Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

Goodness gracious, Bliss Fields: Slowly, Forever from Acrobat Unstable showed up today! 11 months from order date, but it made it. Almost through with side B and no issues, sounds decent for clear with splatter.

edit: 20% off use "SLOWLYFOREVER" on orders. Also, love the search tag "cough syrup" on bandcamp 🤣

Edited by drds89

1 hour ago, poweredbytrust said:

@drds89 thanks for the heads up. So I hope mine will arrive soon as well. It was a long wait for sure. I wouldn't have thought the variant to come out THIS amazing though:

spacer.png

Beautiful. It looks a lot like the "Out of the Sky" by Salt Creek.

https://www.discogs.com/release/23293706-Salt-Creek-Out-Of-The-Sky

On 10/9/2022 at 7:28 PM, drds89 said:

Goodness gracious, Bliss Fields: Slowly, Forever from Acrobat Unstable showed up today! 11 months from order date, but it made it. Almost through with side B and no issues, sounds decent for clear with splatter.

edit: 20% off use "SLOWLYFOREVER" on orders. Also, love the search tag "cough syrup" on bandcamp 🤣

Yikes - from the label's site:

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER - due to an issue during the pressing process, it is safe to assume that your record will have a defect where the audio will be warble-y. In order to a) prevent longer shipping wait times and b) continue actively supporting Bliss Fields, the band and I have decided to still sell the copies that we have on-hand and make sure future pressings will not have this issue. All orders will include a coupon for 20% off your next purchase. We are terribly sorry for this inconvenience, and we thank you for your understanding.

THIRD MAN RECORDS ANNOUNCES SOUTHEAST OF SATURN. VOL. 2 OUT DECEMBER 2 – Third Man Records – Official Store

Third Man Records is excited to announce Southeast Of Saturn Vol. 2, to be released December 2, 2022. The compilation is a follow-up to 2020’s Southeast of Saturn, a collection of music from Detroit’s space-rock/shoegaze/dream pop scene of the ‘90s. The second volume expands upon the Michigan-centric aural delights purveyed on Vol. 1, by including groups from throughout the Midwest. Highlighting groups spanning Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, Vol. 2 works to cement the Midwest's status as a breeding ground for the space-rock and shoegaze subgenres, which more famously burgeoned in the UK.

Exclusive limited-edition copies of Southeast Of Saturn Vol. 2 on Full Moon & Great Lake colored vinyl will be available in select independent record stores across the US and in UK/EU, as well as at Third Man Records’ Nashville and Detroit storefronts. Hard to deny the heavy UK influence on many of these midwest US bands, so keep an eye out for a special Detroit, Minneapolis and London release day events - TBD.

Once again, there are no big names or crossover artists on Southeast Of Saturn Vol. 2. However, for those who know that digging deep in the real and virtual record bins yields the greatest rewards, this 18-track compendium will trigger profound swoons. We've scoured the Midwestern underground, highlighting the evanescent acts of the 90’s such as Star Phase 23 and Sidereal, so you don't have to.

Southeast of Saturn Vol. 2 is first-class aural escapism from America's big-shouldered outpost of outward-bound rock.

Tracklist:

1. Colfax Abbey - "Feel"

2. Star Phase 23 - "How To Be A+"

3. Monaural - "Rhodes"

4. Grimble Grumble - "Odyssey and Oracle"

5. Sidereal - "Barrette"

6.  Fauna - "To Ecstasy"

7. Shapeshifter - "Low Profile"

8. The Sunflower Conspiracy - "Belle Chase"

9. Catherine - "It's No Lie"

10. 27 Various - "Turn On and On"

11. Kiln - "Supersonic Kid"

12. Veronica Lake - "Sleepyhouse"

13. Shallow - "King of the Wide Eyed Girls"

14. Ousia - "Pure Surface Theory"

15. Au Revoir Borealis - "Heavens Downward"

16. Novasonic Down Hyperspace - "Abducted to Venus"

17. Xebec - "Impulse Red"

18. Sabine - "Painting Portraits"

1 hour ago, Pug__Face said:

THIRD MAN RECORDS ANNOUNCES SOUTHEAST OF SATURN. VOL. 2 OUT DECEMBER 2 – Third Man Records – Official Store

Third Man Records is excited to announce Southeast Of Saturn Vol. 2, to be released December 2, 2022. The compilation is a follow-up to 2020’s Southeast of Saturn, a collection of music from Detroit’s space-rock/shoegaze/dream pop scene of the ‘90s. The second volume expands upon the Michigan-centric aural delights purveyed on Vol. 1, by including groups from throughout the Midwest. Highlighting groups spanning Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, Vol. 2 works to cement the Midwest's status as a breeding ground for the space-rock and shoegaze subgenres, which more famously burgeoned in the UK.

Exclusive limited-edition copies of Southeast Of Saturn Vol. 2 on Full Moon & Great Lake colored vinyl will be available in select independent record stores across the US and in UK/EU, as well as at Third Man Records’ Nashville and Detroit storefronts. Hard to deny the heavy UK influence on many of these midwest US bands, so keep an eye out for a special Detroit, Minneapolis and London release day events - TBD.

Once again, there are no big names or crossover artists on Southeast Of Saturn Vol. 2. However, for those who know that digging deep in the real and virtual record bins yields the greatest rewards, this 18-track compendium will trigger profound swoons. We've scoured the Midwestern underground, highlighting the evanescent acts of the 90’s such as Star Phase 23 and Sidereal, so you don't have to.

Southeast of Saturn Vol. 2 is first-class aural escapism from America's big-shouldered outpost of outward-bound rock.

Tracklist:

1. Colfax Abbey - "Feel"

2. Star Phase 23 - "How To Be A+"

3. Monaural - "Rhodes"

4. Grimble Grumble - "Odyssey and Oracle"

5. Sidereal - "Barrette"

6.  Fauna - "To Ecstasy"

7. Shapeshifter - "Low Profile"

8. The Sunflower Conspiracy - "Belle Chase"

9. Catherine - "It's No Lie"

10. 27 Various - "Turn On and On"

11. Kiln - "Supersonic Kid"

12. Veronica Lake - "Sleepyhouse"

13. Shallow - "King of the Wide Eyed Girls"

14. Ousia - "Pure Surface Theory"

15. Au Revoir Borealis - "Heavens Downward"

16. Novasonic Down Hyperspace - "Abducted to Venus"

17. Xebec - "Impulse Red"

18. Sabine - "Painting Portraits"

"It's No Lie" by Catherine is one of the most underrated amazing songs from that era!

19 hours ago, hookedonsonics said:

Yikes - from the label's site:

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER - due to an issue during the pressing process, it is safe to assume that your record will have a defect where the audio will be warble-y. In order to a) prevent longer shipping wait times and b) continue actively supporting Bliss Fields, the band and I have decided to still sell the copies that we have on-hand and make sure future pressings will not have this issue. All orders will include a coupon for 20% off your next purchase. We are terribly sorry for this inconvenience, and we thank you for your understanding.

2nd time through - no "warble" 😰

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, natenomm said:

Saw another lovesliescrushing album popped up in Discogs. Does anyone know anything about this release?

https://www.discogs.com/release/24943498-lovesliescrushing-xuvetyn

Been teased on social media for a minute by Scott.  I keep waiting for more info to get posted, and didn’t realize it was on Discogs already.  (Nice catch.)  Good to know they’ll ship almost immediately after being able to order… which should be soon.  Scott claims it’s going to be a big release and widely available, supposedly.

4 minutes ago, natenomm said:

That'd be pretty cool. Getting Bloweyelashwish was a bit of a hassle for some, to say the least.

Yeah it was.  In hindsight I feel silly about all the grumbling I did waiting for that Kickstarter to get fulfilled – sure beats paying for what that record has fetched in recent years.

I wish I knew if there were any variants or limited components to the Xuvetyn drop, or if “easily available” speaks to 1,000+ black copies after a slick limited edition goes quick.  It sounds like this will be available in indie stores, too, which seems so weird and hard to imagine.  I guess I’ll believe it when I see it.  Hopefully it does well and also leads to Glissceule on vinyl, someday.

15 hours ago, natenomm said:

That'd be pretty cool. Getting Bloweyelashwish was a bit of a hassle for some, to say the least.

I had no IDEA Bloweyelashwish was ever pressed to vinyl. 😯

The only vinyl I knew about was the purple 7-inch.

I will put it on my wantlist, but I doubt I will be able to find one, unless it gets repressed.

Will keep an eye out for Xuvetyn though!

Edited by Plarocks

On 10/26/2022 at 5:23 AM, Plarocks said:

I had no IDEA Bloweyelashwish was ever pressed to vinyl. 😯

The only vinyl I knew about was the purple 7-inch.

I will put it on my wantlist, but I doubt I will be able to find one, unless it gets repressed.

Will keep an eye out for Xuvetyn though!

Xuvetyn should be dropping in 30 minutes.

[edit]

A few hours late but it’s up on bandcamp.  No press quantity given but limited to 2 per person.  $11 shipping is kinda’ gnarly, but I don’t know if it’ll be cheaper elsewhere. 🤷‍♂️ You also have to remember that Scott is self-releasing these.  Buying it now (or Bandcamp Friday if it’s still in stock on 11/4) is probably the best way to get the money into his pocket.

Edited by Derek™

I'm really struggling.

$50 for 75 minutes of sonic bliss.

Hand packed and mailed by Scott himself. 

I splurged on the Astrobrite cassettes at $12 a pop. The inflation is real, and I know the  man does have to eat.

Confession:  If it were /300 signed by him and Melissa like bloweyelashwish, I probably would have pulled the trigger already.  Just checked discogs on that one, and I should probably be handling with white gloves every time I spin it lol!!

26 minutes ago, drds89 said:

I'm really struggling.

$50 for 75 minutes of sonic bliss.

Hand packed and mailed by Scott himself. 

I splurged on the Astrobrite cassettes at $12 a pop. The inflation is real, and I know the  man does have to eat.

Confession:  If it were /300 signed by him and Melissa like bloweyelashwish, I probably would have pulled the trigger already.  Just checked discogs on that one, and I should probably be handling with white gloves every time I spin it lol!!

Is that pressing as bad as everyone says it is?  That’s why I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on this one even though it’s black vinyl and probably sounds better as a result.  

1 hour ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

Is that pressing as bad as everyone says it is?  That’s why I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on this one even though it’s black vinyl and probably sounds better as a result.  

The album is obviously noisy in nature so maybe I’m not being as critical as I ought to be, but I wouldn’t call it a terrible press – are you referring to the 2 comments on Discogs? That “review” section is pretty entertaining.  One guy keeps malding over the aftermarket prices.  A few more seem really confused where and when the Kickstarter happened.  Throw in a “just buy the CD like I did it sounds good” cope.  Your usual shenanigans for that site.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

The album is obviously noisy in nature so maybe I’m not being as critical as I ought to be, but I wouldn’t call it a terrible press – are you referring to the 2 comments on Discogs? That “review” section is pretty entertaining.  One guy keeps malding over the aftermarket prices.  A few more seem really confused where and when the Kickstarter happened.  Throw in a “just buy the CD like I did it sounds good” cope.  Your usual shenanigans for that site.

Yeah it was basically just those.  Don’t usually pay attention to it but since it was a press done by the band I was a little more cautious.  

1 hour ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

Yeah it was basically just those.  Don’t usually pay attention to it but since it was a press done by the band I was a little more cautious.  

Understandable.  For what it’s worth, there’s 2 comments I’ve spied so far (1 on IG, 1 on Discogs, could be the same person) which have said that Xuvetyn sounds excellent.  I guess Scott was selling copies last week at Astrobrite shows, so a few folks have had their hands on copies for a minute.  Given that the music spans across 2 LPs, I’d like to believe those early takes aren’t just fanboy chatter.

23 hours ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

Not at all, dead quiet in between tracks and the portions not "noise."