Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

In case it hasn’t been posted before. Just stumbled upon Temple of Angels. They’re out of Austin, TX and have this nice blend of fuzzy & crunchy guitars with the ethereal & dreamy sound of classic 4AD bands. They have a couple of tapes out...one of which you can hear below. 

They’ll have a new 7” from Funeral Party out soon. Video & track premiere on 6/14. 

Had not heard of them, thanks for posting @jhulud They seem to fit best here, though not tagged as such - lots of reverb on the guitars, great vocals. 

Reminded me to post Be Forest's Audiotree Live session if anyone missed it. Ethereal dreamgaze from Italy, I like their latest even better than Cold. I can't believe how good the minimalism sounds and the guitarist is playing a Squire! Don't know if that's a touring decision to mitigate any potential losses, but it sounds just like the studio.  He keeps the same effects pretty much throughout, so you know rather quickly if it's your cuppa.

Be Forest - Audiotree Live Session

14 hours ago, mrewest said:

This album has consumed my life recently.  Dark, gloomy, heavy, monotone, beastly riffs.

http://grivo.bandcamp.com/album/elude

1 track in so far and the vocals are so insanely Nothing that it feels like a followup to Tired of Tomorrow with acceptable production.  Not a knock, just an observation.  Eager to hear where the whole thing goes.

Taffy - Deep Dark Creep Love 12" LP is up now at Club AC30

http://store.clubac30.com/products/644330-taffy-deep-dark-creep-love

There is also a 7" for new song "Inner Nerd" with the b-side being a David Bowie cover

http://store.clubac30.com/products/644394-taffy-inner-nerd

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

This is fairly nice, especially as more of a background jam.  Totally getting True Widow x Nothing vibes.  @drds89 please confirm.

I can agree on the Nothing vibes but way more slowed down overall & a lot moodier imo.  

I also get Deftones vibes.  Especially in that opener.

Edited by mrewest

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

This is fairly nice, especially as more of a background jam.  Totally getting True Widow x Nothing vibes.  @drds89 please confirm.

I heard this at the same time as Holy Fawn back in the fall last year, and thought @deafening had recommended it, but it was @scott_c on this thread page 77. I actually PO'ed a CS if you can believe that, ordered early September and arrived late November. I didn't hype them, being more obsessed with HF at the time, and smaller darkgaze bands I like don't seem to get a lot of traction with my friends.

Until you mentioned Nothing and  TW, I had sectioned them in  with Keep, Threading, KW/Miserable and few noise bands -- so I had to give it another run through after paperwork.

I would definitely agree with vocals being consistent with Nicky from earlier Nothing -- i.e. male, soft, throaty and buried. Doesn't change through this album.

They are downtempo - but I don't have to adjust my whole brain to listen to Grivo vs. TW s l o w g a z e - whom I enjoy immensely.  Track 2 has a riff that sounds like TW, and a slightly longer section of track 4 that also definitely hearkens TW chord progressions. That's all I heard of TW. (for TW, check out 1990's band Should: Feed Like Fishes album. Should be on vinyl)

The guitars, except for the intro  on Track 1, drumming, and overall song writing / composition seems significantly different that if Nothing and TW aren't your cuppa, but you like darkgaze, I'd give these guys a listen. 

There are longer tracks and agreed not a lot of variety as mentioned above, but it still grabs me enough to distract from being background music.

Most likely will get this on vinyl, pleasantly surprised it actually got the vinyl treatment.

38 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

song is so awesome. this band came outta nowhere for me last year with the pain ep. one of my favorite releases of last year. got to see em here in reno and they were so damn good. really stoked for the new full length, as the direction of this new song is hitting the exact sweet spot for me when it comes to the 'gaze!

3 hours ago, N8TRU said:

I saw them on tour with Hundredth in 2017 and they couldn't have been more on point live. Phenomenal band.

Same experience here.  Been one of my favorite bands since I saw them.  

I dig the new song.  Definitely sounds like a bit of a new direction.  Will be curious to hear how the whole album plays out.

31 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

No news on album details of even a proper 2019 release, but it feels inevitable to me.  Would love to see a PO thread pop up soon but I’ll post one if I spy the details first.  Sounds like [PIAS] will be their label of choice again.

Just asked the leadsinger, hopefully some answers