Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

loving the new Mondaze album and the vinyl variants are finally up on their Instagram! 

I have a few extra copies of the "cornetto" variant coming, $32ppd to anybody who wants one!  It is the most limited (/150) and coming from Through Love records in Germany. 

Check it out here!  (cornetto is the 4th picture)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY_qpJgtUO1/

EDIT:  all gone :)

Edited by Gumbo72203

Already posted in a Teenage Wrist thread but since he's not in that anymore I'm posting here for anyone that may miss it:

https://feverltd.bigcartel.com/product/heavenward-staircase-music-vinyl

Heavenward's 3 song EP on a 12" limited to 100 copies on random color vinyl. $19.99. He probably could have stuck his other 3 songs on it at that price.

4 hours ago, VickyPepper said:

I'm only really familiar with My Bloody Valentine but I love their music. Would love to find more like it.

Here's some recommendations. Some people might have others they'd recommend over these. These were most of the ones that shaped my musical palate after I heard Loveless.

-Slowdive - Souvlaki (if you like that, check out Just For A Day)

-Adorable - Sunshine Smile EP

-The Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy (not technically a shoegaze album but if you like Loveless you'll probably dig this album)

-Ride - Nowhere

-The Drop Nineteens - Delaware

-Amusement Parks On Fire - s/t

-Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde (definitely a little more on the metal side but it's a great album with some cool shoegaze elements)

Some newer stuff I'd recommend:

-Slow Crush - Aurora

-Blankengerge - Everything

-Yuragi - For You, Adroit It But Soft (Stil Dreaming, Still Deafening is phenomenal too) 

-Holy Fawn - Death Spells

-Deafcult - s/t (the song Akira is a great one to check out)

*I should also note, don't even bother checking out the band Whirr, the main songwriter from that band is an edgelord who has said some pretty fucked up/transphobic stuff.

Edited by prowl20

2 hours ago, prowl20 said:

*I should also note, don't even bother checking out the band Whirr, the main songwriter from that band is an edgelord who has said some pretty fucked up/transphobic stuff.

Alternatively, though that dude from Whirr is shitty, their music is pretty darn good and worth checking out.

Nothing, Blushing, Lacing, Newmoon are also worth a look.

People sure do write dumb, regrettable shit.  I remember a few years back when folks tried to cancel Deafheaven because someone dug up a tweet from 2011 where Kerry posted that George Washington was a “terrible faggot”, among other uses of the word.  All from 2011-2012 or so.  I’m sure he regrets it in hindsight but kids are dumb and treat the internet like it’s completely ephemeral, and not a permanent shrine to all of their publicly posted sins.

I think, for Whirr, the issue was bigger than dropping a slur among friends.  They didn’t know when to pump the brakes on their well-established online trolling persona, and it went off the rails into “bully” territory with a LGBTQ-allied band.  I forgot the details of the beef or who started what, but that G.L.O.S.S. band took the brunt of their jokes.  I think Nick tried to say it was their merch guy taking the piss, and everyone was trying to tell him to stop…?  It was a bit of a “🙄” tier explanation of the situation.  But I remember thinking that he was aware that he royally fucked up, and he seemed pretty levelheaded about stepping out of the spotlight and trying to become a better person.

You can agree to disagree since everyone’s tolerance on this kind of stuff fluctuates – separating the art from artists or whatever – but for me, I’m probably not gonna’ dismiss an entire band’s work because 1 member was toxic on Twitter a decade ago.  If you threw out their records and still boycott them, more power to you.  You’ve got more will and a stronger stance than I care to hold.  I still listen to Whirr and do not assume – but certainly at least hope – that Nick is a better person today than when he said what he did years back.

37 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

People sure do write dumb, regrettable shit.  I remember a few years back when folks tried to cancel Deafheaven because someone dug up a tweet from 2011 where Kerry posted that George Washington was a “terrible faggot”, among other uses of the word.  All from 2011-2012 or so.  I’m sure he regrets it in hindsight but kids are dumb and treat the internet like it’s completely ephemeral, and not a permanent shrine to all of their publicly posted sins.

I think, for Whirr, the issue was bigger than dropping a slur among friends.  They didn’t know when to pump the brakes on their well-established online trolling persona, and it went off the rails into “bully” territory with a LGBTQ-allied band.  I forgot the details of the beef or who started what, but that G.L.O.S.S. band took the brunt of their jokes.  I think Nick tried to say it was their merch guy taking the piss, and everyone was trying to tell him to stop…?  It was a bit of a “🙄” tier explanation of the situation.  But I remember thinking that he was aware that he royally fucked up, and he seemed pretty levelheaded about stepping out of the spotlight and trying to become a better person.

You can agree to disagree since everyone’s tolerance on this kind of stuff fluctuates – separating the art from artists or whatever – but for me, I’m probably not gonna’ dismiss an entire band’s work because 1 member was toxic on Twitter a decade ago.  If you threw out their records and still boycott them, more power to you.  You’ve got more will and a stronger stance than I care to hold.  I still listen to Whirr and do not assume – but certainly at least hope – that Nick is a better person today than when he said what he did years back.

I agree to an extent, here's my thoughts. This is in no way me disagreeing, simply how I've perceived the situation.

From what I understood when it happened, G.L.O.S.S. (a pro-feminist, pro-LGBTQIA+ band) was starting to pick up a lot of momentum, and a fan had asked the Whirr twitter what they thought of GLOSS. Whirr, being Whirr (Nick Bassett, the main songwriter who ran the twitter) posted this:

spacer.png

I completely respect people being able to separate art from the artist. And I do think that people sometimes deserve a second chance, IF they make some sort of attempt to better themselves. And simply own up to why they fucked up. The thing with "call-out culture", at least how I perceive it, is  letting someone know, "hey you messed up. DO BETTER, and be accountable for what you did."

Intent =\= Impact, you know? 

What pissed me off about the situation was Nick simply just pushed the blame onto some fictitious person that ran the account. I think he blamed it on their merch person. There was zero accountability, no owning up to what he might have done wrong. I hope he's a better person now, but I'd have to see it to believe it. Getting dropped from every single one of your labels when your band is starting to gain speed is a pretty big bombshell and he's had plenty of time to think about it.

Edited by prowl20

I remember them posting some Buffalo Bill gifs too, right?  I always thought there was something that escalated to that point of bullying.  I guess that’s what happens when you’re constantly celebrated for being smarmy and sassy to all your naysayers, 100% of the time.  (Note that this isn’t me sympathizing or rationalizing the tweets.)

The deflection to the merch lackey was so weak.  I thought at one point Nick eventually did come out and admit that he completely fucked up, and that he was going to step away from basically everything for… a while?  The foreseeable future?  Don’t quote me on it, I don’t totally remember.  But I do agree, that was a massive death blow to his career’s momentum.

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I haven’t been completely sold on Blushing yet but this is an outstanding list of newgaze that I click with.  Hope you tried out that Mondaze record from last month, too.

This is interesting because I’m completely sold on Blushing and I haven’t been completely sold on Mondaze yet.  And it’s not from a lack of trying. 

Edited by OldKentuckyShark

2 hours ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

This is interesting because I’m completely sold on Blushing and I haven’t been completely sold on Mondaze yet.  And it’s not from a lack of trying. 

Damn.  Different strokes / folks, perhaps.  Though I will say that it sounds like you probably tried out Mondaze more than I've spent time with Blushing.  I need to remedy that sooner than later.

9 hours ago, Shlebs said:

He stepped away to join Nothing haha.

Yeah it's weird that Nothing didn't seem to have any kind of real negative stigma from that incident.  The tweets, unfortunately, seemed to smear the Whirr name more than anything else.  I picture the captain of a sinking ship casually whistling while taking off his garb and slipping into a different uniform to board a vessel in better shape.

Speaking of Nothing, their release cycle is 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020.  They don't seem to miss a beat.  Considering how good I [still] think The Great Dismal is, I hope we're in store for something spicy this year.