Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

2 hours ago, jrodan said:

I feel the same way, yet no one seemed to notice my post haha. that new secret shine album is gonna be in my top 10 list at the end of the year for sure.

I did, and definitely take your rec's seriously, just feel sometimes like I post too much here. Don't want to go Gumbo on shoegaze lol.

Still warming up to the new Secret Shine album ....

Absolutely agree on Darla, love them, their prices and customer service!!

2 hours ago, shamrocks said:

I dont suppose theres any Saint Marie discount codes floating around out there...

Sometimes he runs 15-25% off discounts, usually when I'm tapped. But see jrodan above, Darla records distributes all their stuff and often for less and shipping prices are great.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Kindling / Kestrels split 12" in the mail yesterday (going to give it a listen next).  Came with a nice little note from Kindling saying they've finished recording their next LP and are hoping for a fall or winter release and they plan on touring in my direction around that time.

available at amazon here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716JH6Q5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494603362&sr=8-2&keywords=catherine+wheel+vinyl

and at bullmoose slightly cheaper here http://www.bullmoose.com/p/25160064/catherine-wheel-ferment-mixed-orang-gold-vinyl

release date on amazon is 6/30 but is listed on BM as 6/23

1 hour ago, Andthejets27 said:

available at amazon here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716JH6Q5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494603362&sr=8-2&keywords=catherine+wheel+vinyl

and at bullmoose slightly cheaper here http://www.bullmoose.com/p/25160064/catherine-wheel-ferment-mixed-orang-gold-vinyl

release date on amazon is 6/30 but is listed on BM as 6/23

MOV says 6/23 as well. Typically Amazon ships so that it reaches me on the release date (or the next day). Does BM do this?

2 hours ago, Monastic_mike said:

MOV says 6/23 as well. Typically Amazon ships so that it reaches me on the release date (or the next day). Does BM do this?

They're pretty good about it.  I usually have an LP from Bullmoose pretty close to release date (sometimes a day or two early, sometimes a day late).

I'll be getting mine sometime in early July it seems (according to Amazon). I'm super excited for this and also for when Chrome is repressed. Chrome represents a long and arduous 10 year span of my life. I regard it as a top 20 all time favorite album but haven't listened to it for almost a decade. Owning it on wax will be bittersweet to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...

Dirt Devil - S/T 

Formed in 2015, Dirt Devil is a rock band from Western Massachusetts. Dirt Devil draws on a range of musical influences from dream pop to hard rock. The group often incorporates visual elements into live performances and music videos using costumes and sets.

“Dreamy punk with a strong overdriven punch, sleepy lullaby compositions with a surf pop haunt. It’s heavy like your eyes when it’s time to drift into a dream, but overdriven enough to match the volume of the thoughts that keep you awake.” –Maximum Rock N Roll

Available for pre-order here

http://redscrollrecords.com/dirt-devil

It seems The Lonely Sea & The Sky from 93millionmilesfromthesun is getting a vinyl press.  A diy label, called String Light. Limited to 300.

I tried to find a pre-order link but it seems they are doing the newsletter link thing. Their site needs work though. Lets see how it goes.

I can't wait, this is one of my favorite releases this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPtdMIGs6Nw&feature=youtu.be

Edited by RobertSmith

4 minutes ago, RobertSmith said:

Ok explain it to me. 

Name one SMALL DIY label that has charged less for a 2xLP. 

Well, for starters, nothing I can write in this post will flip on a light switch that'll make you - personally - reassign your monetary value for this record or double LPs in general.  If it's worth it to you and you've decided you're going to spend the money, go for it.  My post was referring to the "well, X is charging this much for Y, so I guess that's the new going rate, oh well".  You're not the only person to fall back on that logic here at VC, and it's just dangerous for the cost of vinyl as a whole.

Yes, the general cost of items rise over time.  No, I do not expect to buy double LPs for $22-$25 for the rest of my life.  But there are absolutely exceptions.  I'm at work and unable to scour the list of what I've purchased this year, but how about smaller self-ran labels like Topshelf, or Deathwish Inc.?  I get that their products may not be personally "hand assembled" in runs of 300, but I also feel like there are plenty of labels out there that still offer double LPs for < $35 PPD.  That means if that was the average or acceptable price for a double LP, you wouldn't be able to afford 3 albums for $100.  And if that was slowly accepted as the norm (and raised for special occasions where records have "hand-sewn jackets" and "handwritten lyric sheets"), eventually you wouldn't be able to even afford shoes to gaze at while you listen to your records.

16 minutes ago, THE_James_Champ said:

I corrected this, FYI, I had my albums confused.

17 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Well, for starters, nothing I can write in this post will flip on a light switch that'll make you - personally - reassign your monetary value for this record or double LPs in general.  If it's worth it to you and you've decided you're going to spend the money, go for it.  My post was referring to the "well, X is charging this much for Y, so I guess that's the new going rate, oh well".  You're not the only person to fall back on that logic here at VC, and it's just dangerous for the cost of vinyl as a whole.

Yes, the general cost of items rise over time.  No, I do not expect to buy double LPs for $22-$25 for the rest of my life.  But there are absolutely exceptions.  I'm at work and unable to scour the list of what I've purchased this year, but how about smaller self-ran labels like Topshelf, or Deathwish Inc.?  I get that their products may not be personally "hand assembled" in runs of 300, but I also feel like there are plenty of labels out there that still offer double LPs for < $35 PPD.  That means if that was the average or acceptable price for a double LP, you wouldn't be able to afford 3 albums for $100.  And if that was slowly accepted as the norm (and raised for special occasions where records have "hand-sewn jackets" and "handwritten lyric sheets"), eventually you wouldn't be able to even afford shoes to gaze at while you listen to your records.

I agree with you. All your points are valid, and make sense. That being said...Club AC30, Sonic Cathedral, Newbury (ones I could think of), while goes against your point of X and Y, are selling records for well above that range, in terms of 2LP sets. And thats taking into accounts that they are buying 1000 of these and not just 300, which should make the price go down, not up. I believe if Topshelf and Deathwish, started their label this week, their LPs would be $36 PPD. They are self run, but have been in the business for a very long time. How much do the so-called "Deluxe" 2LP editions for all the latest Relapse sell for? I paid $40 for my True Widow, and all that had was a turntable mat. I have to go by what the standard is, because, what other way are you going to set the bar on prices? Yes, if you think in an economics way, yes, makes complete sense. I tried to start a diy awhile back, and unless you do Pirate Press, its just too much money to press vinyl, especially in small runs. 

Edited by RobertSmith

49 minutes ago, RobertSmith said:

Ok explain it to me. 

Name one SMALL DIY label that has charged less for a 2xLP. 

http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/ - $20 2LPs on the reg.

Also that's proper gatefold, 2lp colored vinyl, with liner notes. PLUS HUGE included newspaper-style posters for future releases and 95% of the time an included CD or 2 of old releases as well.

For $20.

Edited by rooks