Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Damn.  Different strokes / folks, perhaps.  Though I will say that it sounds like you probably tried out Mondaze more than I've spent time with Blushing.  I need to remedy that sooner than later.

I'll probably come around eventually.  It's not that I dislike them.  I guess nothing is just really jumping out at me.  Could be a product of a lot of people hyping them up.  

14 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

I'll probably come around eventually.  It's not that I dislike them.  I guess nothing is just really jumping out at me.  Could be a product of a lot of people hyping them up.  

I each that verbatim with Blushing, hah.  I’ll go back and check out which album of theirs I tried – fairly certain it was the latest – but just out of curiosity, would you have a recommendation?

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I each that verbatim with Blushing, hah.  I’ll go back and check out which album of theirs I tried – fairly certain it was the latest – but just out of curiosity, would you have a recommendation?

They’ve only had one before the new one.   It was their 2019 Self titled.  Great album.  I love what I hear from their new one but haven’t heard it all obviously. 

On 1/28/2022 at 5:16 PM, OldKentuckyShark said:

Mondaze was the band that got me into the "newgaze" trend now, actually.  It seems to be 100% by-the-book, but i enjoy it. 

Here's another one that seems to be slipping by everyone (unless you all did it when it came out haha).  My girlfriend loves this band, and I agree - they're great.  New stuff is a radical departure in sound though, and not to my taste whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Mondaze was the band that got me into the "newgaze" trend now, actually.  It seems to be 100% by-the-book, but i enjoy it. 

Here's another one that seems to be slipping by everyone (unless you all did it when it came out haha).  My girlfriend loves this band, and I agree - they're great.  New stuff is a radical departure in sound though, and not to my taste whatsoever. 

Absolutely with you on Narrow Head.  Love their debut but could not get into their newest record.  

I haven’t had an album etch itself in my brain in a while quite like the new Grivo.  Wasn’t sure about it relative to Elude at first but I’ve literally listened to it at minimum once a day since release.  They craft such an incredible vibe with their music.  Impossible to get sick of.

17 hours ago, mrewest said:

I haven’t had an album etch itself in my brain in a while quite like the new Grivo.  Wasn’t sure about it relative to Elude at first but I’ve literally listened to it at minimum once a day since release.  They craft such an incredible vibe with their music.  Impossible to get sick of.

100 emoji. They are the real deal live as well.

It looks like on IG post, the brothers are still there (guitar/vocalist and drummer) but bassist has changed. And he was the real friendly one at the show to talk with. Same show with Twin Drugs and Slow Crush right before COVID. I know I have to keep rubbing that in haha. 50 people crammed in like sardines at this kitsch horror dive in RVA. Slow Crush are coming back in April and locals Shy, Low will be playing as well! hoping Twin Drugs can get on and play some of their new material (I have not heard any of it yet).

On 2/5/2022 at 2:26 PM, drds89 said:

100 emoji. They are the real deal live as well.

It looks like on IG post, the brothers are still there (guitar/vocalist and drummer) but bassist has changed. And he was the real friendly one at the show to talk with. Same show with Twin Drugs and Slow Crush right before COVID. I know I have to keep rubbing that in haha. 50 people crammed in like sardines at this kitsch horror dive in RVA. Slow Crush are coming back in April and locals Shy, Low will be playing as well! hoping Twin Drugs can get on and play some of their new material (I have not heard any of it yet).

So jealous of the ease to which you get to see TD haha.  Tell them to tour!  We get SOM with Slow Crush so I’m pretty jacked for that.  Wish we were getting Deserta tho.  They’re like the dreamy Grivo in the way they craft the vibes they do.  All their new songs are 🔥 so far.

40 minutes ago, mrewest said:

So jealous of the ease to which you get to see TD haha.  Tell them to tour!  We get SOM with Slow Crush so I’m pretty jacked for that.  Wish we were getting Deserta tho.  They’re like the dreamy Grivo in the way they craft the vibes they do.  All their new songs are 🔥 so far.

I wish SOM or Shy, Low were playing the show I'm going to. Oh well, I still get to see Slow Crush

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Tried that new Grivo out before the praise in this thread kicked in, and couldn’t wait for it to be over.  I’m really not seeing the appeal, which also seems to add up with my consistently, nearly inverted tastes to mrewest.  You can almost set a watch by it.

Do you like Elude at all? Not all gloomgaze clicks with me, but for whatever reason, those Muses never tire of that one on my TT.

19 minutes ago, drds89 said:

Do you like Elude at all? Not all gloomgaze clicks with me, but for whatever reason, those Muses never tire of that one on my TT.

It looks like I listened to Elude once back in 2018, when it came out.  The fact that I couldn't remember that does not exactly speak well, but that was also 3-4 years ago.  It's feasible that my tastes have changed and I'd maybe click more with it if I revisited it, now.  I should try it.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Tried that new Grivo out before the praise in this thread kicked in, and couldn’t wait for it to be over.  I’m really not seeing the appeal, which also seems to add up with my consistently, nearly inverted tastes to mrewest.  You can almost set a watch by it.

I had the exact same reaction the other day, yawned all the way through the album on the commute home. Saw the praise and decided to check it out and just ended up checking out lol

40 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

I had the exact same reaction the other day, yawned all the way through the album on the commute home. Saw the praise and decided to check it out and just ended up checking out lol

Chalking it up to different strokes for different folks.  Wouldn't by any means call it bad or offensive to the ears, just to set the record straight.  I also think it'd be really boring if we were all circle-jerking the same bands in this thread, but yeah.  Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy and missing something obvious.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:19 PM, Derek™ said:

It looks like I listened to Elude once back in 2018, when it came out.  The fact that I couldn't remember that does not exactly speak well, but that was also 3-4 years ago.  It's feasible that my tastes have changed and I'd maybe click more with it if I revisited it, now.  I should try it.

Pretty sure you and my IRL friend would get along very well because we’re basically this haha.   The tree trunk to our musical connection is the same but branches go in far different directions typically.

I can understand if someone can’t get into Grivo.  Feels like an all or nothing type of band.  Those warm moody tones hit the spot so perfectly for me so I can gobble it all up.  But if it doesn’t click for you then there’s basically zero variety in their two albums.  

On 1/28/2022 at 5:16 PM, OldKentuckyShark said:

The way people feel about Grivo is how I feel about the new Mondaze.  I liked the 3 song demo of which some of that appears here but over the course of the whole album absolutely nothing stood out for me.  Just came & went without leaving any mark on me after 2 full listens.

Grivo scratches that itch of gloom/ doom that comes into my life or resurfaces every now and again.  Not an every day band for sure. They're not as downtempo as True Widow....(is any other band, as in s l o w w w w?) but there's some intersection in the music to my ears. Different vocal styles of course.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 8:31 PM, Derek™ said:

I'll jump into the fray and say that those Tennis System albums did not move me at all.  I don't get it.  It's too... weird for me.  I want my shoegaze to be relatively straightforward. 

That Grivo album is sick though, I loved it.  Did not expect that at all.  It's basically more of the Outlander style.

Which, speaking of that Outlander style, here's one that you guys may like with much more vocal emphasis:

On 2/23/2022 at 8:23 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

I'll jump into the fray and say that those Tennis System albums did not move me at all.  I don't get it.  It's too... weird for me.  I want my shoegaze to be relatively straightforward. 

That Grivo album is sick though, I loved it.  Did not expect that at all.  It's basically more of the Outlander style.

Which, speaking of that Outlander style, here's one that you guys may like with much more vocal emphasis:

It’s ok you’re allowed to be wrong about Tennis System.  😉 

Also, I couldn’t disagree more about deathcrash being at all similar to Outlander.  Other than being slowcore.  I thought it sounds like a mix of the most chill parts of La Dispute & American Football with the vibes of Cigarettes After Sex.  Outlander is wall of sound style slowcore/gaze.  I don’t get wall of sound anything from deathcrash.

10 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Speaking of Tennis System, Autophobia is getting another release on RSD, but with a slew of bonus tracks.   Very stoked.

Normal album plus…

Sorry | Look Me In the Eyes | Never Enough | Hollow | SWRV

I didn't like the album at all when it came out and something clicked months later so this is pretty good news. Is it gonna be a 2LP?