Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

• 2 weeks later...

9 hours ago, mappingtheyears said:

Been hoping for a full-length from these guys for quite some time. This came as a nice surprise.

https://keepva.bandcamp.com/album/for-your-joy

Wes and Nick are great guys, and only an hour away. Love all their songs on the EPs -- can still put on repeat and never get tired - and this LP really opens them up a bit more. Highly recommend checking them out! I think they finally found a regular bassist as well. Tons of energy live. Since MayFly is no more they were talking to other labels vs. DIY'ing it all the way.

I didn't think this needed it's own thread, but still warranted a post somewhere. 13 years later Flotation Toy Warning has put out a new album, and holy fuck it's gorgeous. 

Dream/Indie Pop, Psychedelic, and very ethereal sounding, some o you might dig it.

v600__TAL095__FTW_-_The_Machine..._Cover_Artwork_1000x1000.jpg

http://shop.talitres.com/products/591663-the-machine-that-made-us

1 Controlling the Sea
2 Due to Adverse Weather Conditions All of My Heroes Have Surrendered
3 Everything That is Difficult Will Come to an End
4 A Season Underground
5 I Quite Like it When He Sings
6 King of Foxgloves
7 When the Boat Comes Inside Your House
8 Driving Under the Influence of Loneliness
9 To Live for Longer Slides
10 The Moongoose Analogue

Drums — Steve Swindon
Guitar, Bass — Ben Clay (2)
Guitar, Bass, Vocals — Nainesh Shah
Keyboards, Sampler, Vocals — Vicky West
Lead Vocals, Sampler, Programming — Paul Carter (4)
CD: digipack three panels with booklet (16 p.), matt paper. 
VINYL: Double LP gatefold. Uncoated paperboard sleeve, printed inner sleeve. Comes with a free download code.
Please note: 
> this is a pre-order. Pre-orders will ship by or before the June 16th release date. If you have a pre-order item in your purchase, your order will not ship until the pre-order does. 
> all vinyl pre-orders will receive a free copy of Flotation Toy Warning new 7 inch 'King of Foxgloves'. (Side A: King of Foxgloves | Side B: Driving Under The Influence of Loneliness 'Demo version' + Made from Tiny Boxes 'Encore') >> In partnership with agnès b.
> vinyl version (2LP / Gatefold) of Flotation Toy Warning debut 'Bluffer's Guide To The Flight Deck' is also back in stock.
“swirls of guitar, looped samples and beautifully bereft vocals to beguiling lo-fi effect, recalling both DIY Flaming Lips and the glitchyside of Sparklehorse……Buckled but beauteous, psychedelic Victoriana with beats” Time Out

On 6/20/2017 at 9:36 PM, jhulud said:

^^^ I wonder if they'd be up for working with us at MOMR to put it out on vinyl.

I messaged Wes on twitter re: if they were thinking DIY like Rosetta  vs. label since Mayfly is now defunct; and that I back you and Austin hard re: any physical release.

I honestly don't know how any of the business/contract stuff works, but I know MOMR does quality product and with a personal touch --- heart and soul, blood, sweat and tears.

5 hours ago, drds89 said:

I messaged Wes on twitter re: if they were thinking DIY like Rosetta  vs. label since Mayfly is now defunct; and that I back you and Austin hard re: any physical release.

I honestly don't know how any of the business/contract stuff works, but I know MOMR does quality product and with a personal touch --- heart and soul, blood, sweat and tears.

Thanks for doing that, Don! Immensely appreciated. I'm going to email them soon after I've discussed it further with Austin. He's on board though. 

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

The Catherine Wheel - Ferment MOV reissue is up for PO at SoundStage Direct: 

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/catherine-wheel-ferment-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml

Order quick if you want to snag one of the /1500. They tend to go quick when SSD has any MOV releases. 

Thanks.  Any idea how you'll know (prior to receiving) that you're getting the limited?

10 minutes ago, August West said:

Thanks.  Any idea how you'll know (prior to receiving) that you're getting the limited?

In the item description, they'll take out the "First Pressing Of 1,500 Numbered Copies On 180 Gram Orange And Gold Mixed Vinyl" from the info as soon as they run through their allotment of it. As long as it still shows it, you should be good. So order it. 

8 minutes ago, jhulud said:

In the item description, they'll take out the "First Pressing Of 1,500 Numbered Copies On 180 Gram Orange And Gold Mixed Vinyl" from the info as soon as they run through their allotment of it. As long as it still shows it, you should be good. So order it. 

Done and done, thanks.  Not relevant to this thread at all, but picked up Blackstreet   Another Level MOV pre order as well, ha. 

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

The Catherine Wheel - Ferment MOV reissue is up for PO at SoundStage Direct: 

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/catherine-wheel-ferment-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml

Order quick if you want to snag one of the /1500. They tend to go quick when SSD has any MOV releases. 

It's been up on BM for a while too. I snagged one a while back when someone mentioned it.  :)

I think as long as you get an order in relatively quickly you should get the /1500.

Edit: NVM, apparently Bullmoose sold through theirs.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

On 3/31/2017 at 8:21 AM, jrodan said:

btw, two new albums just came out on Saint Marie (possibly the best shoegaze label going) and you should give them your time.

Secret Shine

http://www.saintmarierecords.com/products/585927-secret-shine-there-is-only-now

Seasurfer

http://www.saintmarierecords.com/products/585928-seasurfer-under-the-milkyway-who-cares

the Secret Shine album especially is gorgeous front to back.

Secret Shine is insanely good.  I think I still like The Cherry Wave - Shimaru as my SG album of this year but Im blown away by the postrock choral and Britpop influences (I feel like the chorus of "Burning Stars" more than borrows from Charlatans "The Only One I Know")...and the 8 bit synth scattered throughout is a nice distraction before you get pounded by guitar/drums/synth.  Im going to need a lot more time with this one.

Edited by shamrocks

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone missed it, Saint Marie has clarified the options for Secret Shine Singles 1992-1994 (basically GTG 10" + Ephemeral and Loveblind)

/250 each of Black, Pink, Blue and Green, $2 extra for colors, but still reasonably priced as always.

Very stoked to not have to fork out >$100 for a 10" to hear 5 of my favorite tracks of theirs (GTG), and be all nervous about dropping it or scratching, etc.

Sant Marie: Secret Shine Singles 1992-1994

Between this and Alison's Halo, 2017 has pretty much delivered my 1990's fix. Everything else is icing on the cake! :)

16 minutes ago, drds89 said:

In case anyone missed it, Saint Marie has clarified the options for Secret Shine Singles 1992-1994 (basically GTG 10" + Ephemeral and Loveblind)

/250 each of Black, Pink, Blue and Green, $2 extra for colors, but still reasonably priced as always.

Very stoked to not have to fork out >$100 for a 10" to hear 5 of my favorite tracks of theirs (GTG), and be all nervous about dropping it or scratching, etc.

Sant Marie: Secret Shine Singles 1992-1994

Between this and Alison's Halo, 2017 has pretty much delivered my 1990's fix. Everything else is icing on the cake! :)

thanks for this. now for my turn to remind everyone that Darla.com is almost always cheaper for Saint Marie releases, and this is no exception.

https://darla.com/products/secret-shine-singles-1992-1994