracks on it seems remarkably repetitive.  One could argue that repetition shouldn't be a priority in ambient or drone music, but all it sounded like was the same motif looped with no variation.  (And in something like Disintegration Loops where the name of the game is loops, at least those are falling apart gradually.)  I did enjoy the album so I'm grateful for the link, but it's more of a soothing fall-asleep-to-this than buy-it-on-vinyl-and-spin-it listen, for me.

You summed up my feelings better than I ever could 

15 hours ago, JRHews said:

First Narrows by Loscil is available on vinyl now for first time via Kranky. https://loscil.bandcamp.com/album/first-narrows

2xlp for 23 shipped. Can't beat it for such a solid album.

I got mine in the mail on Friday and gave it a listen yesterday.  Thought it sounded very nice!  There's also a bonus track on there, which I wasn't expecting.

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

8 hours ago, Kanye West said:

You summed up my feelings better than I ever could 

Shoot, fellas. Sorry to disappoint. I find it hypnotizing in the best of ways. Surely I could fall asleep to it, but I could fall asleep to most ambient music if I was so inclined. Conversely, I have actively listened to this a few times through and thoroughly enjoyed myself. While it isn't as revolutionary (or perhaps accomplished), this does remind me a bit of some of Basinski's Desintigration Loops (as Derek noted) and also of Johannsson's Englaborn. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:04 AM, Derek™ said:

Any Lawrence English fans here?  I quite dug 2014's Wilderness Of Mirrors, and he's set to release a new album at the beginning of 2017.  For fans of Hecker's earlier material, or anyone who enjoys a little weight, gloom, and bite with their drone, I'd highly recommend hopping on the new album.  The colored variant is unannounced as of now, but comes out to a bit under $30 PPD to the states.  If it's worth noting, the last limited release I ordered from Room40 – Rafael Anton Irisarri's A Fragile Geography, back in 2015 – has since fetched $70 on Discogs. 

a2395614970_16.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Cruel Optimism is a record that considers power (present and absent). It meditates on how power consumes, augments and ultimately shapes two subsequent human conditions: obsession and fragility. This pyramid is an affective ecology of the (ever)present moment. 

This edition owes its title and its origins to the wonderful text of the same name by American theorist Lauren Berlant. I had the fortune to come across her writing almost a half-decade ago. In Cruel Optimism, I found a number of critical readings around the issues that have fuelled so much of the music I have been making recently. Beyond her keen analysis of the relations of attachment as they pertain to conditions of possibility in the everyday, it was particularly her writing around trauma I found deeply affecting. It was a jumping off point from which a plague of unsettling impressions of suffering, intolerance and ignorance could be unpacked and utilised as fuel over and above pointless frustration.

When I made Wilderness Of Mirrors, clouds of unease were overhead. As I have worked through Cruel Optimism, what seemed an unimaginable future just a few years prior, began to present as actual. Over the course of creating the record, we collectively bore witness to a new wave of humanitarian and refugee crisis (captured so succinctly in the photograph of Alan Kurdi’s tiny body motionless on the shore), the black lives matter movement, the widespread use of sonic weapons on civilians, increased drone strikes in Waziristan, Syria and elsewhere, and record low numbers of voting around Brexit and the US election cycle, suggesting a wider sense of disillusionment and powerlessness. Acutely for me and other Australians, we've faced dire intolerance concerning race and continued inequalities related to gender and sexuality. The storm has broken and feels utterly visceral. 

Cruel Optimism is a meditation on these challenges and an encouragement to press forward towards more profound futures. 

Beyond the motivations forging the record, the process by which this edition was created was unlike many of my other records. Having worked largely alone in recent years, I wanted to shift away from that approach. I wanted the opportunity for exchange, to trial new ideas in various spaces and to find myself surprised by the perspectives of others. It was this desire that led me to reach out to friends, old and new, and invite them to contribute to Cruel Optimism. It also led to me using a range of studio spaces to explore new techniques, informed by what I had learned taking Wilderness Of Mirrors on the road for the better part of two years.

I count myself exceptionally fortunate to have been able to call on so many fine musicians in the making of this album. Some of these collaborations were at the foetal stages, acting as important catalysts. Specifically, contributions from Mats Gustafsson, Mary Rapp and Tony Buck were important during this period. Some contributed from afar, including Chris Abrahams and Werner Dafeldecker, who both responded so very kindly to my cryptic notes and hopelessly poetic evocations. Some artists came to visit here in Brisbane such as Norman Westberg, Brodie McAllister, Australian Voices, Vanessa Tomlinson and Heinz Riegler. Others, such as Thor Harris, kindly invited me into their homes to work together. The richness of experience afforded to me during the making of Cruel Optimism is difficult to summarise. It was ultimately a truly rare pleasure to have these exchanges. 

I leave it to you then, to listen as you can. This record is one of protest against the immediate threat of abhorrent possible futures. It’s an object of projection, from me to you and onward from there. I couldn’t be more pleased to share Cruel Optimism with you. 

got mine and it sounds great. i didn't realize that the deluxe copies came signed by lawrence english. nice surprise.

16 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

got mine and it sounds great. i didn't realize that the deluxe copies came signed by lawrence english. nice surprise.

Agreed.  The packaging isn't anything insane but the embossed back (and signature) are really nice touches.  I'm really happy with the way the album itself turned out, but that 192kb/s download code was a joke.

8 hours ago, docbronze said:

Shoot, fellas. Sorry to disappoint. I find it hypnotizing in the best of ways. Surely I could fall asleep to it, but I could fall asleep to most ambient music if I was so inclined. Conversely, I have actively listened to this a few times through and thoroughly enjoyed myself. While it isn't as revolutionary (or perhaps accomplished), this does remind me a bit of some of Basinski's Desintigration Loops (as Derek noted) and also of Johannsson's Englaborn. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Nah, you didn't disappoint.  I was trying to carefully construct a post that didn't come off as ungrateful or snobby, or downplay your tastes.  I'm grateful for any activity in this thread and there's no way I would've checked that artist out in the foreseeable future if it weren't for your post.  It's all good, I was just sharing my first impression since you took the time to share the link to begin with.

I should also really check out Englaborn sometime.

13 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Nah, you didn't disappoint.  I was trying to carefully construct a post that didn't come off as ungrateful or snobby, or downplay your tastes.  I'm grateful for any activity in this thread and there's no way I would've checked that artist out in the foreseeable future if it weren't for your post.  It's all good, I was just sharing my first impression since you took the time to share the link to begin with.

I should also really check out Englaborn sometime.

Zero offense taken. Just responding and expounding. I appreciate the discourse.

ADVERTISEMENT:

I must sell an extra VIP Weekend Pass for the Big Ears Festival in Knoxville next month (Gavin Bryars, Carla Bley, Wilco, etc etc).  I will be flying in buy my wife will not.

It cost almost $600 with fees.   Willing to take a small haircut since I must sell.

It is a will-call ticket package, so you would have to meet up with me in Knoxville.

Thanks, JS

http://bigearsfestival.com/

/ADVERTISEMENT

The band I play in is finally putting out a 12" - 3 songs 25mins of droney/shoegaze stuff.  We've played with Disappears, Weekend, Moon Duo, and Stephen O'Malley in the past.  FFO: Nadja, Early-Sonic Youth, MBV, Earth

We've got three options up w/  a song streaming - https://aimlow.bandcamp.com/album/scratched-out :
* clear vinyl record release edition w/ silkscreened covers - /20
* black vinyl black on silver spray-painted jackets - /55
* clear w/ blue haze vinyl silver on black spray-painted jackets - /110

It's all in Canadian Dollars so I know the shipping may seem insane ($10 CAD if you're in North America), but with the conversion rate, yankees should come out on top hahaha.

Here's a vid of the spray-painting process  -