PO: DAVID BAZAN Monthly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll sell you my set for what it cost me + shipping from Canada. 

I only bought them to support David, I hardly ever spin 7"s

Weird to see another person here a) living in Hali and b) buying Bazan records. I'll also vouch for Toki being an a+ dude and he would give those records a great home.

• 2 months later...

Attended a Headphones living room date last night and a lot of cool info came to light via audience questions:

1. New Bazan LP has a target release of February 2016. The songs continue in the electronic direction of Monthly Vol. 2, "but there's gonna be guitars on it too."

2. Bazan Monthly was a good experiment, but mostly served as a mechanism for Dave to "get over [his] bruised pussy and just write shit." The goal from here on out is to do an album a year.

3. Monthly Vol. 1 & 2 are both getting LP releases due to popular demand. Purchasers of the 7" sets will get an opportunity to buy the LP versions at cost if they wish.

4. New Overseas LP is "about 60% finished." Remaining songs only need lyrics/vocals/mixing.

5. There are no current plans to do any further Pedro The Lion album tours. The Control tour happened to fall on the anniversary of that album's release but was simply "the most effective way we could think of to raise awareness for and market the re-release of the Pedro vinyl. Jade Tree didn't want to release those albums - fuck those guys - and we were in to the represses about $30,000." Dave also said that he dislikes enough songs on every other Pedro The Lion album to the point that he does not want to play them live.

Kind of annoyed that they'd release the monthly stuff in a less-expensive configuration, after shelling the cash for the two sets. That being said, flipping 7"s frustrating, and I'd much rather spin LPs. Also, I have no problem throwing more money at Bazan if it means more music. 

3. Monthly Vol. 1 & 2 are both getting LP releases due to popular demand. Purchasers of the 7" sets will get an opportunity to buy the LP versions at cost if they wish.

Will buy the 12" versions immediately. 

That being said, flipping 7"s frustrating, and I'd much rather spin LPs.

This is why, despite loving everything Bazan does, I never bought these sets.  I just couldn't stand getting up to my turntable ever 4ish minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Attended a Headphones living room date last night and a lot of cool info came to light via audience questions:

1. New Bazan LP has a target release of February 2016. The songs continue in the electronic direction of Monthly Vol. 2, "but there's gonna be guitars on it too."

2. Bazan Monthly was a good experiment, but mostly served as a mechanism for Dave to "get over [his] bruised pussy and just write shit." The goal from here on out is to do an album a year.

4. New Overseas LP is "about 60% finished." Remaining songs only need lyrics/vocals/mixing.

5. There are no current plans to do any further Pedro The Lion album tours. The Control tour happened to fall on the anniversary of that album's release but was simply "the most effective way we could think of to raise awareness for and market the re-release of the Pedro vinyl. Jade Tree didn't want to release those albums - fuck those guys - and we were in to the represses about $30,000." Dave also said that he dislikes enough songs on every other Pedro The Lion album to the point that he does not want to play them live.

In regards to #3, I just spoke with an Undertow rep today and he said there are no plans for the Monthly Volumes to be pressed to LPs. From the email conversation I had today:

"As far as the LP version of the monthly's, I believe that is just a rumor. I haven't heard about anything about re-releaseing the songs on LPs. Sorry for any disappointment. But I do know Dave is working on a new record. We may see that available early next year."

Not sure who to believe.