PO: Death from Above 1979 - The Physical World (9/9)

I hate reading people's commentssaying that this song sucks, it's just a single. Are artists not supposed to progress? It's their first new material in ten years, enjoy it. I personally didn't want to hear "You're a Woman , I'm a Machine" again.

Yeah, what kind of bullshit is that?  People posting comments and opinions and all that jazz... what is this, anyway?  Some kind of message board?  Wait.  Shit.

I don't want another duplicate of YAWIAM, either.  I'm all for artist progression, but I'd love to hear this band progress somewhere good.  And not into the spit-shined, generic radio-rock territory.  Change and progression for an artist doesn't have to be a giant step backwards.  I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, like you said, and assume that this single was written for the sake of being a single... and that the rest of the record will have [a lot] more punch.  That's what I'm really, really hoping for.

Either way, it's not like you can entirely fault the band even if the new record completely blows.  They stated in interviews that the legacy of DFA1979 has dwarfed them in its shadow for the last 10 years.  They can't work on new, unrelated material without having people clamor for a new DFA album.  So the new album is their response to all that demand.  If it totally flops, they have every right to shrug and be like "Well, this is what you guys kept hounding us for.  You asked for it."  I can really respect that.  A lot more than if they released this new album 2-3 years after YAWIAM in an attempt to fatten their wallets or gain publicity.

^That's no excuse to phone it in, nobody forced them to do anything. If getting kudos and inquiries about DFA is the worst part of their musical careers I'd say they have it pretty easy. Plus it's been a decade, people change drastically over that amount of time so it's not crazy to think this would be very different in a lot of ways.

Personally I really like the single and I'm excited to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. I don't know why people let other user's musical preferences offend them so much here.

If getting kudos and inquiries about DFA is the worst part of their musical careers I'd say they have it pretty easy. 

This. And Jesse has been doing MSTRKRFT to a pretty great response, with his second album charting at 14 on the US Dance charts, and shiiiit tons of remixes. Sebastien owns a recording studio shared with one of the guys from Metric and has a band. I would very much say that DFA has probably helped their career rather than being a shadow over them. Yeah people haven't gotten over DFA1979, but its in no way hindered them from releasing new material and finding further success.  Also, does no one remember that their first album had three singles off it? everyone's acting like its something new with having mainstream appeal from this band and oh some big company is going to ruin this song yadda yadda, which I don't get because ten years ago they were all over the fucking place. Some of their songs from their first album were used in *gasp* mainstream media and commercials!!! 

I'm excited to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. I don't know why people let other user's musical preferences offend them so much here.

Same.  Should be an interesting record for better or worse.  Also agreed on the questionable influence of musical preferences.  Everyone should feel how they want to feel about the song.  Obviously it's a waste of time if you get zero enjoyment from the track (or album), and visit the thread just to talk shit and rain on everyone's parade.  But I don't think that's what's happening.  My last response was (basically) posted because some dude seemed upset that people were sharing their opinion of 1 single.  Which is a little silly to me.

Some of their songs from their first album were used in *gasp* mainstream media and commercials!!! 

I don't think anyone is scoffing at the idea of DFA being used in mainstream media.  Outside of a few of their songs in videogame soundtracks, I'm not 100% sure where else their work has popped up in the media... but even so, those "commercialized" songs were bad-ass.  A band can totally write an awesome song and have it featured in the media.  I'm not arguing that that's possible.  QOTSA just recently had You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar, But I Feel Like A Millionaire featured on a T-Mobile ad.  Etc., etc.

By 'shitty car/shampoo/mobile phone company' I wasnt implying that I was opposed to that happening, because I think DFA deserve everything that comes their way. I was just saying that it seems like one of those hook-y songs that get swooped up quick and put on tv.

The companies are more than likely shitty still, though

Human Giant is what I was going to say too! that totally adds to the long list of reasons to watch that show :) They had a song in the Ghost Rider movie sequel, on a Motorola commercial, in the credits for a Canadian talk show called The Hour, in CSI, a couple of those being remixes though. Video games definitely seemed to be the biggest thing for sure. 

The new song is a little meh but I saw East York and Tricky Woo buttons in the video, so that's something. I will reserve full judgement when I hear another song or two. I think someone said earlier that it was missing the sex and swagger of their early stuff and I totally agree.

Side note, I met Jesse Keeler in a dive bar in Toronto in early 2006 just before I moved to the here.

The new song is a little meh but I saw East York and Tricky Woo buttons in the video, so that's something. I will reserve full judgement when I hear another song or two. I think someone said earlier that it was missing the sex and swagger of their early stuff and I totally agree.

Side note, I met Jesse Keeler in a dive bar in Toronto in early 2006 just before I moved to the here.

what bar?

Really? $24 for a record and $30 for a show is too expensive?

Completely depends. Double 180 gram, colored LP, spot-gloss gatefold jacket with full color inserts and digital download + arena performance with adequate seating? Pretty solid deal.

Single black LP in a flimsy jacket + ticket for a bar / club show? No thanks.

Completely depends. Double 180 gram, colored LP, spot-gloss gatefold jacket with full color inserts and digital download + arena performance with adequate seating? Pretty solid deal.

Single black LP in a flimsy jacket + ticket for a bar / club show? No thanks.

The times they are a changin'

Really? $24 for a record and $30 for a show is too expensive? 

Paying $30 to hang out with a bunch of drunk assholes and watch 2014 DFA79 play is not something I'm particularly interested in. Same way I've felt about all the other reunion shows this year; I can enjoy the album as its own entity without the need to watch the band play those songs 10 years after the fact. 

And yes, $24 is too expensive for a single LP that's going to have a huge pressing run.