Ambient Related Releases (Drone, Field Recording, Neo-Classical, Experimental)

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

I was really excited to see how much he had out and then much less excited to see what the asking price for most of it was, ha

I just got Peripeteia in the mail today, they did a second run because the demand was so high. Its weird to see some smaller artists I got into early now so sought after that their records resell for 150+. 

Katie Gately is an experimental sample / vocal artist on Houndstooth.

For some reason, Amazon has deeply discounted her latest album to just $6.93 with free Prime shipping.  Check out the sound samples and read the positive reviews.  It's definitely worth a shot, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/KATIE-GATELY/dp/B07ZW8VWC2

Pitchfork positive review 7.7

Kranky tends to be so weird.  Added 4 Loscil albums to a cart on Bandcamp.  You pay shipping per item, so for 4 LPs it's $23 in shipping.  Stateside.  I know they're double LPs and that's a fair bit of heft, but it ain't $23.  Their response was basically "we price our items very competitively and I think you'll find that even with the shipping factored in, you will have a hard time finding 4 double LPs cheaper elsewhere."  Cool.  I mean I'm not arguing that – breaks out to just about $25 PPD per LP which is dandy – but come on.  Where's that extra $17-18 going?

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Kranky tends to be so weird.  Added 4 Loscil albums to a cart on Bandcamp.  You pay shipping per item, so for 4 LPs it's $23 in shipping.  Stateside.  I know they're double LPs and that's a fair bit of heft, but it ain't $23.  Their response was basically "we price our items very competitively and I think you'll find that even with the shipping factored in, you will have a hard time finding 4 double LPs cheaper elsewhere."  Cool.  I mean I'm not arguing that – breaks out to just about $25 PPD per LP which is dandy – but come on.  Where's that extra $17-18 going?

hmm, where could the profit a business makes be going? probably toward buying the CEO of kranky a new Lambo.

$25ppd 2xlps and you are asking a question like this? come on bud. you are better than that.

4 minutes ago, jrodan said:

hmm, where could the profit a business makes be going? probably toward buying the CEO of kranky a new Lambo.

$25ppd 2xlps and you are asking a question like this? come on bud. you are better than that.

You know that's not what I'm getting at.  It's more about the transparency.  Just list the record as $25 with free shipping – not unheard of on Bandcamp.  I'm not scoffing at $25 PPD for a double LP in 2020.  But is it absurd to ask for a more accurate price breakdown?  On paper it looks like 4 double LPs for $80 + Media Mail would be feasible.  Which, yeah... that'd be worthy of celebrating some insane kudos to Kranky and their modern pricing.  But as it stands, it's actually more lucrative to buy the "stragglers" piecemeal and lump up the remaining LPs on Discogs where possible, since a lot of sellers stock a variety of his albums and bundle shipping costs.  Would've made more sense to just buy them all direct from Kranky, and would've certainly been less of a headache.  But if splitting up orders is going to save me $15 or more... why not?

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

You know that's not what I'm getting at.  It's more about the transparency.  Just list the record as $25 with free shipping – not unheard of on Bandcamp.  I'm not scoffing at $25 PPD for a double LP in 2020.  But is it absurd to ask for a more accurate price breakdown?  On paper it looks like 4 double LPs for $80 + Media Mail would be feasible.  Which, yeah... that'd be worthy of celebrating some insane kudos to Kranky and their modern pricing.  But as it stands, it's actually more lucrative to buy the "stragglers" piecemeal and lump up the remaining LPs on Discogs where possible, since a lot of sellers stock a variety of his albums and bundle shipping costs.  Would've made more sense to just buy them all direct from Kranky, and would've certainly been less of a headache.  But if splitting up orders is going to save me $15 or more... why not?

because at some point you have to decide whether you want to support the band/label directly or whether you want to get the absolute rock bottom pricing. to you, getting transparency in the pricing model is the most important thing. i guess that is your right. do you, but after all that shit you just typed you still could get a bunch of records you want for $25 per 2xlp, which in 2020 is a great deal. not to mention the money is going directly to the artists you care about. 

1 minute ago, jrodan said:

because at some point you have to decide whether you want to support the band/label directly or whether you want to get the absolute rock bottom pricing. to you, getting transparency in the pricing model is the most important thing. i guess that is your right. do you, but after all that shit you just typed you still could get a bunch of records you want for $25 per 2xlp, which in 2020 is a great deal. not to mention the money is going directly to the artists you care about. 

Lol this logic is so flawed it's ridiculous. Siphoning extra profit from consumers via misquoting shipping is ridiculous. They should just be honest and price the records at $25 which is STILL BETTER than most other places, and then quote accurate shipping and everyone is thrilled. 

Just now, jrodan said:

Of course that part is the biggest incentive.

There's closer to 6-7 albums I'd actually order, I just paused after eyeballing my cart with the first 4.  Obviously that increases the disparity even further but it all does boil down to < $26 PPD per 2LP.  Which is really good considering the trend of $35 before shipping, even if these aren't on any fancy variants or whatever.  Not trying to sound petty or ruffled, insisting I'll take my business elsewhere.  And I'm confident I'll definitely be giving Kranky some money, one way or another.  I've just never seen price setup with an explanation like that.

5 minutes ago, rooks said:

Lol this logic is so flawed it's ridiculous. Siphoning extra profit from consumers via misquoting shipping is ridiculous. They should just be honest and price the records at $25 which is STILL BETTER than most other places, and then quote accurate shipping and everyone is thrilled. 

"siphoning extra profit from consumers via misquoting shipping" is the best thing i have read on this board. y'all bitch about everything. it comes down to $25/$26ppd for a 2xlp. i am sorry you dont agree with how they got there. better boycott them and send them a message. you will not be siphoned!

2 minutes ago, jrodan said:

"siphoning extra profit from consumers via misquoting shipping" is the best thing i have read on this board. y'all bitch about everything. it comes down to $25/$26ppd for a 2xlp. i am sorry you dont agree with how they got there. better boycott them and send them a message. you will not be siphoned!

Oh fuck off lmao. You think you're taking the stance of "supporting labels and artists" - I guarantee I've given more money to Kranky over the years than many on this board - and would never hesitate to again. The point is as consumers we have a right to know what we are paying for. 

2 minutes ago, rooks said:

Oh fuck off lmao. You think you're taking the stance of "supporting labels and artists" - I guarantee I've given more money to Kranky over the years than many on this board - and would never hesitate to again. The point is as consumers we have a right to know what we are paying for. 

hey now, no need to curse. you sure seem kranky.

1 minute ago, rooks said:

You got me there. I'm always cranky about inaccurate shipping charges. 

make sure you let kranky know about it! this must not go unpunished! after all the money you have given them over the years (number 1 fan!) this is a slap in your face. godspeed!

Edited by jrodan

Alright, so as someone who doesn't live in the U.S. and would fucking kill for a concept such as "Media Mail" pricing, you're all fools and don't know the absolute privilege you have. 

Any album I purchase, whether 2x LP or not, is going to have at least $15-20 shipping tacked on. Every. Single. One. It's not uncommon for single album purchases to run up to $50-60 with shipping factored in; like the latest F.S. Blumm release. I'm hesitant to purchase a copy since it'll end up costing me well over $60 with the exchange rate and shipping. Thankfully ANOST ships via Royal Mail which is usually fairly priced, but still, shit's expensive. 

Also, free shipping on Bandcamp?!?!? This is news to me. 

Kranky does PPD in the prices in the webstore, so the total pricing is pretty similar per LP as it would be on their bandcamp (they charge $1 more there).  I think that's the double edged sword of PPD prices, you won't be saving anything if you order 1 record or 10 records.  The way the bandcamp pricing works just shows a breakdown you don't see through the webstore.    I usually just order one or two things at a time from them, since there's no monetary incentive to order everything at once.

2 minutes ago, rabbitvinyl said:

Alright, so as someone who doesn't live in the U.S. and would fucking kill for a concept such as "Media Mail" pricing, you're all fools and don't know the absolute privilege you have. 

Any album I purchase, whether 2x LP or not, is going to have at least $15-20 shipping tacked on. Every. Single. One. It's not uncommon for single album purchases to run up to $50-60 with shipping factored in; like the latest F.S. Blumm release. I'm hesitant to purchase a copy since it'll end up costing me well over $60 with the exchange rate and shipping. Thankfully ANOST ships via Royal Mail which is usually fairly priced, but still, shit's expensive. 

I’ve only seen it once or twice at most.  The free shipping.  I’d have to browse my purchases and see if anything rings a bell.

And sure, I get your point.  And I won’t deep-dive into this whole soapbox speech because I’ve probably made it 3-4 times over the years on the boards... but here in the states - as much of a privilege as it may be - it costs a little over $3.00 to ship a record.  Last week I shipped 2 and they each came out to $3.33.  (Should’ve bro’d out and flicked my tongue at the cashier when she rang up my total \m/).  Adding additional records barely increases the cost here in the states.  It’s wondrous.  I don’t take it for granted.  If Media Mail for a double LP is $3.33, it’s probably still $5.00 or less to ship 3 double LPs.  It’s beautiful and I’m not being smarmy when I say that it’s a shame you can’t utilize that, over there.  But it’s why this new trend of $7 Media Mail - for a single LP - is kind of absurd.  Tape and mailers don’t cost that much.  But really, it boils down to what jonrawks just said — PPD values offer 0 savings when “stacked”, even if they’re great deals to begin with.  It’s dumb as hell but perception can be everything; if these were listed as “$25 + free shipping!” on Bandcamp, it would feel like a pretty sweet deal instead of getting re-charged for shipping back to back to back.  That’s all it really is.  The perception.

Anyways, everyone can relax a little since I ended up placing an order with Kranky and giving them money for some of these.  No need to buy them all at once like Jon pointed out, but I did scoop up the ones that were deals compared to available Discogs prices.

14 minutes ago, rabbitvinyl said:

None of the conversation was about anything being "too expensive". If anything -- it was wanting to embrace the "absolute privilege" of media mail by being accurately quoted $7 shipping instead of $20+. Sorry you live in a different country with expensive shipping. I buy records from the UK more often than from the US, so I feel your pain in that regard.

If anything, the point was about cognitive dissonance:

If I'm buying 4 records, and my total cost is $125 dollars - it makes more sense to me for it to be priced:

Record 1: $30

Record 2: $30

Record 3: $30

Record 4: $30

Shipping: $5

Instead of:

Record 1: $25

Record 2: $25

Record 3: $25

Record 4: $25

Shipping: $25

That's all anyone was ever saying.

20 minutes ago, rabbitvinyl said:

like the latest F.S. Blumm release. I'm hesitant to purchase a copy since it'll end up costing me well over $60 with the exchange rate and shipping. Thankfully ANOST ships via Royal Mail which is usually fairly priced, but still, shit's expensive. 

Speaking of this record, I was interested in getting it too, but have not been a fan of his recent stuff. The collab with Nils Frahm was ok I guess.

Also, $60 now is better then 100+ which is what most Sonic Pieces releases go for on aftermarket....

Hey everybody, I wanted to re-approach the idea of a group order from Denovali. Current DHL COVID restrictions mean Denovali can only ship 6-8 record orders from Germany to the US, nothing smaller. They're already sitting on a two record order from me, and I was about to order two more records. But if I can find some other folks who are interested in ordering from them, we can combine those orders, split up the cost of shipping and get them shipped out now. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, PM me. I've got like 7 mailers here, and the more people who order, the more we can spread out the shipping costs (Germany to me, plus $4 for me to ship it to you).

Back in the day, high shipping prices meant this was the only way to order from Denovali, but it seems like it's a good time to re-start the concept.

Edited by smailtronic

On 9/3/2020 at 11:45 AM, JRHews said:

Speaking of this record, I was interested in getting it too, but have not been a fan of his recent stuff. The collab with Nils Frahm was ok I guess.

Also, $60 now is better then 100+ which is what most Sonic Pieces releases go for on aftermarket....

Agreed about his recent stuff, it's a little aimless and not very interesting guitar work. This one sounds a bit more varied at least. That's definitely true about the Sonic Pieces aftermarket prices though, but I think it depends on the artist. I'm lucky to have grabbed limited copies of Otto's "The Lost", Blumm and Nils' "Tag Eins", the original press of the Moon at the Dark I+II, Midoro's "Minor Planet" and Rauelsson's "Mirali" but still...sometimes it just doesn't seem worth it. 

I would really love a first press of Pino though. It's the one I've been hoping to find for a reasonable price for a while now - it's so so so good.