PO on Kickstarter - Sprout: HiFi Stereo Amp

Thought some folks might be interested in this or perhaps would like to discuss. A small/compact, simple amplifier for your setup if you like your audio listening clean and uncluttered.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2022604828/sprout-hifi-stereo-amp-that-transforms-the-way-you

d6db33513eb39e899835a0c02cafd28d_large.j

Kickstarter Price: $450

Retail: $799

Something tells me if someone were dropping $800 on a piece of audio equipment, they'd want a hell of a lot more control than "HOW LOUD?"

I know, right? Because quality is measured by the number of knobs.  :rolleyes:

These must really suck then....

ongaku_01.jpg

Audio Note Ongaku

Dev-240-1.jpg

Devialet 240

EARYoshinov1.jpg

EAR V12

Martin shared my thoughts. Why is an already established audio company asking for money to create a product for people who don't even know what they want? Yet it funded 5x over in 4 days.

Like Zach Braff kick starting his movie last year- he probably had that money already.

I know, right? Because quality is measured by the number of knobs.  :rolleyes:

Didn't say anything about quality. But I still stand corrected.

I guess what I meant is that this is geared for people who don't know much about audio, and those aren't the types of people I would imagine spending $800 on an amp (unless they could do more with it).

Putting it like that I gotta say I agree with you. It kind of feels like they couldn't really decide who the target buyer is. Someone who wants a minimalist amp for a budget system is not going to spend $800 on it. Someone who wants to jump from the budget segment into higher-fi, but doesn't really know much, will need something at least bigger-looking (or like you said more versatile-looking) to warrant a $800 price tag. Experienced gearheads will look at the price and specs and realize that (on paper) this seems like an ovepriced "jack of all trades, master of none" type of thing.

I feel like this should get the infomercial treatment: Start with a black and white clip of some guy clumsily turning knobs and the tangling cables on a larger amplifier, then cut to full HD as the same guy coolly adjusts the volume on a Sprout amplifier while smiling awkwardly and nodding in approval. 

Not trying to say anything bad about the amplifier, just their advertising tactic. 

I feel like this should get the infomercial treatment: Start with a black and white clip of some guy clumsily turning knobs and the tangling cables on a larger amplifier, then cut to full HD as the same guy coolly adjusts the volume on a Sprout amplifier while smiling awkwardly and nodding in approval.

Not trying to say anything bad about the amplifier, just their advertising tactic.

Make sure to include shots of him and his family crowded around his cell phone plugged into it.

I like where this is going.

I would also include a woman playing something on her phone, and when it starts, the volume is way too loud! She struggles to find a way to turn it down and just can't figure it out! So, she just pulls the power cord in frustration.

And, to add insult to injury, the man fumbling with the cables? He also hurts his back standing up straight after spending "hours" bent over trying to plug in the large bundles of cables in his hands.

Martin, I believe he is talking about their integrated amplifier, regardless of it not having digital inputs: http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Stereo-Box-S-Integrated-Amp

As for this product, kickstarter, video, and product...it's really sad. I don't know how many times a company can straight-up lie to the consumer in one video, but they may be going for a record there. It's just all over the place. The fact that this $800 box can give Scott that "concert in my home" type of experience, yet later on he says that his father and him believe that "the pursuit of live sound is a journey, not a destination." Oh, and this little guy will power ALL the speakers and ALL the headphones? It's all just bogus bullshit that they're throwing out there because they can. I'd punch Scott McGowan right in the jaw.

That's no where near the same product.  The Sprout has a connection via bluetooth and a built in phono preamp.  

This thing is basically a small Peachtree type amp and at $400ish dollars, I think it's pretty cool.  I just think that it's weird that PS Audio, who has more than enough money to finance the creation of a product like this is using Kickstarter.