Video game OSTs

I don't care that much, but enjoying this discussion. This was pulled from a Beatles bootleg forum from back in the usenet days - posted by a copyright lawyer.

U.S. federal law states that it is illegal to buy, sell, manufacture, play, broadcast, transmit or trade bootleg or counterfeit recordings (the citation is in 17 CFR, Vol. 17 of "Codes Of Federal Regulations") Possession of bootleg or counterfeit recordings is considered by the courts to be intent to commit all or part of the above. Thus, although ownership per se is not mentioned, ownership for all but strictly regulated purposes is forbidden by law.

Legal sources state that the generational distance of the bootlegged or counterfeit music from the original source in no way alters its illegal status.

It's not, at the moment, considered cost-effective to pursue the bootleg consumer; rather the focus is, as it has been, on the seller and distributor. Some legal experts believe that possession is almost impossible to enforce. You may own the bootleg, it appears, if you are ready to prove that you have no intention of ever listening to it. Otherwise possession is tantamount to intent to listen, play, broadcast, etc. And that's illegal. 

Well I be damned! *spits on the floor* Aint that some shit

Naw but honestly, forum shmorum. I'll believe it when direct links to sources are cited.

Sincerely Yours

Ex-Journalist-SkepticAF-SwapMeet/FleaMarket-Bootleg-Enjoyer

There is a Space Channel 5 vinyl? I'd get that just for sentimentality towards SEGA. 

Is that the sort of cash that FF7 picture disc sells for? Glad I bought it, wouldn't sell it.

That's a ridiculous price! Sort of wish I'd bought it, but then I do still wonder how good it would really sound, especially considering the soundtrack is more or less programmed rather than full orchestral work. If it was the piano collection then I would definitely have jumped on it at the time...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SUPER-RARE-Legend-of-Zelda-Soundtrack-Vinyl-LP-Numbered-x-500-koji-kondo-/261786174913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf3ac05c1

Oh man check out this asshole, I have no doubt that he's on the mailing list as well and will continue to do this.