Any fans of the band Battles, tight drumming, or math-rock in general...

...you might enjoy these:

Africastle
Sweetie & Shag
Dominican Fade
Wall Street
Ice Cream
Inchworm
My Machines
Futura
Sundome

^Those videos are from a full live set of John Stanier drum-cam. Over an hour of footage.

Some tracks have long intros because the band would use loops to transition into the next song. So they were split up according to which track the loop's motif fit best.

Hope some Battles/John Stanier/solid drumming/math-rock fans enjoy. :D

If you'd prefer to link directly to the entire album you can click here

To watch them all in a row, as a full set - the way they were meant to be viewed - stream in couch mode here.

I love math rock so much, and those vids are awesome. Favorite math rock drummer is the drummer for Toe, Kashikura Takashi. That man can just groove and play the pocket so perfectly. I hope I can be as good as him someday.

Also somebody just did a drum cover of Invalids - It's A Pipe Bome, Jobriath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq0l6L5FV7E&feature=youtu.be

Invalids is just a guitarist and bassist, so the drums are all programmed but they're fantastic all the same. Been thinking about trying to do a drum cover of Sherman Is Connector by them for a while now, but my drums sound bad and I have no way to record it if I could even pull it off.

Favorite math rock drummer is the drummer for Toe, Kashikura Takashi.

I hear ya. Even as amazing as he is on record, he is even better to witness live, if you can imagine that. He does subtle variations on the recorded material, that always fits and expands on what you'd be familiar with from studying the recordings. So it never throws you off, but it's always fresh and surprising ear-candy. He's so swift and nimble on the kit, his agility is unmatched, in my books. Definitely a great drummer to look up to.

I would recommend you check out Mouse On The Keys, if you haven't already. They are also from Japan and have released albums on Machu Picchu, they are mathy, but not really like Toe. Basically they used to be just the drummer and 1 pianist. The drummer composes all the songs and he used to play drums and keys simultaneously. Keys w/ his left hand and the kit with the remaining limbs. Then they added a 2nd pianist so now he just plays drums/composes the music. So the lineup is now drums and 2 electric pianos [and they occasionally feature additional instrumentation]. They are like a mashup of mathrock and adult contemporary [don't let that scare you away!], it's insane.

Here I'll post a video excerpt... I have their live DVD and the drummer is completely drenched in sweat by the end.

By the way, thanks for checking out those Battles drum vids, glad you enjoy! :D

I was so sad when I wasn't able to see their show in Chicago. I was so excited for their first North American tour too. Hopefully they'll do another one sometime.

I agree with you on Mouse On The Keys. Some of their songs are just so funky and groovy, and the drumming in Spectres De Mouse is so tight it's insane. I had no idea that the drummer did all the composition though, or that he used to play keyboard and drum at the same time. I can't even comprehend doing that.

In a similar vein as Battles though, I've been listening to more And So I Watch You From Afar lately. Always thought they were ok until they released All Hail Bright Futures, and I've been digging it more and more in the past few months.

I was so sad when I wasn't able to see their show in Chicago. I was so excited for their first North American tour too. Hopefully they'll do another one sometime.

I agree with you on Mouse On The Keys. Some of their songs are just so funky and groovy, and the drumming in Spectres De Mouse is so tight it's insane. I had no idea that the drummer did all the composition though, or that he used to play keyboard and drum at the same time. I can't even comprehend doing that.

In a similar vein as Battles though, I've been listening to more And So I Watch You From Afar lately. Always thought they were ok until they released All Hail Bright Futures, and I've been digging it more and more in the past few months.

Yeah, part of the reason I decided to go see Toe was because MOTK came to Canada a little over a year ago, and I skipped out on it. Looking back I realize it was dumb and I should have gone even if I was trying to save up cash. So I'm hoping I'll get a chance to see them in the future. Not just that, but it did influence how quickly I jumped on buying a ticket. Mostly though, Toe has been one of my fav bands for a while, and I figured it's now or possibly never, so I had to go.  I spent over $200 on the bus ticket alone.

I wish Battles was more active...

Yeah, last I heard they were working on a new album, so there's definitely a new record in the pipeline, but I'm not sure how far into the process they are. They are pretty tight-lipped about stuff until it's about to happen, I think. I'm sure they'll be touring the record to coincide with the release, too. I just wish I had gotten a chance to see them as a 4- piece w/ Tyondai. Back in the day loved the EPs, didn't get too into Mirrored. Then I revisited it after Gloss Drop and it grew on me massively and it became a masterpiece, in retrospect.