The o-phish-ial PHISH thread

1. Clifford ball box set was released to independent retailers, and I heard the price tag was $100 more than what phish was charging on dry goods. Was anyone able to find a link online?

2. Trey has a new acoustic solo album out March 11 on “all digital platforms”. No word of a vinyl release. 

3. I saw LP on LP 1 & 2 on sale for 9.99 each at Newbury comics the other day. Wondering if we will see any more from that series. I still think it’s strange they didn’t pick an archive release for that. Im worried it will go the way of the discontinued live phish cd series. 

13 hours ago, coolio said:

1. Clifford ball box set was released to independent retailers, and I heard the price tag was $100 more than what phish was charging on dry goods. Was anyone able to find a link online?

2. Trey has a new acoustic solo album out March 11 on “all digital platforms”. No word of a vinyl release. 

3. I saw LP on LP 1 & 2 on sale for 9.99 each at Newbury comics the other day. Wondering if we will see any more from that series. I still think it’s strange they didn’t pick an archive release for that. Im worried it will go the way of the discontinued live phish cd series. 

1. Search by the UPC on google for the Clifford Ball box set. Indie shops that have it in stock will show up in the search results. Indie shops are selling it between $450 and $500. The distrubter for this title had a price of $350 for indie record shops, so the $100+ markup is to cover the shop's margins. It sucks, but from the record store employees I spoke with, they paid $350 just to get a copy in their store. Careful with this one though, came out of GZ and some reports of warps are showing up.

2. No clue on this one.

3. The live phish series may be dead, or (more likely) they haven't announced new albums because of the long delays at pressing plants. They may announce new releases once they have them in hand or slightly before manufacturing is complete.

Got this. Nice looking set that for sure. Some quibbles.

Thru Day 1: Can confirm a warp. Mine is on LP1. Can't even play it. Hoping to use the vinyl flat on it later tonight. Hoping for the best.

The individual sleeves are pretty basic (basically a medium stock printer inner). For the price, super basic outers would have been reasonable. Also, Records goes right in them. no inner sleeves included. Luckily, they can fit an inner (using a mofi type sleeve - nothing pokes out)

Also, it would be nice to put the flatbed jam in the box, but its sleeve is standard and 1/8" too big for the clamshell. So thats annoying. 

Sound is pretty good. Some of the usual GZ issues like crackles and surface noise. Didn't really do a thorough cleaning because I was excited to play it, so that will probably help.  

Mastering sounds fantastic. Typical Bellman stuff.

Edited by timsimmons

Also, with warping becoming more and more common because of hurried productions, 180g/200g records should be more common to cut down on warping. I know people get bent out of shape because its a gimmick, but I've been in this hobby for the past 25 years and (anecdotally) I've only had 3-4 very minor warps in the first 23 years but I've had twice as many major warps in the past two. They need to do whatever they can to mitigate this issue. 

Edited by timsimmons

On 3/8/2022 at 3:45 PM, timsimmons said:

Also, with warping becoming more and more common because of hurried productions, 180g/200g records should be more common to cut down on warping. I know people get bent out of shape because its a gimmick, but I've been in this hobby for the past 25 years and (anecdotally) I've only had 3-4 very minor warps in the first 23 years but I've had twice as many major warps in the past two. They need to do whatever they can to mitigate this issue. 

just about every other record i get these days is complete dogshit.  No QC, just pumping out poorly pressed garbage with tons of pressing erros.  Lately it's scratches in one channel, presumably from a rushed press that didn't mold to the plate completely.  It's stupid. 

why is it so hard to make things good?

On 3/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

just about every other record i get these days is complete dogshit.  No QC, just pumping out poorly pressed garbage with tons of pressing erros.  Lately it's scratches in one channel, presumably from a rushed press that didn't mold to the plate completely.  It's stupid. 

why is it so hard to make things good?

All the modern technology is focused on I-phones and Playstations.

Manufacturing records and tapes is a lost and dying art, and is completely different technology.

They can’t even make a good quality tape deck anymore.

18 hours ago, Plarocks said:

They can’t even make a good quality tape deck anymore.

Man that's a whole other story i need to get into haha.  I have so many tapes that need to be played, and I don't know what to get.  Obviously old Nakamichi's but the dragons are fuck-ass expensive and everyone on the Hoffman forums says Ebay is full of scammers, so i don't even know what to do haha. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/13/2022 at 7:03 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Man that's a whole other story i need to get into haha.  I have so many tapes that need to be played, and I don't know what to get.  Obviously old Nakamichi's but the dragons are fuck-ass expensive and everyone on the Hoffman forums says Ebay is full of scammers, so i don't even know what to do haha. 

Find a vintage machine with good specs that has not been run to death.

Take it to a tech that knows how to restore and service tape decks.

Took me over two years to get my vintage deck rolling. But for me it was worth the wait, and the $500.

14 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

Find a vintage machine with good specs that has not been run to death.

Take it to a tech that knows how to restore and service tape decks.

Took me over two years to get my vintage deck rolling. But for me it was worth the wait, and the $500.

Please point me to some good places to look haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Farmhouse is up.

https://drygoods.phish.com/dept/farmhouse

Phish Farmhouse 2-LP Vinyl with Japanese Bonus 7” Vinyl
  • US $64.00
spacer.png

This is a pre-order. Expected ship date is June 28, 2023.

All new 2-LP “Northern Lights” (blue/green) 180g pressing with foil numbered, deluxe gatefold packaging of Phish’s ninth full-length studio album (originally released in 2000), Produced by Bryce Goggin and Trey Anastasio, with accompanying Japanese Bonus 7". This 7” contains the bonus tracks from the Japanese ‘Farmhouse’ album release. By the time Phish started work on ‘Farmhouse’ in fall of 1999, they had played Europe five times (1992, 1996, twice in 1997, 1998) but had yet to venture to Asia. That opportunity came during the summer of 1999 when they traveled to Japan for the first time to play Fuji Rock Festival. Fuji Rock welcomed Phish with open arms, creating a 3-night headline engagement within the festival on an idyllic stage in a separate curated environment known as Field Of Heaven.

When ‘Farmhouse’ was prepped for release on Elektra records in May of 2000, a Japanese edition of the album was created with two bonus tracks from the sessions: “Driver” and “Mist” aka “Mountains In The Mist”. Both these compositions initially entered the live repertoire as acoustic songs with “Driver” debuted by Phish in October 1998 at the Bridge School Benefit. “Mountains In The Mist” was first introduced by Trey in May 1999 on his acoustic and electric solo tour and debuted electrically by Phish that summer in Atlanta. Working with the Japanese label East West Japan, the ‘Farmhouse’ Japanese CD was released in Japan alongside the U.S. import. In an era of digital music, the Japanese bonus tracks soon made the circuit among fans worldwide just as the songs were gaining familiarity in live shows.

PLEASE NOTE: this is a pre-order item. All items in your order will ship on or around the release date. If you would like to receive other items sooner, please place a separate order.

TRACK LIST
‘Farmhouse’ Japanese Bonus 7-inch:
  1. Side A
    1. Driver
    Side B
    1. Mist

Farmhouse
    1. Side A
      1. Farmhouse
      2. Twist
      3. Bug
      Side B