Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

On 10/25/2019 at 6:27 PM, mrewest said:

Just came across this album that came out today & it rips.  Louder, heavier, slightly noisy shoegaze.  Parts of it reminds me of the heavier first half of the Dead Swords album.  But the whole album keeps that energy.

http://wearetimelost.bandcamp.com/album/dont-remember-me-for-this

For anyone that may be interested and doesn't do the streaming thing, I have an extra download that came with the record:

https://wearetimelost.bandcamp.com/yum

c5lh-kdlk

Thanks for the recommendation on this. I love the Dead Swords album, so that definitely got my attention.

Just now, mrewest said:

Violet & Regret are 10/10s.  Still trying to get into the others a bit more.

Those and Swirl instantly won me over.  I feel like the "slower" tracks on the album really pack a punch even if they're not immediate – I can think of a handful that escalate into nice bursts of guitar static and excellent walls of sound, or just have a really strong hook to latch onto.  It definitely keeps getting better and better with each revisit.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Those and Swirl instantly won me over.  I feel like the "slower" tracks on the album really pack a punch even if they're not immediate – I can think of a handful that escalate into nice bursts of guitar static and excellent walls of sound, or just have a really strong hook to latch onto.  It definitely keeps getting better and better with each revisit.

Yeah I’m absolutely going to spend more time with it.  I’m sure other songs will start to catch on.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Have you listened to Mumrunner?  ‘Regret’ reminds me of them a bit.

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I have not, but will definitely throw them into a queue.  I'd gladly check out an album weighed more in that direction.

I’d say this song most reminds me of ‘Regret’.  Start here then check out the rest of this EP if you dig.  EP 2 isn’t as heavy, but still real good.

2 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Had this LP in my Bandcamp cart when I went to swoop the Tennis System album via graveface’s BF sale. Why not? I wanna be gay too.

That Tennis System is probably my most-played shoegaze album of the year but this Lacing one is killer for different reasons.  A+ purchases on your behalf, you did good.

Anyone interested in the Tokyo Shoegazer "Crystallize" release from Graveface might want to check out their bandcamp today. Here is Ryan's description below.  Only 9 copies left as I write this.

The vinyl manufacturer sent us some purple'ish LPs for this record (I didn't order purple) and you can scoop one up today. One thing to note:
- a bunch of you lucky humans will receive handmade packaging with custom art by Chloe Manon (the person who did the art for this record) INSTEAD of the standard packaging. She has informed me she's going to do some drawings, some paintings and some with stencils. Some of you will get standard packaging with the OBI and some of you a custom piece of art. Feeling lucky?

https://graveface.bandcamp.com/album/crystallize?mc_cid=aab9dbe41b&mc_eid=b234643f78

18 minutes ago, BrainGilliams said:

Anyone interested in the Tokyo Shoegazer "Crystallize" release from Graveface might want to check out their bandcamp today. Here is Ryan's description below.  Only 9 copies left as I write this.

The vinyl manufacturer sent us some purple'ish LPs for this record (I didn't order purple) and you can scoop one up today. One thing to note:
- a bunch of you lucky humans will receive handmade packaging with custom art by Chloe Manon (the person who did the art for this record) INSTEAD of the standard packaging. She has informed me she's going to do some drawings, some paintings and some with stencils. Some of you will get standard packaging with the OBI and some of you a custom piece of art. Feeling lucky?

https://graveface.bandcamp.com/album/crystallize?mc_cid=aab9dbe41b&mc_eid=b234643f78

Thanks man.  Picked one up

14 hours ago, BrainGilliams said:

Confirmed with RG that he is going to press Turnaround in the future (first time on vinyl -- CD's go for ridiculous $)

11 minutes ago, lostcrimes said:

Maybe you kind folks can help me. I've been getting into this genre a lot because of Teenage Wrist and Nothing. What are some bands similar to them?

Whirr, Cloakroom, Slow Crush, New Moon, Swervedriver, Holy Fawn are all great and more on the heavier side of the shoegaze genre 

Blushing - Blushing

Repress on Pink Galaxy Swirl Vinyl:

https://wallflowerrecords.org/products/blushing-blushing-blue-pink-galaxy-lp-pre-order

Limited Edition of 300

Label let us know they were running low on this second pressing, sharing the news here. Had an amazing tour and met some great shoegaze / dreampop fans out there. Hope to make it to the UK soon!

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Derek™ said:

That Greet Death album is good fun, but I don’t recall a total shoegaze vibe from the whole thing.  It’s got a great variety though – I seem to think there were some twangier moments on it that surprised me.  I need to revisit it.

Its definitely not strictly shoegaze. all these cross-genre gazers are getting hard to classify. greet death album has a lot of classic "alt rock" elements that remind me of stuff from the late 90s early 00s. they throw a few silly acoustic folk songs on every album that break up the consistency, and it takes a few listens but they make 9 minute tracks feel like 4 minutes.

On 11/22/2019 at 9:36 AM, Mars said:

okay, ok, I hear you already :)
maybe I'll order a pair before the Nothing show next week. $13 is do-able.

So I ordered the earplugs, and they didn't do a damn thing.

I suspect it was because I forgot  them on the table at home.

Show was amazing though, and I survived.