Swans Hype: 2022 Edition

That's really interesting. My friend recommended me go chronological when I first heard My Father Will Guide Me... So maybe we are in an unrelated predicament here, haha. And for what it's worth, I loved Filth when I first heard it. It's still a favorite of mine from their discography. 

That is indeed interesting. Filth is whatever for me; I appreciate what it did for the hand at the time, but even after repeated listens and periodic revisits, it just doesn't impress me like the most of their discography does. I actually appreciate its brevity for that reason – it almost teeters into the boring side for me. But I know that I won't find it cheaper than $18 in the future, and I'll kick myself if the album "just clicks" someday down the road when it's no longer available.

Couldn't disagree more, personally. TBK and Seer are way more accessible and interesting than their older stuff. If I had listened to Filth first, I doubt I'd be a Swans fan today.

Weird. Not to be a contrarian, but it was the opposite for me. I still find myself listening to Filth and Cop more than any of their past few albums.

That's the great thing about Swans: so many lovers, but all for different reasons. And they will remain interesting so long as they continue to evolve. One thing is certain they never make the same LP twice. Ok there are definite periods on their work (noise, drone, acoustic etc) but never the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't get my head around it but I have this weird thing with my turntable that the volume isn't quite levelled and won't be until the needle gets to the middle of the record. So at first I need to turn the volume levels up to maximum almost but when it reaches the middle, it levels out and things get really loud in an instant. So was the issue when I started spinning this.

Needless to say, I near shat myself. In the middle of Black Out the volume levels soar up to their "normal" levels and I'm confronted by the most agonizing of Gira's screams. So now I completely understand what you meant by this.

Filth is up there for me. I believe that it is where I started with the band, but I could be wrong (it has been a while).

I do remember being crushed by it as it blared at full volume in my apartment the first time I played it.

I actually saved my first listen for until I got the vinyl and am very glad I did. Unfortunately I live in an apartment which happens to have some really thin doors so I don't have that luxury of blasting it constantly at full volume. Even when I listen to stuff at 'normal' volume, you can hear the low end into the hallway.

• 6 months later...

Yeah, it's an old Soviet 'onesie' (turntable with integrated amplifier) so it's no wonder.

Seems like 'White Light' will be getting the repress treatment next, as predicted.

Off their fb

Hi. This is Michael Gira here. I have a special request: Do you have an ORIGINAL 2XLP Vinyl edition of Swans White Light From The Mouth of Infinity? If you bought this yourself at the time of release, did it come with a lyric sheet insert???? I have no recollection and I don't possess a copy myself. If you have the original insert (if one exists), please reply below, and I'll Private Message you. I'd like to get a picture of it so I can replicate it for the reissue of this title we're doing soon... Thanks very much! - MG

• Derek™ changed the title to Swans Hype: 2022 Edition