Video game OSTs

If the Mother soundtrack is really bugging you Sean you should just ignore it, so what if they are supporting the official release, the musicians went with Sony for the CD so they had to go with them for the vinyl.

Everyone who gets your email loves video game music. Maybe people want the arrangement soundtrack as well as the ripped NES audio, what's the problem? Have the original musicians received money from your rips?

Sorry if it has already been answered....but, what where the Mega Man and Zelda soundtracks sourced from?

directly ripped from nsf files and directly mastered into uncompressed 24bit wav files. 

Being that game music is a essentially a digital format, it may seem retarded to call out things for "audio quality" but I think if youre gonna make something for vinyl, you might as well make it as high quality as is physically possible and not just rip stuff from already sourced media with an already defined bit rate. 

Also the "original" Mother track on the cd has a bunch of weird post processing on it and an echo filter. So its not the same as ripping it from the game itself. Just saying.

This has nothing to do with making sure the creators get their money, that is not how music works, that is not how the law works, that is not how the world works. Maybe it should be how it works, but for decades past, and decades into the foreseeable future, it isn't.

This has everything to do with the content owners being paid for their property. Nintendo not owning these particular recordings probably made it much easier for a license to be obtained. The content owners have the right to allow who they choose, to use their content how they choose. It is completely irrelevant if they obtained ownership of that content by creating it or by signing a contract.

It's totally super cool and punk-rock to say "it's for the people! We can create what we want with this. I can sell it as I please. The money should be going to the guy who wrote these songs"

But that is not the way things work. The Easter bunny isn't real either, sorry.

Just because the music isn't owned by who you wish owned it doesn't give you the right to bootleg it, nor does it give you a reason to discredit the work done by others to the fullest extent of the law.

If you're this salty about an official, properly licensed release, simply because it competes with your illegal product, maybe you should just make a margarita with it, and reconsider things. Chill.

If the Mother soundtrack is really bugging you Sean you should just ignore it, so what if they are supporting the official release, the musicians went with Sony for the CD so they had to go with them for the vinyl.

Everyone who gets your email loves video game music. Maybe people want the arrangement soundtrack as well as the ripped NES audio, what's the problem? Have the original musicians received money from your rips?

Ok, um, so thats a weird thing to say, seeing as I could say the EXACT SAME THING to you.

First of all, I was not against this release AT ALL (at least I wasnt 3 months ago when it was deceptively announced as the soundtrack to Earthbound Zero and not the 1989 arranged cd)

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamemusic/comments/2mievx/we_are_releasing_mother_earthbound_zero_ost/

I LOVE the idea of people making game soundtracks on vinyl, official or unofficial, and like Ive said before, if I wanted to do this for money, I couldve ripped some shitty quality mp3s online and slapped some random official artwork from the game off google images and cranked out a ton of releases and people still wouldve bought them cause this is music people want on vinyl regardless. But I genuinely care about what Im doing and whether they've been official or not, Ive made them with nothing but care and respect for the people buying them as I wanted to make something that I would personally want, even if I wasnt the person doing it. People that get up in arms about not getting licensing, have NO IDEA what the process involved is like and now that I know, I can tell you that it isnt some point A to point B process like regular soundtrack licensing is.

Also this company attacked ME. Personally and aggressively. They stole emails from my mailing list. They threatened to sue me over a single 1 minute track that they didnt even own, probably purely cause they thought that, somehow, it would cut into their bottom line. And the funny thing is, even if it was just some arranged cd vinyl album I wasnt personally into, I wouldve done whatever I could to help them with their release, because I think game music on vinyl, is only a positive thing. Also, after they spammed my list, I also had 3 separate people offer to hack their website and facebook but I emphatically told them not to do that because, I am NOT trying to battle these people. I just want to be left alone. I am just trying to do put something into the world, that people can legitimately enjoy, at great personal cost to myself because its something I believe in. Thats all.

Oh, and yes 3 composers have received payments and the only reason its not more is because finding contact info for some of these people is extremely difficult, but I will continue to do so with every release, even the licensed ones, as again, they get NO MONEY from a license.

Ive also already had people donate over $400 to the charity childsplay for just test pressings (which I couldve easily sold for profit for the same amount or more). And will hopefully raise over 10 times that with the actual records. So if you think you have some moral high ground on this, fine. But dont talk to me like Im some selfish asshole just trying to get a quick buck.

This has nothing to do with making sure the creators get their money, that is not how music works, that is not how the law works, that is not how the world works. Maybe it should be how it works, but for decades past, and decades into the foreseeable future, it isn't.

This has everything to do with the content owners being paid for their property. Nintendo not owning these particular recordings probably made it much easier for a license to be obtained. The content owners have the right to allow who they choose, to use their content how they choose. It is completely irrelevant if they obtained ownership of that content by creating it or by signing a contract.

It's totally super cool and punk-rock to say "it's for the people! We can create what we want with this. I can sell it as I please. The money should be going to the guy who wrote these songs"

But that is not the way things work. The Easter bunny isn't real either, sorry.

Just because the music isn't owned by who you wish owned it doesn't give you the right to bootleg it, nor does it give you a reason to discredit the work done by others to the fullest extent of the law.

If you're this salty about an official, properly licensed release, simply because it competes with your illegal product, maybe you should just make a margarita with it, and reconsider things. Chill.

Not once did I ever think this competed with anything I do. You are literally the only person that thinks that.

And why you are trying to battle me so intensely is mindboggling to me.

Not once did I ever think this competed with anything I do. You are literally the only person that thinks that.

And why you are trying to battle me so intensely is mindboggling to me.

Man. Don't get me wrong, as a fan myself I love what is being done here, more than most people here probably realize. I just don't agree with some of your business practices. I have no ill-will towards you, but I can't sit back and pretend something isn't fucked up when it is. I just want to see things being done better. I think the fact that some of us can get so heated over these soundtracks shows how passionate we can get about them and how deep of a gap there is in a market where they aren't available.

It's nothing personal. I've bought bootlegs in the past, but this is not something I'm willing to support any longer - from anyone. As somebody who knows firsthand how difficult it can be to secure licenses for some titles, it just strikes me as wrong to have the hubris to disregard the need for one.

I may point out from time to time when I think something sucks. I think it's shitty that it's so difficult that there is no legal way to make these real. But I also think it's shitty that you are doing it regardless of the legality. Maybe a little part of me wishes I could do things with a similar disregard, but also maybe a big part of me doesn't want to get a summons/likes my asshole being as tight as it currently is.

Like I said, nothing personal. I'll give credit where it's due. As a fan, you are putting a lot of effort into these, and they are probably better than what most others would be capable of - you know your shit with the audio. I would have done these almost the same exact way as you are if I were in charge of these.

When the titles which you have officially licensed come to market (and I hope they come to a larger market than just a secret email list, or all that licensing will have been for naught), you can be sure that I'll be 100% behind someone who does them right. As for whatever records have been made in the past... I've already shared my opinion on those. There's nothing left to say there, I'll refrain from commenting on the matter further. I'm not okay with it, nobody cares, and that's fine. I only hope that it's seen as constructive criticism.