A Winged Victory For the Sullen - Atomos (2x12 LTD CLEAR)

Yep. The Kranky - at least the one received - was clear, gatefold, and sounded gorgeous. Pretty damn sweet for $22ppd. I can post some pics if you'd like.

Would love to see some pics! I just realized I have $20 in my paypal account I forgot about so I think I'll probably order this. $30 shipped to Canada isn't terrible

So I got mine in from ET and I feel like I jinx myself with all this great talk about Et pressings... My side 2 has some nasty crunch sounds on first track! They are loud... A little noise through out which is expected with ultra clear wax! Wish it was milky clear... Man for $55 I am not happy on many levels... Do I be that guy and contact them over it?

If I hear more large defects I certainly will but just 1-2? Hmmm

Looks almost Identical, except the Bands name on the front is where the kranky logo is...and I would assume the labels on the other side are the standard Kranky label...

quickest email reply ever from Kranky:

Is the Kranky Pressing all clear?

all of our copies are on clear vinyl

​Looks like I was correct the entire Kranky pressing is Clear vinyl....man what a drag, would of been nice if they advertised that! They told me I was foolish to have bought the ET version! (I wrote back, thanks a lot for not letting people know you were pressing clear) 

They told me I was foolish to have bought the ET version!

That's kind of rude. I don't know; I love the music on that label, and the prices are so solid... but whoever is at the helm of their customer service is kind of a dick. Maybe he's just trying to cast a persona that literally lives up to the label's name, but I think it's a little unprofessional. Saying that you fucked up by ordering elsewhere is questionable. "Sorry, but we are also distributing the record on clear vinyl, exclusively. Apologies for any confusion" is all that needed to be said.

When I was catching up on Tim Hecker's discography, I messaged the label asking about a potential price break on shipping. Since shipping is factored into the price of each album, I just wanted to know if I could have $7 or so shaved off my order, since it wouldn't cost $12 to Media Mail 3 albums. I was exceptionally polite with my inquiry. But I got a response akin to "Eh, that's not happening. Our records are priced with shipping factored in, and they're still cheap. I'd maybe discount your total if you ordered a dozen items... but if you're only getting a handful, you're paying full price. If that's too steep for you, you can take your business elsewhere."

Okay dude.

Yea I thought it was defiantly rude...They did respond to my response, asking, "where I purchased it from?" Thought I made it clear It was from Erased Tapes, since it was exclusive through them. Yea he is KRANKY! Nice call, Derek! LOL...

I was going to send an email saying, "really foolish on your part not letting your customers know you are doing clear vinyl for this pressing. You would of scored more business from most likely all those in the USA that order the clear from ET" But they are too cool for that I guess...

God this thread is funny. Guy kept saying how much better the erased tapes version was going to be, it'll sound so much better, you should even get the black version on erased tapes instead of kranky, then when a cool little surprise happened and the kranky version is clear you were actually annoyed. You should be happy with your far Superior erased tapes pressing! (Except for The fact that your copy was damaged/doesn't sound great, which....is bitterly ironic). As for your sales advice I'm pretty sure this'll sell plenty no matter what.

And to the other guy complaining about kranky not cutting a deal give me a break. They put out awesome records and offer them cheap as hell with shipping included! You gotta be kidding me.

I don't mean to be harsh, we all enjoy the neo classical ambient tunes of a winged victory for the sullen, but c'mon chums

Is Mr. Kranks your uncle or something?

Any other label will gladly give a shipping break - even a tiny one - after a customer shows interest in several items and takes the time to write a (politely worded) message to the seller. At least the labels I order from. And 99% of sellers will offer the break immediately, upon checkout. It's what lets you pile records into your cart while paying the Media Mail cost, which maybe increases ~50¢ per item. This is such a common practice in 2014 that distros or webstores which charge separate shipping per item are the odd ones out, leaving us scratching our heads.

Look at Topshelf. Their records are, what – $13? If I place two separate orders with them, they'll refund me the difference in shipping without me asking. That's just good customer service.

God this thread is funny. Guy kept saying how much better the erased tapes version was going to be, it'll sound so much better, you should even get the black version on erased tapes instead of kranky, then when a cool little surprise happened and the kranky version is clear you were actually annoyed. You should be happy with your far Superior erased tapes pressing! (Except for The fact that your copy was damaged/doesn't sound great, which....is bitterly ironic). As for your sales advice I'm pretty sure this'll sell plenty no matter what.

And to the other guy complaining about kranky not cutting a deal give me a break. They put out awesome records and offer them cheap as hell with shipping included! You gotta be kidding me.

I don't mean to be harsh, we all enjoy the neo classical ambient tunes of a winged victory for the sullen, but c'mon chums

get out

Apparently his reading comprehension isn't that good! I clearly pointed out the irony of the situation! I still stand by statements of ET being superior... And will stand by the statements of Kranky dropping the ball and essentially losing many clear variant customers to ET...

When all is said and done i am getting a black ET copy! So yea as Root Bear said, GET OUT

I just thought it was odd that your big thing was about it was worth it because the higher quality of the pressing, then as soon as you found out the kranky release was on clear vinyl you said you wished you had just got that one instead.

I don't really do much mail order except from kranky and drag city so I can't speak to other places, but the costs on kranky seem very fair to me, and I mean, it's a small label releasing mostly niche releases; they aren't swimming in seas of money so I just feel like haggling over a couple of dollars for shipping is something I wouldn't do, I'd rather them have it and put out more records.

I know I'm screaming into the wilderness here, but the collector mentality sometimes just frustrates me so much. When I got this record in the mail and saw it was a clear vinyl I though "oh cool" but my friend here was irked/bothered/whatever. Also like when the latest ty segall record came out and some copies were red. If I had got a red one I would have though "oh cool" but there were people on here and the drag city facebook angry as hell saying "now I'll have to track one down, thanks a lot." Why would a record company do anything cool anymore when collectors are just gonna fuss at them when they don't get one? Folks, just listen to your records and enjoy the sound that they make. A lot of this has nothing to do with this thread, but I won't be posting anymore so I figured I'd get it in here. No hard feeling, friends.

This album is phenomenal.  That's insane to try and talk down the prices from Kranky for 3 albums though.  I don't think they were being rude at all.  $16 shipped for an LP is more than generous, especially from a smaller operation.  I've always felt Kranky has some of the best prices around.  Anyways, I really dig this album.  

That's insane to try and talk down the prices from Kranky for 3 albums though.  I don't think they were being rude at all.  $16 shipped for an LP is more than generous, especially from a smaller operation.  I've always felt Kranky has some of the best prices around.

I wasn't arguing about their prices; I think they're more than fair.  But whether the LPs ship for $16 PPD or $8 PPD, it doesn't cost more than $4-5 to ship a group of albums.  And if I can save $7 or $8 on shipping, I'm going to request it.  Especially since - with a label like Kranky, and their dirt cheap prices that you're praising - that's half the cost of an additional LP.  And at the risk of repeating myself, I still emphasize that labels like Topshelf and Deathwish (who also offer extremely well priced LPs) auto-bundle the shipping costs as well.  As do 99% of every distro and webstore out there.

Just got my copy from Kranky.  Does anyone have experience getting replacement jackets from them?  Judging by the damage to the mailer, this thing was thrown at a cement wall with extreme force.  It really bums me out too because they did an outstanding job packing the record.

Thankfully, the records aren't damaged.

tqYNj0sl.jpg

crUQkNKl.jpg

72xUbEbl.jpg

9fY1Qcxl.jpg

Xlr8U68l.jpg