Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

The Daysleepers are another great band. This album is going to be pressed soon if you want to check it. Not crazy about their new song though.

Fair and Kind are one of my favorite dream pop bands. This album needs to be pressed. Haha such a cheesy video.

Also Pia Fraus fucking rules. picked up their greatest hits last year from shelflife.

Other fantastic records:

Curve – Doppelganger (1992)

Pale Saints – In Ribbons (1992)

Lush – Split (1994)

Chapterhouse – Whirlpool (1991)

The Verve - A Storm in Heaven (1993)

Secret Shine - Untouched

Bleach - Killing Time 

Black Ryder - Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride

Starflyer 59 - Silver

Panda Riot - Northern Automatic Music

Rocketship - A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness

(I think most of these were mentioned but thought specific albums might help) 

A bit disappointed with Bilinda Butchers' "Heaven." Maybe I expected too much based off of "Edo Method" and "Lover's Suicide."

I'll give the album a couple more listens.

Too much anime pop for you or what? I only heard the two tracks released so far, I'll listen to the DL soon

Good luck finding a copy of "Chrome" for $40.

You were not alone, haha.

Everything pre-Blank is top notch, post-Blank not so much.

Going Blank Again era stuff is pretty great though. Dig this B side from the Leave Them All Behind EP:

Going Blank Again, Nowhere, Ride and Play EPs are all PHENOMENAL. GBA is constantly on my turntable. Word.

Too much anime pop for you or what? I only heard the two tracks released so far, I'll listen to the DL soon

The singer's voice is a bit whiny/nasally, haha. Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk, but I think that's possibly the biggest reason for why, along with the cheesy lyrics and the frequent dialogues.

BUT, I will say that I listened to the album a couple of more times today, and I'm warming up to it. Just a bit though.

Glad to see that a lot of people are digging the album. I just have a weird taste in music.

agreed that the Belinda butchers heaven is likely a top 10 release this year. what an album, edo method is an average song at best in comparison with the other songs on the album.

I cant wait to get my copy! I'm stoked for them to have sold out their copies they have nice range of fans my buddy who's into a lot of jpop & beats says bilinda butchers are high in that crowds radar as well.

(Glassrealms fuck off, you're always creepin' on my posts &  downvoting me the mods told me, and you're never even in the discussion)

Younghusband's album is just so so good.

http://younghusband1.bandcamp.com/track/running-water

I agree.

I actually don't listen to much of this kind of music. Might sound strange but I was 17/18 in the early/mid 90s when the original sound was popular and listened to *a lot* as I was (and still am) a massive vinyl junkie/music fan...so in some ways I don't find it interesting to listen to the genre all over again.

However, some bands like this have caught my attention.

• 3 weeks later...

I now own all three Slowdive albums on vinyl. Just for a Day, Souvlaki, and Pygmalion. I've been looking around, and there seem to be some EPs and compilations on vinyl that are available out there. Does anyone know if anything else from Slowdive, outside of the three albums, that are worth owning on vinyl? Official or unofficial, it doesn't matter to me.

Currently on the fence about the "Hide Yer Eyes" compilation, but I don't know if it's worth picking up.

When it comes to grungey shoegaze like Nothing, Tidelands have been sadly overlooked for years before. They just released a new album, and the first two are great.

http://tideland.bandcamp.com/

I took your recommendation and checked these guys out. Awesome. Ordered Lull from their website.

The Slowdive, Morningrise, Holding Our Breath and Outside Your Room e.p.'s are essential. None of them are in print on vinyl though.

2'nd. My all time fav' songs by them, Avalyn I & II, are exclusively on their selftitled EP. Sooo so happy they played it when I saw them last weekend. After 10+ years of going to shows truly the most amazing concert that I have ever seen. If you are into them and have the opportunity to go, do it. It's breathtaking. 

2'nd. My all time fav' songs by them, Avalyn I & II, are exclusively on their selftitled EP. Sooo so happy they played it when I saw them last weekend. After 10+ years of going to shows truly the most amazing concert that I have ever seen. If you are into them and have the opportunity to go, do it. It's breathtaking. 

I'm seeing them later this month and then twice in November. I saw them back in the day a handful of times. (Once with Ride, once with Catherine Wheel, and then 2 headlining shows.) Needless to say, I've been waiting nearly 20 years for this reunion to happen and I'm excited.

The Prids - awesome shoegaze/ dream pop with male and female vocals. I'd start off with ......Until the World is Beautiful but you can't really go wrong.

Vaniish (yes, two "i"s)- formed from the remains of the brilliant post punk Veil Veil Vanish the new band has a hazy sound that's kinda early 4AD-ish

also, I second whoever mentioned the Cranes!!

and if you want "rainy day" music, Lycia is my go to for that, espically if it's cold & rainy

Can someone give me an example of Shoegaze? I'm having a hard time determining what makes a band/album into Shoegaze.

Or a quick definition would work too.

Deeply textured/layered guitar work, dreamy ethereal vocals. There's more elements, but those are often the most recognizable. The term "shoe-gaze" comes from the huge amounts of effects pedals often used during live performances.

It is a little tricky to explain like this. (Not to say that it's "so good that it's beyond words" or anything.)

I'll save time by just advising that you listen to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine, if you haven't. Chances are you won't love it at first (took me at least 6 or 7 tries to soak it in), but it's generally regarded as the shoegaze holy-book.