Official LTJ Thread

• 9 months later...

2xLP version of Silver Linings  is available now, shipping next month. Includes two b-sides and 4 acoustic tracks, and looks like a screened or etched b-side for the 2nd disc. 

13. No One To Judge Me
14. Empty Lines
15. Anytime and Anywhere (acoustic)
16. Dear Me (Acoustic)
17. The High Cost of Low Living (Acoustic)
18. Move (Acoustic)

https://purenoise.merchnow.com/collections/featured/products/ltj0sldxbw-lp

I did a quick search and didn't see it posted already.  Real Gone Music has a reissue of In With The Out Crowd on "Grape" vinyl available for order. Its also on Amazon (same RGM version) but a bit cheaper direct.  Looks like around 3k pressed based on comments I've seen.  Street date is 11/11/22.

https://realgonemusic.com/collections/upcoming/products/less-than-jake-in-with-the-out-crowd-lp

spacer.png

8 hours ago, thenameisluigi said:

2xLP version of Silver Linings  is available now, shipping next month. Includes two b-sides and 4 acoustic tracks, and looks like a screened or etched b-side for the 2nd disc. 

Sigh. Of all the trends out there, this is the most annoying. Pure Noise and New Found Glory have both been doing this forever. Would I have bought the deluxe edition on launch day? Yes. Will I buy it now? No. I already have the album, probably in a variant I like, and I don't want to bother selling my other one just to not have two copies of every record I buy from the label.

Deluxe editions are the cancer of physical formats. So pointless and stupid. Do you have demos,  bedroom acoustic versions, etc cool story, put it on bandcamp for pay what you want, but don't do a 2xlp, alternate cover cashgrab few years after the initial release... 

Edited by xfactor675

27 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

Deluxe editions are the cancer of physical formats. So pointless and stupid. Do you have demos,  bedroom acoustic versions, etc cool story, put it on bandcamp for pay what you want, but don't do a 2xlp, alternate cover cashgrab few years after the initial release... 

Kind of a dumb argument. I get more annoyed when there is material that I would love to have on vinyl, but it's only available digitally. I can see how the double dip can be annoying, and a better solution might be just to throw those on a 7" or 12" EP that people could buy separately. No one is forcing you to double dip though...

More cancerous is only making albums available as super low runs of ridiculous color variants.

15 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

Kind of a dumb argument. I get more annoyed when there is material that I would love to have on vinyl, but it's only available digitally. I can see how the double dip can be annoying, and a better solution might be just to throw those on a 7" or 12" EP that people could buy separately. No one is forcing you to double dip though...

More cancerous is only making albums available as super low runs of ridiculous color variants.

Are you really putting on a record to listen to a specific song's demo, live or acoustic version?  Maybe I'm way too lazy but these songs are meant to be played on a crappy airpod while commuting to work, but in that case I'd still rather just listen to the album version. I don't know for me these are all 2nd tier material which don't deserve the effort putting them out physically, especially for marking them as "deluxe" while ruining for example the original artwork for another round of cashgrab. Also i'd never double dip, the worst part is if I don't have the original, most of the time don't buy these deluxes either, as I wanf to have it beyond the og circumstances. So im for keep repressing the og material as long as there is demand, if  there is not, don't make fake demand by releasing a 14th anniversary deluxe editions. Long rant sorry. 

Edited by xfactor675

2 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

Are you really putting on a record to listen to a specific song's demo, live or acoustic version?  Maybe I'm way too lazy but these songs are meant to be played on a crapy airpod while commuting to work, but in that case I'd still rather just listen to the album version. I don't know for me these are all 2nd tier material which don't deserve the effort putting them out physically, especially for marking them as "deluxe" while ruining for example the original artwork for another round of cashgrab. Also i'd never double, the worst part is if I don't have the original, most of the time don't buy these deluxes either, as I wanf to have it beyond the og circumstances. So im for keep repressing the og material as long as there is demand, if  there is not, don't make fake demand by releasing a 14th anniversary deluxe editions. Long rant sorry. 

For Less Than Jake? No. But for many artists, yeah, I love their demos and alternate versions.

Again, no one is forcing you to double dip. They are not creating "fake demand." WTF even is that? If people buy it, there is demand...

I highly doubt that this version will replace the regular album moving forward in subsequent presses.

Chastising a band for releasing music on physical media, in a forum about physical media is dumb. There are what, at least 12 variants/presses of this album? People can still easily purchase the regular album if that is what they prefer...

23 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

For Less Than Jake? No. But for many artists, yeah, I love their demos and alternate versions.

Again, no one is forcing you to double dip. They are not creating "fake demand." WTF even is that? If people buy it, there is demand...

I highly doubt that this version will replace the regular album moving forward in subsequent presses.

Chastising a band for releasing music on physical media, in a forum about physical media is dumb. There are what, at least 12 variants/presses of this album? People can still easily purchase the regular album if that is what they prefer...

I wasn't bashing ltj for this, more like deluxe copies in general. 

Fake demand might not be the right term for what I meant, but I exactly meant what you said in your last paragraph. The label's sole intention with these is to make it more desirable again, and also want to milk the same people again who has the og version, and yet these songs never really worth anything at all, and has zero effort from the band/label. 

B-sides are obviously different, but on that I agree with you, release it as a 7".

I also never said you are dumb for your opinion btw. 

Edited by xfactor675

8 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

I wasn't bashing ltj for this, more like deluxe copies in general. 

Fake demand might not be the right term for what I meant, but I exactly meant what you said in your last paragraph. The label's sole intention with these is to make it more desirable again, and also want to milk the same people again who has the og version, and yet these songs never really worth anything at all, and has zero effort from the band/label. 

B-sides are obviously different, but on that I agree with you, release it as a 7".

I also never said you are dumb for your opinion btw. 

I never claimed you said that. It's all good.

My point is, that for a lot of bands, demos, alternate takes, and b-sides can be absolute treasures. I hate when really great material in this category is relegated to digital only. For quite a few bands, I jump on the Deluxe versions that come out and then sell my regular LP if the audio quality is similar. I'm not a variant collector. I just want the music on vinyl in the best quality as possible.

For Less Than Jake, yeah, I'm not really interested. To be frank, I don't like most of their post 90s material. But, to claim that the band is milking people by making this available is a little silly. Nobody is holding a gun to the consumer's head and making them buy these releases. If people buy it, that's on those people.

All of the weird quirks about the modern vinyl pressing industry are completely consumer driven. If people weren't buying these deluxe editions, bands wouldn't invest the time and money in making them available.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:44 AM, xfactor675 said:

The label's sole intention with these is to make it more desirable again, and also want to milk the same people again who has the og version, and yet these songs never really worth anything at all, and has zero effort from the band/label. 

LOL

22 hours ago, xfactor675 said:

Anything real to contribute? 

The only reason this version of the album happened is because the band wanted to do it. They like the b-sides and the acoustic versions and wanted it pressed and wanted to re-vamp the physical packaging.

Saying this has zero effort from the band/label is just flat out ignorant and disrespectful quite honestly, many people (myself included) worked very hard to make this version of the record.

If you don't like it or think its stupid then just don't buy it but no need to throw around disrespectful comments when you have zero knowledge of what it takes to put out something like this, or any record quite frankly.

42 minutes ago, IanRees said:

The only reason this version of the album happened is because the band wanted to do it. They like the b-sides and the acoustic versions and wanted it pressed and wanted to re-vamp the physical packaging.

Saying this has zero effort from the band/label is just flat out ignorant and disrespectful quite honestly, many people (myself included) worked very hard to make this version of the record.

If you don't like it or think its stupid then just don't buy it but no need to throw around disrespectful comments when you have zero knowledge of what it takes to put out something like this, or any record quite frankly.

I never said anything specially on this particular release, and/or about releasing b-sides in general.

I said what i said about pointless deluxe editions with bedroom demos, acoustic tracks etc which can be perfect to have digitally. In those cases the sole reason from the label/band is to make a pop with zero effort involved. It is just not fair against the buyer of the og version especially in this economic situation. 

On the other hand you could have just released the b-sides as a standalone entity, and you wouldn't double charge someone who really wants to buy it for the album.

And yes I never released anything, this is just a regular buyer talking who is fed up with 30 dollar single LPs and yes it's not your fault either. So all in all in, sorry it was never against your/the label. 

35 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

I never said anything specially on this particular release, and/or about releasing b-sides in general.

I said what i said about pointless deluxe editions with bedroom demos, acoustic tracks etc which can be perfect to have digitally. In those cases the sole reason from the label/band is to make a pop with zero effort involved. It is just not fair against the buyer of the og version especially in this economic situation. 

On the other hand you could have just released the b-sides as a standalone entity, and you wouldn't double charge someone who really wants to buy it for the album.

And yes I never released anything, this is just a regular buyer talking who is fed up with 30 dollar single LPs and yes it's not your fault either. So all in all in, sorry it was never against your/the label. 

Perhaps I got overly worked up and offended, for that I apologize.

In this very particular case, this is exactly how the band wanted to release the product and they have final say over anything we put out of theirs. The standard edition is still very widely available as well, but they did not want to do the bsides/acoustic songs as their own release.

In regards to a $30 LP,  we aren't at $30 for a single LP  but we try to keep our prices as low as possible, but in a post covid world production costs have soured and unfortunately there's only so low we can go.