Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

20 hours ago, FieldMice said:

Blushing - Blushing

Repress on Pink Galaxy Swirl Vinyl:

https://wallflowerrecords.org/products/blushing-blushing-blue-pink-galaxy-lp-pre-order

Limited Edition of 300

Label let us know they were running low on this second pressing, sharing the news here. Had an amazing tour and met some great shoegaze / dreampop fans out there. Hope to make it to the UK soon!

spacer.png

Are you with the band then?

I managed to grab one of the last band copies of the blue galaxy (and one of only 5 copies of the album they could bring over the border).

1 hour ago, Mars said:

Are you with the band then?

I managed to grab one of the last band copies of the blue galaxy (and one of only 5 copies of the album they could bring over the border).

Yep I'm in Blushing, rhythm guitar. Our label gave us an update that the pink vinyl was close to selling out and so I figured I would get the word out here if anyone might be interested. So glad you got one of the 5 that we took over the border, that Toronto show was a blast! Stoked you got a blue galaxy swirl, there are no more of those left, only pink.

18 hours ago, FieldMice said:

Yep I'm in Blushing, rhythm guitar. Our label gave us an update that the pink vinyl was close to selling out and so I figured I would get the word out here if anyone might be interested. So glad you got one of the 5 that we took over the border, that Toronto show was a blast! Stoked you got a blue galaxy swirl, there are no more of those left, only pink.

You guys were on fire - great set! Glad to hear that the lp is doing so well.

18 hours ago, FieldMice said:

I live in OK and missed your show unfortunately but have to say that I love the album!

On 12/2/2019 at 8:12 PM, Chrundle The Great said:

the new Tennis System album is good, both Holy Fawn albums are great, and it seems everyone is still sleeping on Greet Death. its not a perfect album as I think there are 2-3 weaker tracks, but this ones gonna be big once enough people hear it. just 2 of many highlights

Holy shit this album is incredible.  Definitely agree it teeters between many different genres but for sure touches on some gaze.  But wow first time through this album just now & I was blown away.  The harsh contrast in vocals works incredibly well here.

yeah, its great. in a year of weaker releases this has shot to the top few on my list. something about the super-slow pace of some tracks and the bass tone. along with the gaze, there's definitely a grunge element to some of the tracks. as i've continued to listen to it 2-3 times a day, the closing track "new hell" has become one of my favorites, and specifically the 2nd half of that track. Having been back over their first album "dixieland" several times, it hasn't grabbed me quite as much, but "dragged to hell" and especially "cumbersome" are my favorites off that one so far.

I saw DW posting about that Greet Death album a lot leading up the release but the combination of the band name, album name and cover art had me extremely disinterested.

Then the album dropped and they posted all the week 1 chart numbers and I figured there was no way this band was charting that well if they were some grindcore/death metal band. Checked out the album and was like daaang I fucked up.

Anyways, I continued to drag my feet on picking it up which paid off due to the sweet $50 2019 release bundle DW did for Black Friday.  

4 hours ago, dantheriver said:

I saw DW posting about that Greet Death album a lot leading up the release but the combination of the band name, album name and cover art had me extremely disinterested.

Then the album dropped and they posted all the week 1 chart numbers and I figured there was no way this band was charting that well if they were some grindcore/death metal band. Checked out the album and was like daaang I fucked up.

Anyways, I continued to drag my feet on picking it up which paid off due to the sweet $50 2019 release bundle DW did for Black Friday.  

I can totally relate to [most of] this – didn't really get turned off by the album art though – so between you and mrewest, it's nice to be in good company with a late arrival to the party.  On first listen I suspected that it'd be DW's response to Cloakroom, which is not a bad thing at all.  The flashy guitar work and contrast in vocal styles really helps to distinguish them as something more, though.

Also have to tip my hat to Deathwish for signing some acts outside of their normal wheelhouse, this year.  Between GD and HarborLights, they've really given a platform some bands that are blending in post-rock or otherwise more "scenic" soundscapes over the hardcore / metal staples that the label gets pigeonholed with.

Just now, mrewest said:

I think if it was one or the other the entire album I would have gotten a bit bored.  But it adds a nice spice to the pot imo.

Absolutely this.  I was iffy on the higher vocals until about the 4th or 5th song when it all just started to click in a bigger picture.  I wouldn’t classify them as whiny; maybe just a little nasally or something?  Not sure.  It’s different, no question, but I think that lends itself to the fresh factor.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

Absolutely this.  I was iffy on the higher vocals until about the 4th or 5th song when it all just started to click in a bigger picture.  I wouldn’t classify them as whiny; maybe just a little nasally or something?  Not sure.  It’s different, no question, but I think that lends itself to the fresh factor.

For sure.  When “Let it Die” started up right after “Do You Feel Nothing?” it was jarring but I was like “Damn that worked real well in the flow of this album”.  Then the big comedown of “Entertainment” after “You’re Gonna Hate...” sealed the deal.

Also, “Strain” is probably my favorite.  I wanna stew in these dark moody beefy riffs for days.

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

You’re Gonna Hate is a viable contender for song of the year.  Feels weird to say that after only listening to the album for a few weeks but I don’t think I’m wrong.

Totally agree 100%! You're gonna hate is song of the year for sure. Thats when the album clicked for me. That song alone warrants album of the year. The rest of the album is so good too