Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

41 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

Im still not hearing the nasally vocals. Im hearing  album of the year perhaps?

Why can't it be both?

Okay, maybe not AOTY.  But a really strong note to end the year on.  And I think that Pitchfork review even cites Sam's delivery as nasally, so I'd like to imagine it's a real thing and not just a hot take.

Whenever I hear a voice that isn't normal or what I would be into I just think about how well that person already knows that yet still gets their message out with no fear. Imagine if Isaac Brock let his lisp keep his music private, or anyone similar that sings despite a speech impediment. It's a super strange thing to instantly write a band off without giving it a fair shake if you liked the music but weren't super into one of the singers. This is fucking shoegaze, vocals are less than secondary anyways.

Do any of you know a single shoegaze lyric off the top of your head that you didn't read from a lyric sheet? Only kind of a serious question lol

19 minutes ago, rooks said:

I don't usually partake in the 'gaze but the Greet Death really grabbed me, and now I'm enjoying Holy Fawn's Death Spells. 

Other recommendations appreciated. I like it dark, don't mind it loud, don't mind weird vocals.

Cloakroom. Either their most recent LP Time Well or their debut EP Infinity. 

glad we got the 50/50 approval from oldkentuckyshark, important update. also i tried cloakroom hard, but it aint doin the greet death / holy fawn thang for me, thats for sure. lot of people making the Greet Death / Cloakroom comparison. just don't see whats so special about cloakroom. It has been mentioned a few times before, but Tennis System's new album "Lovesick" is very good - I think the rest of their stuff is rubbish, but thats just me. For those into this kind of stuff as I am, Drab Majesty's "Modern Mirror" is still one of my favorite albums of the year, and definitely has ties to this genre/style. Some might not like it, but I feel like me n rooks are onelove on most topics.

I’m not in love with Tennis System’s earlier material but if you’re sleeping on the P A I N EP you’re really fucking up.  Lovesick’s little brother.

Also have no idea how you can’t hear the similarities between Cloakroom and Logan’s vocals in Greet Death.  It’s such an obvious comparison that there’ve been countless comments and jokes about their same low, lethargic delivery.  “So this band is basically Cloakroom but not Cloakroom?  Got it.”  Etc.

What I will add to that, though, is that Greet Death very sneakily weave in some really infectious melodies and vocal hooks on New Hell - still haven’t spent enough time with Dixieland just yet - which makes them quite a bit more direct, in my opinion.  You can actually sing along to Greet Death much, much more than any Cloakroom record.  From my experience, anyway.  Both bands do a great job at drowning you with guitars but Cloakroom are more about atmosphere whereas I’d say New Hell’s songwriting is probably stronger.

35 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

glad we got the 50/50 approval from oldkentuckyshark, important update. also i tried cloakroom hard, but it aint doin the greet death / holy fawn thang for me, thats for sure. lot of people making the Greet Death / Cloakroom comparison. just don't see whats so special about cloakroom. It has been mentioned a few times before, but Tennis System's new album "Lovesick" is very good - I think the rest of their stuff is rubbish, but thats just me. For those into this kind of stuff as I am, Drab Majesty's "Modern Mirror" is still one of my favorite albums of the year, and definitely has ties to this genre/style. Some might not like it, but I feel like me n rooks are onelove on most topics.

Have you ever listened to Sedimentary when trying Cloakroom? Goat track.

20 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

if you’re sleeping on the P A I N EP you’re really fucking up.

Also have no idea how you can’t hear the similarities between Cloakroom and Logan’s vocals in Greet Death.

Need to check out the Pain EP for sure... don't think I have. But yeah - earlier Tennis System LP(s) were(was) meh. Lovesick is a start, has a few real highlights, but I think they can really peak on their next album. One would hope.

With Greet Death/Cloakroom, I hear the similarities absolutely, there is no band Ive heard that sounds more similar in style to Greet Death than Cloakroom. The problem is, I haven't liked more than a couple Cloakroom tracks, and this was after listening to each full-length 3 times. Will check out Sedimentary and any other reccos more closely again though.

Edit: Just to jump back in on the Greet Death - Dixieland talk, Cumbersome is the highlight to me, but it is much more like New Hell so that is probably why.  But New Hell took several listens to sink in so I'll probably queue up Dixieland here in a sec.

Edited by Chrundle The Great

I won’t stand here & tolerate this pre-PAIN TS slander.  Technicolour Blind is far and away their best imo & honestly one of my favorite shoegaze albums ever.  Gimme the dreamier TS over the more raw sound from Lovesick any day.  Don’t get me wrong I love Pain & like Lovesick but TB is near perfect to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, jrodan said:

if you don't own this album already, you need to do yourself a favor. this should start popping up more places, but this isn't a bad deal and norman has always done me right.

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/79752-chapterhouse-whirlpool

Haven’t listened to Chapterhouse but gonna’ check this out later this afternoon, thanks for the heads up.