I'm heading off to college in two months time, and I won't have anywhere to keep the records I've been collecting since the age of 14, so I've decided to sell them all. I need to get rid of them in the next two months. If speed is an issue, would ebay or discogs be better? Many of the records are a similar style (indie rock), so would it be wise to sell them in a lot? Which would get sold quicker?

Any tips?

I'm heading off to college in two months time, and I won't have anywhere to keep the records I've been collecting since the age of 14, so I've decided to sell them all. I need to get rid of them in the next two months. If speed is an issue, would ebay or discogs be better? Many of the records are a similar style (indie rock), so would it be wise to sell them in a lot? Which would get sold quicker?

Any tips?

Post a list on the Sell/trade forum to give us lovely people at VC first dibs :) .

Then after a week or so throw whatever is left on ebay seperatley to get $$$ for any records that's actually worth anything.

After then throw the rest up that is left as a job lot as the ones that are left aren't probably worth much by themselves.

That's what I'd do anyways then you've got rid of them all in 3 weeks.

this may be one of those moments where after you spend a month or two in college and realize that you totally have space for vinyl, and that it would be awesome to have at school because you made friends that would actually appreciate your indie rock collection, but you ended up selling everything for cheap 2 months earlier....

this may be one of those moments where after you spend a month or two in college and realize that you totally have space for vinyl, and that it would be awesome to have at school because you made friends that would actually appreciate your indie rock collection, but you ended up selling everything for cheap 2 months earlier....

Or if you find a cool, dry place and pack them well, they will be in exactly the same condition 4 years from now as they are today.  Friends, family?  One way to almost guarantee you get less than something is worth is to sell under pressure of time.  

Hopefully this isn't insulting but if you do plan to sell, you will also need enough mailers to ship everything.  I don't know how many records you have but if you are selling even 50 or 100, that's going to be a lot of mailers. 

Discogs sales tend to be set prices (you can take offers) whereas eBay offers auctions.  A 7 day auction will be over in 7 days but unless you set a minimum bid, you have no real control over how much you get.  I don't know where you are but there could be a used record store in your area.  They will take anything they think they can resell but will probably offer you about 40% of what they will resell it for.

I DID THIS EXACTLY...

and I super regret it.

If it's something you really want to do because your interest has waned or you don't enjoy them anymore, go for it. But honestly selling off part of my collection was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. I sold maybe 300-400 albums (it was a few years ago and I kept about 100), and some of them are very hard to replace (hard to find, expensive now to replace, etc.) At the time I thought it was great, I didn't have to worry about storage, I got lots of money that helped with school. But now that I'm settled down, building that collection again has been really frustrating.

I wish I had sold the doubles or ones that I didn't listen to anymore and used the money to pay to store all the others. It would have been expensive in the long run but giving up somethings would have been worth it.

I'm sure if you sell them, people here would give you a fair price but in my experience the hassel of keeping them would have been worth it in the long run.

not really, most of these records i don't like anymore anyways

The Pavement and DJ Shadow albums you have are essential for everyone.