Custom Record Sleeves by Andrew Lucas

Guest deleted

I especially love how I'm not even going to buy one of these and am just showing support to someone else.

You're not showing support for the original artist, who had to work MUCH harder to create this and who does this for a career.

I'm glad he emailed the artist. Good luck with this... guessing I know the answer.

Awesome work cutting, folding and gluing!!!

HAHA!!!

That's like some grade 2 positivity! ;)

You sir, are a huge asshole. From what I've seen, you contribute nothing but negativity and bullshit to this board and therefore have no room to criticize anyone else.

Guest deleted

You sir, are a huge asshole. From what I've seen, you contribute nothing but negativity and bullshit to this board and therefore have no room to criticize anyone else.

Commenting on stealing art is BS? Hmm. Interesting interpretation.

People need to chill, I'm sure most bands would be cool with one offs for tests etc, I asked Punch if I could use their logo for a test sleeve and they said no problem. It's probably best to ask though, who knows they may want some for their other tests?

Oh, but it's all about the "real truth" and "real talk".  Fuck that.  Andrew is doing an awesome job on the work he's done, but there's always some asshole that has to shit in the pool.

You're not showing support for the original artist, who had to work MUCH harder to create this and who does this for a career.

I'm glad he emailed the artist. Good luck with this... guessing I know the answer.

i'll bite. the original images were sold as limited edition prints. they're all sold out and sell for 3-4x as much on ebay. the artist isn't seeing any of the profit from that. mondo doesn't repress their prints. the images aren't going to be used for anything else.

any profit is marginal at best when considering the time put in, and money spent on equipment and supplies.

it's not like he is screenprinting 24x36 posters. people actually replicate movie posters all the time. look at all the single-sided prints on ebay that are unlicensed, or the trends releases that you can buy for like $7 at walmart.

and as mentioned, he already emailed whalen about it.

Anyone here arguing that they are correct one way or another honestly can't say so for sure. No matter how they 'feel' about it.

The legality of reproducing what is essentially fan art for sale is murky at best and really would have to be taken on a case for case basis AND it ultimately comes down to whether or not the original content creator can prove that the 'infringing' work fails Fair Use under the balancing test:

Fair use under United States law

Also there's consideration about whether or not the work is derivative of the original and displays 'transformativeness'

Here's some light reading for anyone with an opinion on the matter: http://kirawra.deviantart.com/art/The-Truth-About-Selling-Fanart-212570726

Also, here's a great video by Josh Wattles, legal advisor of deviantArt: 

563px-Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreeme

Careful, someone will start bitching about Trey Parker/Matt Stone now...

Who knew there were a bunch of pussies on vc.

no sleeves for anyone ever

Jesus, you guys need to get off the dude's dick. This is insanity. He's not making jack shit and is spending a pretty crazy amount of his own free time just to do something cool for VC users. It's not like the guy opened up a Big Cartel or wtfever.

That being said, to please the pussies, I can certainly contact Fear Before and give them a heads up to make sure it's cool for the 'Art Damage' sleeve. I'm be surprised if they had a problem with it. Will report back with a response.

If the original jackets weren't made in such a shit manner then this would not be necessary. Quit being titty babies.

Guys I fixed it. Andrew, you can use my own artwork for your covers - royalty free.

N96Sh0Ml.jpg

Currently taking other requests... Aladin? The Little Nemo?

If these were $25 shipped then mine should be $35 shipped. If I'm not mistaken these were simply 12x16" printed on one side and 4" folded onto the back side for the track listing. Not an actual record jacket. I win.

This is literally why we can't have nice things. Andrew, you keep on doing whatever.

Oh, but it's all about the "real truth" and "real talk".  Fuck that.  Andrew is doing an awesome job on the work he's done, but there's always some asshole that has to shit in the pool.

I'm not too big on drama and pointless arguing. Take that shit somewhere else. We dont need a bunch of pointless bitching. I wrote the guy, we'll see what he says. At this point I dont give a shit what he says, I'd rather just use the lamp, rose, etc. idea. Way less headache. Arguing about the legality of using another persons art is one thing but attacking me personally and implying that the quality of my hard work is something a 2nd grader could do is another thing. You didnt buy a jacket from me so you have no fucking idea what youre talking about.