Video game OSTs

CHRIS SCHLARB

DROPSY

Greetings! We would like to direct your attention to our friend, Chris Schlarb. We have been friends with Chris for longer than we've been a label. In fact, our founder Karl used to submit his bands' music to Chris's label for release consideration (the now-semi-defunct Sounds Are Active). Over the years Chris has grown from proprietor of an under-appreciated label to a well-respected composer (and aspiring cult leader), releasing albums with Sufjan Stevens' label, Asthmatic Kitty. 

So, elephant in the room: this is a video game soundtrack. Which is kind of weird for us. We never thought we'd be releasing the soundtrack to a video game, but Chris's musical contribution to Dropsy stands well enough on its own, and fits right in with our penchant for obscure, surreal, and para-psychically transportative experiences. In short: this album is not your average video game soundtrack. This is an incredible album of micro-jazz compositions; 28 songs in total, each averaging 1 minute and 41 seconds per song. Check out Chris's entire description of the album below. 

Now let's talk about the game. This is an old-school "point-and-click adventure game" about a clown with no hands. And the object of the game is to hug people. That's pretty fucked up. According to the game designers, players are encouraged to "impart love to a surreal, grotesque world as a misunderstood but cheerful clown."

Chris Schlarb's "Dropsy" is limited to a one-time pressing of 500 hand-numbered copies on yellow-inside-transparent orange vinyl. This album will never be pressed again within the foreseeable constraints of time and space... So order now. 

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/products/dropsy?mc_cid=ad4d6a5043&mc_eid=9603c74000

JNR179_VINYL_grande.jpg?v=1435774094

175 of these left. Fuck, I've never even heard of the game until now but I'm tempted because it's cheap as hell and everything I can find on the game itself is awesome.

I wish I could hear more of the soundtrack before ordering other than that one song on soundcloud and the snippets in the making of video.