Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

Well it is, after all, dream pop and not shoegaze :)

I quite enjoyed that Yumi Zouma, I'll have to check out more, thanks for posting

Brett is okay, but a little too much on the pop side of dream pop for me, at least on first listen.

Yeah Brett is straight up pop for sure with the "dream" quality a bit less a part of the overall sound then say Yumi Zouma where it is a big part of their overall sound.

My next pick will be a bit more dreamy and will feature an artist from a country that has put out some of the best pop music (within many genres) in the last 10 years. Any guesses?

Not sure when they went live, but here for US $21.99 2xLP Gatefold - "Mythologies", $8.00 'standard shipping' bites, doesn't go up if you add something else, forget what the bundle shipping was:

http://wichitarecordings.11spot.com/

UK Wichita Shop:

http://www.wichita-recordings.com/shop/

don't forget the ending "Just Like Honey" scene

I absolutely love both those scenes.  Something about the views of the city while driving with those songs playing.  

Been watching it a few days ago. It's so quiet and mesmerizing. One if my favorite movies and soundtracks.

I agree.

Yumi Zouma - Self-Titled \ EP II

"has already sold out on Cascine and will likely be harder to track down in the coming months"

a new pressing with both EPs on one 12" record has just been announced and is available for pre-order. It looks so amazing, but is simply unaffordable for Euro folks like myself. For anyone else: treat yo'selves!

http://shop.cascine.us/product/yumi-zouma-ep-collection

a new pressing with both EPs on one 12" record has just been announced and is available for pre-order. It looks so amazing, but is simply unaffordable for Euro folks like myself. For anyone else: treat yo'selves!

http://shop.cascine.us/product/yumi-zouma-ep-collection

Ha you beat me to it. Shipping is high to Canada as well but these two EPs (plus the Air France cover) are all great.  Also this is limited to 500 copies so I would grab a copy if I was in the US.  Hell, I will likely pull the trigger anyway.

Unfortunately they chose a Haze pressing :(  99% chance = grit and surface noise to some degree (most of my Haze copies have a lot of surface noise even with VPI cleaning from the record shop 1 hr away (I batched 5 or 6 last year and called him, drove in and he cleaned them and put them on his audiophile set up).

Just sliding the disc into the sleeve and the shipping process, removing from the sleeve is like a sandpaper effect.

For collector value, they're cool to look at. 

nice music, mp3's for me, not rolling the dice on Haze anymore for listening copies.

from the picture it looks more like an Aside/Bside pressing and personally I've never had any issues with those as opposed to haze-effect pressings, but that's mere speculation after all. Like I said, I also won't be able to purchase it anyway because I end up at like $37 after shipping.

Postiljonen - Skyer 

Postiljonen-Skyer-470x470.jpg?1372531526

Pound for pound, there is no bigger producer of great pop music in the last 15 years then the country of Sweden.  The amount of great artists across different genres of pop is pretty ridiculous when you begin to take stock of those that reside within its borders.  Whether it is Balearic Pop (Tough Alliance, Studio, Air France), Indie Pop (Acid House Kings, Jens Lekman), Mainstream-ish Pop (Robyn), or Dream Pop (The Radio Dept.), Sweden has become the unequivocal capitol of pop (at least in my eyes).

Postiljonen is a band that takes their influences from a lot of their countrymen and creates their own brand of Dream Pop.  The band dropped their debut "Skyer" in 2013 and it was criminally overlooked with the exception of a handful of blogs who championed them. The album is a bit interesting in the sense that some songs may feature more non traditional instrumentation that would be used in the genre (i.e. saxophone) or start off whispy and hazy only for the chorus to kick in and the song almost becomes a bit of a banger.  That said, the band does not stray too far from their blueprint however and singer Mia Bøe's hushed vocals keeps the band firmly rooted.  

You can purchase their record on their site here: http://merchworld.se/products/hybris-records/2985/skyer-postiljonen-2

Check out their reworking of Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" in the album highlight "All that We Had Is Lost".

Postiljonen - Skyer

Postiljonen-Skyer-470x470.jpg?1372531526

Pound for pound, there is no bigger producer of great pop music in the last 15 years then the country of Sweden. The amount of great artists across different genres of pop is pretty ridiculous when you begin to take stock of those that reside within its borders. Whether it is Balearic Pop (Tough Alliance, Studio, Air France), Indie Pop (Acid House Kings, Jens Lekman), Mainstream-ish Pop (Robyn), or Dream Pop (The Radio Dept.), Sweden has become the unequivocal capitol of pop (at least in my eyes).

Postiljonen is a band that takes their influences from a lot of their countrymen and creates their own brand of Dream Pop. The band dropped their debut "Skyer" in 2013 and it was criminally overlooked with the exception of a handful of blogs who championed them. The album is a bit interesting in the sense that some songs may feature more non traditional instrumentation that would be used in the genre (i.e. saxophone) or start off whispy and hazy only for the chorus to kick in and the song almost becomes a bit of a banger. That said, the band does not stray too far from their blueprint however and singer Mia Bøe's hushed vocals keeps the band firmly rooted.

You can purchase their record on their site here: http://merchworld.se/products/hybris-records/2985/skyer-postiljonen-2

Check out their reworking of Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" in the album highlight "All that We Had Is Lost".

Was one of my favorites from 2013. Still needing to pick this up tho.

Was one of my favorites from 2013. Still needing to pick this up tho.

It is a great release (actually just pun while here at work on Spotify).

Full disclosure, I bought the vinyl off of the band's site and the shipping packaging was not the best. As such, my copy and a big bend on the right hand top corner (I mean a bend of around 3 square inches). So buyer beware...

I hope that people do not mind me posting these recommendations in here and at least a few people are getting something out of it. I am doing my best to space out the posts as pages of YouTube videos is no good for anyone.

Anyway, if people want me to continue, I will probably go next with a band who really innovated the sound that it's forefathers (Cocteau Twins, New Order/Joy Division, The Cure) helped establish. Their approach took them from being just another post punk Factory band to having an impact on everyone from Wild Nothing, Beach Fossils and an entire, influential record label.

I hope that people do not mind me posting these recommendations in here and at least a few people are getting something out of it. I am doing my best to space out the posts as pages of YouTube videos is no good for anyone.

Anyway, if people want me to continue, I will probably go next with a band who really innovated the sound that it's forefathers (Cocteau Twins, New Order/Joy Division, The Cure) helped establish. Their approach took them from being just another post punk Factory band to having an impact on everyone from Wild Nothing, Beach Fossils and an entire, influential record label.

Yeah man, no worries. Keep it all coming.

93MMFTS has 4 new tracks out. Safe to say if you like their previous material, all 4 tracks hit their previous patterns.

My favorite is that tinny, drone-gaze, super hazy/fuzzed out sound - track 3 "Never Know Why" on the new EP: "Nothing Left Inside".  Puts me in a trance every time.

https://93millionmilesfromthesunofficial.bandcamp.com/album/nothing-left-inside-ep

3 quid. Says d/l only release.

93MMFTS has 4 new tracks out. Safe to say if you like their previous material, all 4 tracks hit their previous patterns.

My favorite is that tinny, drone-gaze, super hazy/fuzzed out sound - track 3 "Never Know Why" on the new EP: "Nothing Left Inside".  Puts me in a trance every time.

https://93millionmilesfromthesunofficial.bandcamp.com/album/nothing-left-inside-ep

3 quid. Says d/l only release.

Thanks for the heads up on this!  I will take any 93MMFTS I can get at this point.

cough cough

The Wake - Here Comes Everybody + Singles

152999.jpg

The Wake are one of those bands that started out as a group that blended in too much within their scene upon inception and then almost overnight, became too ahead of their time without really any home at all (for a while anyway).  Their music would go on to influence an entire record label (Sarah Records) along with many within the Captured Tracks stable (Wild Nothing, Beach Fossils and Spell Crafts have all covered The Wake on special 7" releases for the label) along with countless other artists.  The Drums proudly proclaimed that they started their band with the goal to mould their sound after The Wake.  So why is it that that band had only gained attention from small pockets of fans scattered throughout 4 decades?  

After a self-released single, the band signed to Factory Records and released their first full-length record (Harmony) sounding like a Movement-era New Order release.  After a few line-up changes and the release of a few singles, the band went back to the studio to release what would become the best album of their career, the 1985 release "Here Comes Everybody".  The album takes the early New Order and Cure influenced post-punk sound and then introduced a dreamy quality.  Hushed, reverb filled vocals and angular effects-laden guitar lines were complimented with synths that just hovered in the background. Some of the songs fit the standard pop timing (i.e.  World of Her Own) while others would float past the 6 minute mark which album highlights "O Pamela" and "Melancholy Man" are a prime example of.  The album admittedly is not filled with immediately catchy songs but is really more focused on establishing a mood and as a whole, works wonderfully.  It is easy to see how the atmosphere that they created has influenced Jack Tatum of Wild Nothing.

Check out "Melancholy Man" here:

Not only did the The Wake help innovate upon the Dream Pop blueprint but they also practically invented the sound of the jangly indie dream pop sound with the release of one song; "Pale Spectre".  Pale Spectre proved to be an even bigger leap forward for the band with not a hint of their former post-rock sound left.  Pale Spectre is pure shimmering dreamy pop with a bounce and sweet angelic vocals; a sound that bands like "The Field Mice" and "The Pains of Being Pure at Heart" would further develop and make a career of (this is not a bad thing by the way).  There are a number of other great songs they would release as well as singles such as "Gruesome Castle" and "Plastic Flowers".  Have a listen of Pale Spectre" here:

If you can find the Captured Tracks reissue of Here Comes Everybody + Singles, it is very much worth it.  It collects the HCE LP on one vinyl and then the crucial singles on another (also comes with a sweet 12 x 12 booklet as well). 

thebunk: you definitely have a passion for the music, and much knowledge - glad you hung around to contribute to this thread! I have learned a ton.

The major I thing I learned is I definitely love dream-gaze, but probably only very little of dream-pop, per what you have posted. 

I grew up listening to radio in the 70's, top40, pop, so-called classic rock now - so I think of BeeGee's, Leo Sayer, even some Chicago, tons of stuff in the pop realm, and of course, it morphs in the 80s after New Wave, getting synth... and to keep this short, I never really got into much pop, very selective. Hit and miss. Such is subjectivity of music.

I like the Cranberry's song "Stars" - that's kind of poppy, right?  And Canadian group "Stars", some of their songs are real poppy, and Amy Millan's "Skinny Boy".  Seems like a lot of the pop today I hear/heard at the skating rink when taking the kids up there on Saturdays. Bubblegum music.  Not too much 'dreamy' stuff finds it's way there, except for the obligatory slow-dance/romantic style materia.

Lush's album Split is my favorite. It belongs in this thread, but the individual songs cross a spectrum of sounds.

That's my 2c.  Looks like I'm not a dream-pop kinda guy after all :(

Hey no shame in what you like and dislike. Everyone is different and while I LOVE Shoe Gaze, Dream Pop as a specific music style gets thrown into a bunch of different genres. A lot of time it is rolled up into other genres (see the title of this thread as an example). I think because when a Shoegaze/PostPunk/Indie band does a "softer" / ballad style of song, it is very easy to go with the dream pop crutch. Due to this, I have tried to focus on artists that stay in this genre or those that have released an album specifically is this genre (ie The Wake).

Anyway, thank you very much for the feedback. It is refreshing to get a mature response with respect to a topic that one may not enjoy but seemed to give it a genuine shot which I do appreciate.

Cheers.