Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

On 6/11/2020 at 11:38 AM, hookedonsonics said:

I know a bunch of you here like We Need Secrets and Kestrels

Kestrels is putting out a new record July 10 on Darla, pre order info up here - https://darla.com/products/kestrels-dream-or-don-t-dream

/100 rainbow splatter

/400 transparent blue

Canadians can order direct from here - https://noyesrecords.limitedrun.com/products/661401

New single is out w/ J. freaking Mascis on it - 

https://open.spotify.com/album/4uqjLsYZpUNCaugmD5cCI6?si=3qhxOjiVQ_y6b0_ZKNOSkg

Video here w/  lots o dogs - 

fyi Noyes/Canada is now sold out of the /100 splatter and apparently Darla is almost sold out too! Act fast, still some /400 left.

Can't wait for you all to hear this, the record is AMAZING, and the second video is even better than this one hahaha

13 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

https://dayaches.bandcamp.com/

No vinyl but this band is too good to not share. I'm really digging their EPs and they just dropped a new one. If I could have a crossover of Slow Crush and Rare-era Hundredth this would be it and those are 2 of my favorite bands.

Happy to see Hundredth brought up here. I randomly discovered Rare last year and I'm still going back to it. They've been talking about a new record and I hope they don't stray too far from that sound.

31 minutes ago, lostcrimes said:

Happy to see Hundredth brought up here. I randomly discovered Rare last year and I'm still going back to it. They've been talking about a new record and I hope they don't stray too far from that sound.

It's gonna be real silky. I would say expect it to be closer to the last 4 singles (excluding quarantine covers) but I'm pretty sure they'll some of this record with Sam Pura and use real drums if that makes a difference to you.

I had the pleasure of seeing them a year ago before they played Governors Ball and their newest songs blew me away live. I already dug the recordings but live it was a totally new experience because some of the music went from being electronic to played on guitar. They're really talented dudes. So even if you like those 4 singles a little you should dig the next release.

Either way, Rare is god tier. I have the album banner above my bed along with a setlist from their last run and a show-time flyer they posted at Warped the week Rare dropped. Easily a top 5 favorite band for me. I'm glad you like it.

6 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

I really like them but still don't own any of their physical media. Ordering from AC30 on everything would easily blown like $250?

Their first presses are very sought after and expensive everywhere but you can easily find second hand represses on everything at discogs if you don't want insane shipping. (to the US that is)

On 5/1/2020 at 9:08 PM, mrewest said:

If Graveface indeed was the only option for Tennis System, they are sold out.  I’m assuming that’s definitely the only place for it considering Tennis System posted a screen grab showing “295 copies sold” before announcing “5 left”.  

I ordered at 1158am EST.  I want that #’d 1/300 haha.

just got shipping notice on this. best of luck on that 1/300! :) 

The Tennis System Fuck Everything Else looks great on the blue/white starburst. How ya'll handling the bag situation? I cut it on the opening, the cover inside was also shrinked. Got 65/200 on The Tennis System and 6/200 on The Vandal Moon. I also got some leftovers: Appleseed Cast Mare Vitalis, Tokyo Shoegazer Crystallize, Tennis System Lovesick, Dott Swell and hooking up a dear friend with the Peregrine hand pour since they are helping me get the VMP Fiona Apple. So anyone on the fence about the record club there is some really rare stuff left including a ton more not listed (unless I grabbed the last of any of those, and you gotta take the plunge before you can see the list, but I'm pretty damn happy with my first shipment and 3 slots left still and I've got my money's worth and then some)

I’ve seen a lot of talk about Pinkshinyultrablast and had heard of them over the years so I finally checked them out a while back. I listened to a bit of Miserable Miracles and wasn’t super into it. But, I saw Grandfeathered used at my local shop today and snagged it. Wasn’t expecting much, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Great record. I’ll probably dig into their other stuff now. Maybe give Miracles another shot. 

Anyway, I’ve checked out suggestions on this thread for a long time and most of what I like has already been beat to death here, but a band I haven’t seen mentioned is Blankenberge. They’re also Russian. It’s probably been suggested, but they’re great.

6 hours ago, derek123 said:

I’ve seen a lot of talk about Pinkshinyultrablast and had heard of them over the years so I finally checked them out a while back. I listened to a bit of Miserable Miracles and wasn’t super into it. But, I saw Grandfeathered used at my local shop today and snagged it. Wasn’t expecting much, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Great record. I’ll probably dig into their other stuff now. Maybe give Miracles another shot. 

Anyway, I’ve checked out suggestions on this thread for a long time and most of what I like has already been beat to death here, but a band I haven’t seen mentioned is Blankenberge. They’re also Russian. It’s probably been suggested, but they’re great.

PSUB: with EEM and Grandfeathered, you can tell it's the same band. They dropped to 3 members and moved to LA, then wrote Miserable Miracles, which is more of pop album than ethereal, dream- and noisegaze album. Big shift. Lyuba's voice is what carries MM imo, and with repeated listens, I find it more pleasing just thinking of them as a different band. Like what happened to Cheatahs with their last album. Hated it at first, because it was such a drastic change, but it's really not bad without the prior expectations.

Re: Blankenberge, to me they sound like a continuation of where PSUB left off / what I was expecting from Album #3. Still in the ethereal/dreamgaze realm, I listen to them frequently.  Seems like we talk about them more on the postrock thread, I guess, because their 1st album was pressed by Elusive Sounds. But you're right, they should have more discussion here if folks haven't checked them already.  

18 hours ago, drds89 said:

PSUB: with EEM and Grandfeathered, you can tell it's the same band. They dropped to 3 members and moved to LA, then wrote Miserable Miracles, which is more of pop album than ethereal, dream- and noisegaze album. Big shift.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I definitely want to check out Everything Else Matters then. I just picked up Blankenberge-More and have jammed it quite a bit. Killer record. Surprised I’ve just now come across them. 

And holy shit I’m glad I snagged that Kestrels record. That thing is wild. New jam with Mascis is awesome too. 

Edit: Just checking my order confirmation for the new Kestrels and it says Transparent blue w/ rainbow splatter. Going back to the Darla store, the option now says clear w/rainbow splatter. I don’t really care it looks great, just wondering if there was a mix up.

Edited by derek123

23 minutes ago, derek123 said:

Ah ok, that makes sense. I definitely want to check out Everything Else Matters then. I just picked up Blankenberge-More and have jammed it quite a bit. Killer record. Surprised I’ve just now come across them. 

And holy shit I’m glad I snagged that Kestrels record. That thing is wild. New jam with Mascis is awesome too. 

I've been looking for a Kestrels tape forever, early release. Love all their stuff.

You probably know Kestrels is Chad Peck + other band members, and he has another project you should definitely check out: We Need Secrets -- Melancholy And The Archive  LP.  99% sure he is also the founder of Noyes ('noise') record label. 

He teaches 8th grade in Canada, and for /100 Splatter RP of Melancholy,  he  had his students do an album art project, so along with regular jacket, you got a one-off, unique (heavily painted!) jacket. Not sure if they all came with one, or the first so many orders. 

Edit: Good luck finding a copy of Everything Else Matters! I originally had the Amber Glitter, but after 2 or 3 spins, it got noisy as heck. So I traded for a RP I could actually listen to - full disclosure but the demand was so high at the time.  When the first vinyl dropped, it sold out quickly, and  it was like they had represses all ready to go, so as soon as AC30 sold, out, there was a 2nd one up. It likewise evaporated, and then another was immediately up.

Edited by drds89

3 hours ago, drds89 said:

I've been looking for a Kestrels tape forever, early release. Love all their stuff.

You probably know Kestrels is Chad Peck + other band members, and he has another project you should definitely check out: We Need Secrets -- Melancholy And The Archive  LP.  99% sure he is also the founder of Noyes ('noise') record label. 

He teaches 8th grade in Canada, and for /100 Splatter RP of Melancholy,  he  had his students do an album art project, so along with regular jacket, you got a one-off, unique (heavily painted!) jacket. Not sure if they all came with one, or the first so many orders. 

Edit: Good luck finding a copy of Everything Else Matters! I originally had the Amber Glitter, but after 2 or 3 spins, it got noisy as heck. So I traded for a RP I could actually listen to - full disclosure but the demand was so high at the time.  When the first vinyl dropped, it sold out quickly, and  it was like they had represses all ready to go, so as soon as AC30 sold, out, there was a 2nd one up. It likewise evaporated, and then another was immediately up.

It relieves me to hear you say the pinkshiny glitter copy is almost unlistenable because there have been drunken nights where I’ve come way too close to dropping 50 gbp on it.  

24 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

It relieves me to hear you say the pinkshiny glitter copy is almost unlistenable because there have been drunken nights where I’ve come way too close to dropping 50 gbp on it.  

I will never not see gbp and pronounce it "good boy points". I hate the internet. 

19 hours ago, drds89 said:

Good luck finding a copy of Everything Else Matters! I originally had the Amber Glitter, but after 2 or 3 spins, it got noisy as heck. So I traded for a RP I could actually listen to - full disclosure but the demand was so high at the time.  When the first vinyl dropped, it sold out quickly, and  it was like they had represses all ready to go, so as soon as AC30 sold, out, there was a 2nd one up. It likewise evaporated, and then another was immediately up.

Well shit. I listened to EEM and it’s great. I’d love to have a copy, but you’re right. Everything I have found is $$. AC30 has the “Starry” variant for 50gbp. Pretty pricey. Anyone know how that one sounds? Any word on a repress?