Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

5 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Are you saying it wasn't dumb though? I think we can all admit it was pretty dumb. Haha Taylor Swift making a gnar face with a Jag = shoegaze hahahaha. No need to fight about it lol.

That's kind of how I feel.  But isn't shoegaze more or less known for not going hard on the vocals?  The photo in question seems like it'd be better suited for something akin to can't wait for Taylor's feature on the new Converge record, with an appropriate bump in that thread.  Maybe that's just me.

If you're going to jokingly bump a thread, respect the theme and structure, goddammit.  It's what separates us from the animals.

fHY36IF.png

Next.

And now the new Taffy is up for PO. I believe Norman records will also carry as they with all Club AC30 releases.

‘Nyctophilia’ showcases everything you could want from a Taffy record, but with a subtle difference. “I always write the songs as singles” explains singer Iris, “but for this album, for the first time, I wrote songs just to be part of the album”, and this is evident upon first listen. This album builds on the bands atmospheric guitar work and noise-rock sound, all the while showcasing their renowned dreamy, sugar-sweet songwriting under-pinned by Graham Coxon-esque 90’s guitar riffs.

The album name displays a certain continuity with their lauded 2015 EP, ‘Darkle’ conveying feelings of darkness and love for the night, almost in direct contrast to the band’s bright, shimmering sound.

A swirl of transcendental melodies, new single ‘dd’ is a reverb-laden cacophony of fuzz bass and soaring, anthemic vocals backed with beautiful, psychedelic soundscapes. Tracks such as ‘Runic Wade’ and ‘Lavendery’ take a step away from layered guitar work and take a more delicate approach, with dynamic and spacious recordings that give center stage to Iris’ blissful and otherworldly vocals.

With sensibilities reminiscent of Elastica and The Stone Roses, Taffy have always been inspired by the works of British artists and in ‘Nyctophilia’ they were given the chance to play homage to one of their favorites with a cover of ‘Come Home Baby’ by The Charlatans. Tim Burgess has been something of a longtime fan speaking publicly of his fondness for the band, taking them on tour. Of the cover he said "it's an honour” but the band insist the honour is all theirs.

Track Listing

1. RunicWade
  2. dd
  3. THANTOPHOBIA
  4. Lavendery
  5. ComeHomeBaby
  6. reTRAIN
  7. Murkiii
  8. Luminous Ride

Pressing Information

250 copies on 180g clear vinyl with black and light blue flecks, on a heavy reverse board outer and colour inner sleeve.

http://clubac30.limitedrun.com/products/587196

No Sun announced a tour today

NORTH AMERICA TOUR

3/9      Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge
3/10    Denver, CO @ Mutiny Information Cafe
3/11    Kansas City, MO @ The Couch
3/12    St. Louis, MO @ Foam
3/13    Milwaukee, MN @ Ground Zero
3/14    Minneapolis, MN @ Safe Haus
3/15    Chicago, IL @ Quenchers
3/16    Fort Wayne, IN @ The Tiger Room
3/17    Elyria, OH @ Blank State Elyria
3/18    Toronto, ON @ The Smiling Buddha
3/19    Montreal, QC @ Brasserie Beaubien
3/20    Syracuse, NY @ The Reformed Church of Syracuse
3/21    Florence, MA - 13th Floor Music Lounge
3/22    Boston, MA @ The Middle East
3/24    Montclair, NJ @ Meatlocker
3/25    Brooklyn, NY @ St. Vitus
3/26    Wilkes Barre, PA @ The Other Side
3/27    Baltimore, MD @ The Windup Space
3/28    Philadelphia, Pa @ Kung Fu Necktie
3/29    Richmond, VA - @ The Castle
3/30    Charlotte, NC @ The Station On Central
04/1    Houston, TX @ Satellite Bar
04/2    Austin, TX @ Beerland
04/4    El Paso, TX @ The Sandbox
04/5    Tempe, AZ @ 51 West

Just now, youspinmeround said:

Trementina has a new record out on burger on March 24. Last album was fantastic 

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/chilean-shoegazers-trementina-releasing-debut-album-on-burger-listen-to-please-lets-go-away/

I had never heard of this band until about an hour ago, when my better half just messaged me a screen-cap of the band on Spotify and asked me if I had heard of them.  I'm assuming they were in her suggested artists / curated Spotify lists.  Will definitely have to check that out.

Believe it or not, several years ago DF had a shoegaze 'lunchtime' suggestion thread - and Trementina was on there. Soundcloud iirc. Glad they made physical - which I believe is still readily available. Only one track I want to skip (you know which one I'm talking about). Will wait to hear the new one.

i like the new Taffy track and eager to see if the final product really is a different direction. "Darkle" is a great listen and glad to have that on vinyl. Haven't pulled the trigger on the rest yet.

20 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Is it true that Ride is the shoegaze band you go to when you can't listen to Slowdive which you go to when you can't listen to My Bloody Valentine?

Yeah, then you just listen to Swervedriver, then you do a bunch of drugs and listen to Primal Scream

On 2/20/2017 at 9:25 PM, youspinmeround said:

Trementina has a new record out on burger on March 24. Last album was fantastic 

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/chilean-shoegazers-trementina-releasing-debut-album-on-burger-listen-to-please-lets-go-away/

In case any too lazy to go find Trementia and order