Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty good stuff.    

https://leavetheplanet.bandcamp.com/album/nowhere-e-p

Anyway, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart are one of my favourite bands, does anyone have any reccomendations to similar stuff?  I know all the heavy hitters, but maybe some smaller bands?  I have hardly been listening to anything new recently, and I'm getting bored with a lot of stuff.

On 7/10/2016 at 0:53 PM, drds89 said:

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh!!!!

Lowtide has repressed their phenomenal debut S/T in Translucent Red - only 100 copies - and if your in AUS, order off their bandcamp, o/w Rough Trade is distributing them. Their first press was /300 Black and $$$ due to shipping.

The total came to less than $25ppd to the US, because Rough Trade 1. takes the VAT out 2. the GBP is <1.30 due to Brexit, and 3. RT has decent shipping prices to the US.

I hesitated on the first press, because of shipping $$$ from AUS, but later ended up finding a lonecopy in a Japanese record shop online with incredible shipping, (page 4 on Google search!), but I couldn't help getting this 2nd press as a backup. I couldn't afford to fly Alligatordogtaco back to AUS to pick up this repress ;)  (thanks for picking up the Julia/Spring 7" Jonathan!)

If you haven't heard them, Held and Blue Movie are just mesmerizing tracks for me:

Lowtide: Lowtide

Can order from Rough Trade here:

Order from Rough Trade

These are supposed to ship tomorrow, iirc. Anyone know if Rough Trade charges you based on the rate when you bought it, or the current rate? I think the pound gained a bit since I ordered.

Edit: Just checked my account and it said it shipped today. I guess I'll check my bank statement when I'm home to see. I guess it's only a few cents difference anyway.

Edited by Thomas³

1 hour ago, parkinglot said:

Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty good stuff.    

https://leavetheplanet.bandcamp.com/album/nowhere-e-p

Anyway, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart are one of my favourite bands, does anyone have any reccomendations to similar stuff?  I know all the heavy hitters, but maybe some smaller bands?  I have hardly been listening to anything new recently, and I'm getting bored with a lot of stuff.

Have you listened to all the side bands from the members of PoBPaH?

11 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I think I'm approaching my 1-year anniversary of waiting for that Lovesliescrushing kickstarter to show up.  Time sure does fly.

He posted another Kickstarter update tonight:

Hello everyone, I apologize for taking forever and not posting as regularly as I used to, life and exhaustion took its toll.

Don't fret records are still being sent out, if I have to hand deliver them to each and every last fan, I will and as folks in Chicago have seen, I have.

The last of the domestics are going out in the next few days, finally, a light at the end of tunnel. International folks don't worry, I'll be contacting you all individually as your record gets sent out.

Thank you all for your words of kindness and for making this all possible.

22 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

These are supposed to ship tomorrow, iirc. Anyone know if Rough Trade charges you based on the rate when you bought it, or the current rate? I think the pound gained a bit since I ordered.

Edit: Just checked my account and it said it shipped today. I guess I'll check my bank statement when I'm home to see. I guess it's only a few cents difference anyway.

I think it's the rate when the charge is made, which can go either way depending on exchange rates. GBP is still way down vs usual - like you said maybe a few cents more than a few weeks ago.

Just now, drds89 said:

I think it's the rate when the charge is made, which can go either way depending on exchange rates. GBP is still way down vs usual - like you said maybe a few cents more than a few weeks ago.

Yeah, the charge ended up being $25.54 (which was maybe 4 cents more :P). Not bad at all for a record from the UK. A hell of a lot better than it would have been a year or two ago.

Tender Age is doing another /25 run on the Disappear Here EP. Supposed to be going up at 12:00 noon today, I assume PST since they are in Oregon.

I really like the single, but the EP pushes my experimental boundaries a bit too much -- like they say  on their page --  headphone music.

Chaotic, noisy experimental cacophony is randomly interspersed with some catchy parts. 

They were pricey the first go around, we'll see what the tab is but I'm probably out.

I'd agree with this review - well stated

OSW0yY2.png
Corner Soul - Scatterbrain

Not vinyl, but fans of shoe gaze / dream pop will love this record - specifically fans of Sonic Youth, Iceage, DIIV, that sort of thing. This guy writes and records everything himself - seriously talented.

Free stream / download and limited edition of cassettes here:
https://granitetapes.bandcamp.com/album/scatterbrain

5 hours ago, jhulud said:

No. They have 100 total pressing of the LP that they did. They're putting up 25 online. The rest are available on the tour they're doing right now.

Man, their tweet was a bit deceptive then, but a clever marketing ploy to move those other 75 Clear. I see the details on bandcamp now - wasn't up earlier -- and only a few of the 25 left. Only 2 per show as well. 

14 hours ago, drds89 said:

Tender Age is doing another /25 run on the Disappear Here EP. Supposed to be going up at 12:00 noon today, I assume PST since they are in Oregon.

I really like the single, but the EP pushes my experimental boundaries a bit too much -- like they say  on their page --  headphone music.

Chaotic, noisy experimental cacophony is randomly interspersed with some catchy parts. 

They were pricey the first go around, we'll see what the tab is but I'm probably out.

I'd agree with this review - well stated

Thanks for this. I've ordered. As I was around for the 90s shoegaze era, anything like this i.e. a little different appeals to me. I didn't even listen to it much, just bought but the description made it sound a little like Son Lux.

Flyying Colours first full length, up on ClubAC30. 15GBP, 2 flavors /350 each. 9.75GBP shipping to USA.  Norman Records usually distros ClubAC30 for the same price but shipping is much less. Be nice if one of the distros that takes the VAT out would get some. I have enjoyed their EPs a bunch.

Flyying Colours: Mindfulness

Well...The Tender Age - Disappear Here EP that was supposed to be an 11" lathe cut limited to 25 with handmade artwork and whatnot became a 12" clear vinyl with screenprinted wraparound sleeve with "handmade" artwork consisting of a glitter start glued to the cover, a screenprinted double-sided insert, and a satin pouch to put it all in.

DSCN5926.jpg

<_<