The o-phish-ial PHISH thread

19 hours ago, warhenrecords said:

Big Boat was so bad. :(

No fucking way, you ought to re-visit this album with a more open mind.  This is one of their better releases.  The production is fantastic, and the stuff all kills.  I usually haaaaate Phish studio albums, but I play this ALL the time.  The horns in Breath and Burning, the percussion in Blaze On, everything about Home, everything about Always Wanted It This Way, EVERYTHING about Friends.... god that song rules so much.  Miss You has poignant lyrics, Tide Turns has that swanky groove and the shaker masking the hi-hat plus Mike's bass...   and then Petrichor.  Waking Up Dead also with those fucking vocal harmonies.  Yes. 

I thought this album was going to suck so hard based on the tracklist, but man... this thing is a  home-run in my book.  Not sure if it bests Fuego, because that album slays as well. 

Seeing the stuff with horns and percussion on Saturday was a treat as well. 

not sure if serious...

the production is the worst part about it imo.

i gave it two listens and that was it.

but i have the vinyl in the to-listen pile, so it will eventually make its way into rotation.

but i honestly  think it's one of their worst albums in their entire canon.

2 minutes ago, warhenrecords said:

not sure if serious...

the production is the worst part about it imo.

i gave it two listens and that was it.

but i have the vinyl in the to-listen pile, so it will eventually make its way into rotation.

but i honestly  think it's one of their worst albums in their entire canon.

Absolutely dead-serious.  The album smokes for me.  I fucking love it.  Friends is epic and weird and heavy and drippy and it's awesome.  A Fishman song leading off an album?  Fuck yes!!!  Blaze On is so much better in-studio with the percussion than it is live.  It bores the fuck out of me live.  I love that they mixed Fish's drums down and put the focus on the percussion. 

Breath and Burning works so much better with the horns playing that melody than Trey's guitar.  And don't get me started on Home.....  that might be my new favorite in-studio Phish moment.  I can't get enough of it.  That raging organ bridge section....  the synths during those "da da dahhhhh" parts....  Page's vocal melodies in the verses....  yes.  I fucking love it. 

My only gripe is that it's a little long-winded.  But you have to be open about it.  This is not supposed to sound like what their live stuff sounds like.  It is a completely separate thing.  Accept that.  And enjoy them for what they bring to the table, songwriting-wise.  Think about the different vibes they're trying to go after with all the different guitar tones and stuff and the way Fishman's drum gear changes depending on the song. 

Go get em man, lots to love about Phish. Big Boat just isn't one of those thing for me. Joy & Fuego are pretty middle-of-the-road records too IMO.

Been on the bus for 20 years. I realize Big Boat is a step in a different direction,  I just don't particularly like it very much.

Also don't really get the guitar tone argument either. Trey's been changing his set up and tone for their entire career, it's just way more frequent lately with more avenues providing the info of what's different.

I do like his new guitar a lot though, WAY more than the Ocelot guitar.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to end up with 2 copies of Party Time because Dry Goods didn't ship my order for two weeks, then when I sent them an e-mail saying "Cancel my order" (and after ordering it someplace else for cheaper) they suddenly said it's already out the door. I know it's still available lots of places, but if it dries up, I have a copy to trade.

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, zdkaiser said:

That's expensive.

It is; I thought all of their reissues were overpriced a bit, and I waited until I got deals on them before pulling the trigger (I found one of the orange Hoists for less than $30). Seems like this one will be limited, though, so I pulled the trigger.

This gives me hope that Billy Breathes will be out within the next year, since A Live One is the next release chronologically after Hoist (and then it's BB).

22 minutes ago, simple_torture said:

It is; I thought all of their reissues were overpriced a bit, and I waited until I got deals on them before pulling the trigger (I found one of the orange Hoists for less than $30). Seems like this one will be limited, though, so I pulled the trigger.

This gives me hope that Billy Breathes will be out within the next year, since A Live One is the next release chronologically after Hoist (and then it's BB).

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping Billy Breathes and Farmhouse come sooner rather than later as they did skip RSD this year....

Pricey but its the only band I fly around the country to see so definitely preordering now!

17 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Fuck, they're sold out everywhere.  Damnit.  Not that I should be spending $100 on a fucking record but..... man, this will sound so great, and I promised myself it would be the only over-priced Phish vinyl I buy.  They rape you with these vinyl prices.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07586VKHR/ ;) 

23 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Fuck, they're sold out everywhere.  Damnit.  Not that I should be spending $100 on a fucking record but..... man, this will sound so great, and I promised myself it would be the only over-priced Phish vinyl I buy.  They rape you with these vinyl prices.

Try that Amazon link that @dreadpiratewendi posted, but also keep an eye on other online retailers--not everyone has posted their stock yet, I don't think. elusivedisc.com usually has most Phish items in stock, and I haven't seen it pop up there just yet.

Sweet, thanks guys.  Probably going to ask for this for Christmas or something.  I just spent $300 on my books for school this semester...  being a broke college student is not fun.  I don't get how people take 18 credits and still work full-time.  There is seriously NOT enough time in the day to get it all done!  I do understand why students drink a lot now though, haha.  /rant

This Hood though!

I'm hoping someday they press a mixture of some late-era live Phish, like maybe a comp of the Denver Tweezer and Ghost, the Camden Chalkdust > Roggae, and the Fukuoka Twist or something, although that would also have to be split up across two discs. 

Up at Elusive Disc:

Phish - A Live One

And ORDERED! 

Ended up being about $1 more than Amazon, and Elusive knows how to package a vinyl LP ;)

Also up at Acoustic Sounds:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/128466/Phish-A_Live_One-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

also excellent.

Edited by Plarocks

• coolio changed the title to The o-phish-ial PHISH thread