Swans Hype: 2022 Edition

I feel like the everything else thread is a better place for this.  Only because it keeps the conversation in one location.  That and when a conversation like this pops up, they get a bit ugly on these boards.  The people who normally post in this thread seem rather level headed and would stay civil, but who knows.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't talk about this, I'm just saying that the other thread is a better place.

It doesn't matter how well you know someone, or how good of a person they seem to be.

Put in the wrong situation we're all capable of terrible things.  If you're blindly defending this guy (and if you don't personally know him that is what you're doing) you're just in denial that you too are capable of terrible things.

We're all our worst enemy, and pretending we're not is exactly how you end up doing terrible things.

Sorry to get all dark, that was a lot darker than I intended.  But I truly believe that nothing separates me from you from from mother Teresa from Hitler other than the choices you make in the moment.  There is no such thing as a good or bad or evil person, we choose to carry out those characteristics.  And momentum plays a much larger role than we realize.  No one would fault you for that little step towards evil, right?  I mean, there were 30 steps before it, but a drop in the bucket in the ocean, right?

For the record, I have no horse in this game.  I literally have never listened to Swans, and have no idea who either of these people are.  I hate Kesha's "music".  BUT, Derek said something very pertinent.  Innocent until proven guilty, on both sides.  That means it's not fair for us to pass judgement, in either direction, period.

Some levity to bring my point home:

(I know, I know... Godwin's Law ;) )

It doesn't matter how well you know someone, or how good of a person they seem to be.

I feel like this is directed at me when I was the one who said this:

BUT Derek said something very pertinent. Innocent until proven guilty, on both sides. That means it's not fair for us to pass judgement, in either direction, period.

Not siding with either party at this point though. Innocent until proven guilty on both sides as far as I am concerned..

Sorry if not (it wouldn't be the first time I have said something dumb), but I felt like commenting on that.

Edit: I didn't watch the Louis CK video, but is that really the best choice of video when Louis has been accused of sexual assault himself? Anyway, I will try to take myself to the everything else thread as to not clog this one.

I feel like this is directed at me when I was the one who said this:

Nope, not at all, I've honestly not read the vast majority of this thread.  It wasn't directed at anyone, really.  Just general thoughts on the human condition.

Edit: I didn't watch the Louis CK video, but is that really the best choice of video when Louis has been accused of sexual assault himself? Anyway, I will try to take myself to the everything else thread as to not clog this one.

I had forgotten that, but it actually kind of brings home my point even further.  In that I personally find a lot of what Louis CK has to say as quite honest and insightful, but he'll be the first to admit he is a terrible person.

Whoever this Gira guy is, he seems well regarded (hence everyone's hesitation).

To boil down my point to one succinct sentence:   You can be a wonderful person and do a terrible thing, they are not mutually exclusive.

why hasn't there been a press of Soundtracks for the Blind? 

i don't really know what to say about the accusations against Gira. weird circumstances but who knows. i hope it's not like some of the recent examples of this where no answer comes out. if his wife has 100% proof that it didn't happen that would be a nice change of pace from these rape accusations going up on social media and then fizzling out. 

He even admitted it happened in the second statement lol, he went from fiercely denying it to then saying "well something did happen but it wasn't rape!" Gira is a disgusting human being

Hur hur lololollipop let me take my higher platform while looking down at you terrible people with my asshole spyglass. Good people don't act the way you do when trying to be actual non-garbage humans.

Also reading comprehension helps. His statement admitted he was going to cheat on his wife with her but didn't go through with it.

"Larkin Grimm and I headed towards a consensual romantic moment that fortunately was not consummated. As she wrote in her recent social media postings about that night, I said to her, "this doesn't feel right," and abruptly but completely our only intimate encounter ended. It was an awkward mistake."

If you read that and come to the conclusion: "lol yup that animal raped her!" You're in serious need of an English teacher and a psychiatrist.

He even admitted it happened in the second statement lol, he went from fiercely denying it to then saying "well something did happen but it wasn't rape!" Gira is a disgusting human being

honestly I don't see his statements as conflicting at all. he initially said the accusation was a lie, and in his second statement he specified it was consensual and "never consummated", which, if true, would indeed make her accusation slander.

the reason his tone seems so much more calm and collected in his second post is because he obviously lawyered up since his initial kneejerk reaction. it is not an indication of guilt. don't be ridiculous.

at this stage there is no way to know the truth.

The only thing that I gathered from the three statements is that Gira (and his wife) draw the line of what is or is not rape later than his accuser.

Clearly he doesn't think what he did constituted rape, but the lady he was throwing himself at definitely did.

If something is "not consummated" it means he didn't enter her at all. They're not drawing the line of what constitutes rape any differently than anyone else would.

Edit: Also, as mentioned before, can we take this shit to the everything else thread for this?

If something is "not consummated" it means he didn't enter her at all. They're not drawing the line of what constitutes rape any differently than anyone else would.

Edit: Also, as mentioned before, can we take this shit to the everything else thread for this?

He's not (though look up the definition of rape, penitration is not necessarily required).

But she is. If hes telling the truth it was still sexual assault.

And I agree, not sure why the main convo ended up here, but I'll bow out of this thread, I've made my points.

How is it sexual assault if what HE said was true?

Right? If they were "heading toward" a sexual encounter and nothing happened, I still don't understand how we're calling that rape.

Not that I'm saying he didn't rape her, just that I don't think they're drawing the lines any differently.

He's not (though look up the definition of rape, penitration is not necessarily required).

But she is. If hes telling the truth it was still sexual assault.

And I agree, not sure why the main convo ended up here, but I'll bow out of this thread, I've made my points.

yup. This post.

Don't know why I even post on these forums anymore

would y'all mind elaborating on how what Gira described counts as sexual assault? he literally didn't specify anything that happened besides saying it was consensual and it was never consummated. I'm genuinely curious as to how you're reading that statement and deducting "admission of sexual assault" from it without some serious bias

• Derek™ changed the title to Swans Hype: 2022 Edition