A Winged Victory For the Sullen - Atomos (2x12 LTD CLEAR)

Oct. 6th 2014:

AWVFTS newest album (2nd), and 3rd release since the recent Atomos IV EP….ERASED TAPES RECORDS (amazing and high quality label in Berlin) is pressing a limited edition (500) copies on CLEAR vinyl in gatefold sleeve. (these will probably be 180g like most of their releases, just a guess)

Not sure if Kranky is going to press as well, highly likely! But the ONLY way to get the CLEAR is mail order (per Facebook)

Sadly for USA customers its about $58 shipped! (worth it to me, because this is the best neoclassical music out there today!) Those that don't care about CLEAR would benefit to wait for KRANKY pressing! 

http://www.erasedtapes.com/store/index/ERATP061

A little bit about the album: This was a commissioned piece of music for dance (after the choreographer used to play their debut during dance practice, became inspired to use the band!) 

That price is gnarly, but considering how ethereal and ace this release will be, and how long I've been waiting for it, and the fact they randomly went with a clear variant... I caved with zero regret. Been selling a few records lately – I'm trying to think of this as a trade of sorts, since it didn't even scratch my checking account.

Anyone who doesn't care about variants should (eventually) be able to get this on black vinyl for ~$25, via Kranky.

They posted that Kranky will be pressing as well but be prepared for non-gatefold and 140g?? Speculation but usually kranky pressings are pretty standard in comparison! (Hence less $)

Not like this is unknown, but you are getting the same music for about $40 less if you buy from Kranky. It's not worth that much (to me) for colored vinyl and a gatefold. Why the assumption that it won't be gatefold though? Most 2xLPs I have from them are and they are not lacking in quality.

Not like this is unknown, but you are getting the same music for about $40 less if you buy from Kranky. It's not worth that much (to me) for colored vinyl and a gatefold. Why the assumption that it won't be gatefold though? Most 2xLPs I have from them are and they are not lacking in quality.

Totally not saying that Kranky pressings are not quality. However, if you look through the thread of their debut album most people complained of noise and it being too quiet! I've talked with Windy and Carl who are on the label (own my local shop) and they said Kranky almost chooses (and often does) to not press classical or quiet albums to vinyl because the pressing quality in the USA is not good enough! Obviously they still do to an extent! But the pressing plants in Berlin that Erased Tapes uses are far superior then where Kranky presses are manufactured. So YES, it will be a better pressing overall. All the 2xLPs I own from Kranky (with the exception of Stars of the Lid) are not gatefold. I am sure they do both. 

Just going off of other examples, that Erased tapes jackets have been different than Kranky's for other releases. (the Atomos EP was different) Its all speculation I am just tying to inform from an educated guess! I agree with many on here that if you don't love this band and care less about variants and such get the Kranky pressing! 

But those that really love them and care a lot about having the "best" between the 2, Erased Tapes is the clear choice! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just checked out the trailer for this and added it to the list of things I've gotta pick up from Kranky when Grouper gets put up for order. I'm slacking in the ambient department and would love some other recs if anyone has any. So far I've got these guys, Loscil, Grouper, Noveller, Altus, Stars of the Lid, and that's about it.

Just checked out the trailer for this and added it to the list of things I've gotta pick up from Kranky when Grouper gets put up for order. I'm slacking in the ambient department and would love some other recs if anyone has any. So far I've got these guys, Loscil, Grouper, Noveller, Altus, Stars of the Lid, and that's about it.

Check out some Eluvium (Nightmare Ending), Sundrugs (Hidden Scenes), anything by Saaad, Tim Hecker (Ravedeath), Bersarin Quartett, Helios, Leyland Kirby/The Caretaker, Olan Mils, Deafcenter. And for more classical/ambient like AWVFTS, Nils Frahm (Spaces), Dustin O'halloran (Lumiere), Rauelsson (Vora)

Hammock is also an excellent choice.

about half way through and its mesmerizing....its just as good as the debut, but has a different feel/tempo that is intoxicating! wow!

edit update: DEREK you are going to be blown away...I can't even stress how fantastic this record is, far exceeded my expectations. Ambient album of the year (along with Erik Skodvin's) may even be overall AOTY for me (but need more listens)   

So happy I shelled out for the Clear...Just hope it sounds fantastic as it should. Off the bat, VI is my favorite track...