Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

On 10/12/2018 at 11:03 AM, mrewest said:

New Manon Meurt album (MMXVIII) dropped today.  Seems to be on Spotify but not Bandcamp.  Making my 2nd pass through right now.  It’s pretty fantastic.  No immediate epic standouts like their first had (Until You Can, Blue Bird) but the whole album start to finish flows beautifully.  Songs are mostly slower paced & more melancholic but Neon is a perfect “upbeat” banger to break up the album.  The vocals are cleaner this time around as well.  Not as blended into the instrumentation as most shoegaze. But damn her voice is beautiful.  I think this will take a few listens to really reveal all the layers & start to click, but I’m already enjoying it thoroughly.  

I would not have known it was the same band, but I love this album. I don't have too many in the 90% dream category, but her voice is butter I can melt into.

Wish the vinyl wasn't so expensive to ship, but I understand it's the times we live in. Maybe if they don't move as expected, in a few months the label would be willing to lift the 1 LP per order limit and a group buy may be possible.

10 hours ago, drds89 said:

I would not have known it was the same band, but I love this album. I don't have too many in the 90% dream category, but her voice is butter I can melt into.

Wish the vinyl wasn't so expensive to ship, but I understand it's the times we live in. Maybe if they don't move as expected, in a few months the label would be willing to lift the 1 LP per order limit and a group buy may be possible.

100% in for a buy on MM if it happens. “Song of the Sea” alone would make it worth it.

10 hours ago, mrewest said:

100% in for a buy on MM if it happens. “Song of the Sea” alone would make it worth it.

I also like the tracks they have bowed guitar like Sigur Ros. If they sell out I'll be happy for them, but I'm still thinking the label may be more approachable down the road.

Managed to find a copy of DIIV - Is The Is Are at Amoeba Records in LA on Saturday for only $20.99!  It had a corner ding....  who cares.  Record sounds pretty good!  It's one of the flimsiest records I think I've ever seen but it sounds pretty good, not terribly noisy either!  Definitely highly recommend this, and can't wait to see them in a couple weeks with Deafheaven!

Following their awesome debut LP Pink Noise there is a repress of the long sold out Echo Ladies self titled 10" coming 16th November along with a new 7" (random orange or silver vinyl) that has a remix and a Bowie cover

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&path=25419&product_id=58892

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&path=25419&product_id=58884

5 hours ago, craigeduk said:

Following their awesome debut LP Pink Noise there is a repress of the long sold out Echo Ladies self titled 10" coming 16th November along with a new 7" (random orange or silver vinyl) that has a remix and a Bowie cover

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&path=25419&product_id=58892

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&path=25419&product_id=58884

Thanks so much for this! I saw the 7" cover and was meh since I don't listen to 7s very much and they weren't new tunes, but did not know about the repress! Now i can take it off my discogs watch list. Seems like it had been listed and selling for reasonable amounts, then the listings went crazy.

On 10/17/2018 at 7:53 PM, jonrawks said:

I thought the new MM was decent, but it didn't wow me nearly as much the EP did.  I'm going to give it some more listens soon and hope it grows a little more.

It's totally different for sure. I'll check in with you if the label ever lifts the limit so I can do a group buy. 

8 hours ago, drds89 said:

Thanks so much for this! I saw the 7" cover and was meh since I don't listen to 7s very much and they weren't new tunes, but did not know about the repress! Now i can take it off my discogs watch list. Seems like it had been listed and selling for reasonable amounts, then the listings went crazy.

No problem. I'd also had the EP on my discogs list and was't too thrilled with the prospect of having to pay the prices there for it. The repress is apparently on gold vinyl.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2015 at 3:14 AM, rowla said:

Great thread! Stumbled across the board when googling a particular record, then noticed this thread and subsequently spent a whole day reading and listening to any stuff I hadn't heard of. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Here is a new(ish) Dream Pop band from the UK you lot might like - Night Flowers

They released their new single 'Sleep' a few weeks ago. It has a great b-side too.

The 7" isn't on white vinyl though as stated on bandcamp. It was meant to be but after my copy arrived on black vinyl I got an email from the label stating "due to an unforeseen mix up at the pressers they were delivered in black and sadly there was no time to repress in order to get them out to you for the release date".

They have a EP on limited 10" clear vinyl too but it's sold out.

'Sleep' Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP1gRJMW8-4

havent seen if night flowers has been mentioned since this post but Im in love with their debut LP (Wild Notion) black vinyl available from UK but Ill wait until some copies show up stateside perhaps. My favorite dream pop/shoegaze of the year, not reinventing the wheel but still v good

RIYL Pains of being Pure, Beach House, Alvvays

https://nightflowers.bandcamp.com/album/wild-notion

• 4 weeks later...

my band Shun just put out this new single, it's a cover of Drake's Hold On We're Going Home. The video was filmed on our recent Spain tour. 

it will be available for free download on our bandcamp page very soon.

So long you can check out our debut EP that was released earlier this year, there is a handful tapes left from the original run of 100 pieces: https://shunthisband.bandcamp.com/album/nothing-quite-as-heavy

Thanks.

Edited by poweredbytrust

• 1 month later...

So, I'm pretty sure you guys already know about this band because I *Think* i remember seeing the name here, but I just saw TRENCH open up for Thrice on Thursday last week, and holy fuck!!!  What a sound!

They're from Syracuse, so they're kind of local for me.  But I loved them because it was just big, reverbed out walls of sound with the emo vocal thing going on.... so I think they fit here.  They kind of sound like Isis without screaming....  just hypnotic shifting between 2 chords, and then the loud/quiet dynamic. 

Fucking great stuff though, and they absolutely crushed live.  I was very impressed.  Check out "Liminal" off of Ritual Love for a good preview of their sound.

https://trench-ny.bandcamp.com/

On 2/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, whoa said:

Been listening to this Be Forest - Knocturne today, think this sits in with this thread and needs some love. https://wwnbb.bandcamp.com/album/wwnbb-099-knocturne

Thanks for posting this! I love their album Cold, and bought a CD, because the vinyl prices out of Italy are prohibitive. I  didn't even put it on my discogs watch list for that reason. Edit - Didn't get a notification from bandcamp  (because I unsubscribed from WWNB label, emails every day)... so again, thanks. Off to listen.

Edit 2: so they reissued Cold in 2017 as a deluxe LP  with a 7" flexi and have US distribution for $24 -- and the new album /100 already sold out, but /200 and Black are still available in US$ as well.

Edited by drds89

19 hours ago, drds89 said:

Thanks for posting this! I love their album Cold, and bought a CD, because the vinyl prices out of Italy are prohibitive. I  didn't even put it on my discogs watch list for that reason. Edit - Didn't get a notification from bandcamp  (because I unsubscribed from WWNB label, emails every day)... so again, thanks. Off to listen.

Edit 2: so they reissued Cold in 2017 as a deluxe LP  with a 7" flexi and have US distribution for $24 -- and the new album /100 already sold out, but /200 and Black are still available in US$ as well.

That shipping kills it for me. Nearly. I'm trying to justify it myself as I really like this; the jangles-to-doomy-wall-of-sound ratio is just right this time of year!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it merits a mention in this thread, but I'm really liking Piroshka's Brickbat. Thought it might possibly have got it's own thread but couldn't find anything. Been out for a couple weeks now. Features Miki Berenyi, former Moose guitarist KJ "Moose" McKillop, Modern English bassist Mick Conroy and former Elastica drummer Justin Welch. 

There was a screen printed black vinyl copy available from the Bella Union website which has long sold out, and a US pink vinyl edition/500 which is also pretty scarce now.

Edited by Roandy55
Added vid.