Video game OSTs

This looks like it could be a good resource:

http://vgmdb.net/db/main.php

VGMdb.net is an excellent resource, containing gigabytes of information about video game music. It documents the relationships between games, albums that represent games, and all the people that contributed to an album.

stl_ben

, you've got great info. You truly do. But goddam man, this is the 2nd time you've outed a "label" on bootlegs against the labels wishes. 

Then go ahead and kick stl_ben in the nuts, it's his blog...

It's sweet that you guys are trying to keep this on the DL while daily vinyl source has announced the next release like it's a wide open preorder (which may be the case? I dunno, I'm not not the list).

Fuck. I say he should be kicked off the mailing list.

stl_ben plays by his own rules

My un-asked for thoughts:

Very excited for several of these even if they are boot legs.

Sound quality was good for Zelda.  Would have preferredsome longer tracks instead of so many short tracks.

Please use better mailers next time! My sleeve was pretty damaged, but I was just happy to get one.

Posting info on these releases all over the place, but then complaining that others posted the info other places.....seems non-productive.

Of course I think pretty much the same thing about selling bootlegs and getting upset with someone flipping it....

I think if the guy making them posted all the info here....its ok for us to follow up by talking about them............

I think if the guy making them sends an email with instructions not to talk about them, they shouldn't be talked about..................................

:ph34r: 

I highly doubt taking someone off of a mailing list that KNOWS about said mailing list will have a problem getting the info from someone else. From the boards or otherwise.

Very true, but still reinforces the principle that seems to be lost on some.

Personally I'm most looking forward to Metroid/Super Metroid, and Chrono Trigger, so I'd like to see those actually happen before it turns into a shitshow.

Kick him off or don't sure it'll make little difference in terms of being able to get the info, but even annefrankzappa said that one guys who was flipping was banned from any future purchases.  Maybe flippers aren't the only ones who should be sent out of queue in favour of someone else.

anyone ever seen these before? (didn't appear to have been in the topic prior)

They appear to be DJ Breaks - but it's basically a TON of classic video game tracks.

I snagged Vol.'s 1&2 off of discogs from the same seller for $30 shipped in NM condition.

Video Game Breaks And Sound Effects Volume 1 ‎(LP, Unofficial)

Video Game Breaks And Sound Effects Volume 2 ‎(LP, Unofficial)

Video Game Breaks And Sound Effects Volume 3 ‎(LP, Unofficial)

anyone ever seen these before? (didn't appear to have been in the topic prior)

They appear to be DJ Breaks - but it's basically a TON of classic video game tracks.

I snagged Vol.'s 1&2 off of discogs from the same seller for $30 shipped in NM condition.

I have Vol. 1......if you are a DJ they are nice sound effects to have.  Not really a record you can just put on the turntable and listen to the whole thing.

I have volume 1, it's definitely.. Interesting. I bought it when I was 10 or 11, a local shop stocked them at the time. I thought it was cool that it existed and I could hear nintendo sounds come out of a record player, but nowadays I would not have purchased it knowing that it is unlicensed.

It's really less music than it is snippets and soundeffects. There's some extended Mario remix you can b-boy to if you really wanted.

I have Vol. 1......if you are a DJ they are nice sound effects to have.  Not really a record you can just put on the turntable and listen to the whole thing.

Aren't MOST of these game OST's in the same boat? I mean - there's very few video game OST's that are designed to be listened to as an album front to back. your point is moot to me.

I have volume 1, it's definitely.. Interesting. I bought it when I was 10 or 11, a local shop stocked them at the time. I thought it was cool that it existed and I could hear nintendo sounds come out of a record player, but nowadays I would not have purchased it knowing that it is unlicensed.

It's really less music than it is snippets and soundeffects. There's some extended Mario remix you can b-boy to if you really wanted.

From what I can tell, entire themes are present, not just a snippet of one.

Yeah - it's unofficial, but steer me to where the official ones are and we'll chat.

The unofficial/bootleg/etc issue really didn't seem to be a problem when those Super Mario 7" boots were being eaten up late last year.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/107039-super-mario-bros-video-game-7-soundtrack/?hl=%2Bsuper+%2Bmario

Aren't MOST of these game OST's in the same boat? I mean - there's very few video game OST's that are designed to be listened to as an album front to back. your point is moot to me.

From what I can tell, entire themes are present, not just a snippet of one.

Yeah - it's unofficial, but steer me to where the official ones are and we'll chat.

The unofficial/bootleg/etc issue really didn't seem to be a problem when those Super Mario 7" boots were being eaten up late last year.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/107039-super-mario-bros-video-game-7-soundtrack/?hl=%2Bsuper+%2Bmario

Stl_ben's description of the audio in that 12" is accurate. It's not really presented as music, even though it contains music, if that makes any sense. Not to say that you couldn't listen to it straight up but thats just not what it's designed for. Also, the mario 7" was a problem IMO, and I was not at all shy about making my feelings known on that. That's even worse than these IMO, as that is blatantly copying old nintendo product. Legalities aside, at least our lord and savior of video game records is producing something somewhat creative. I'll grive credit where it's due. But this is still very wrong IMO.

Casually chiming in after being called a douchebag by like 10 ppl in a row. Classy.

No it is just sound effects, like just a few seconds long each. Not like the Mario 7" which was the music from an entire level.

This fucking asshole has the gall to come back here after leaking info, not even at least taking the post down.

Get out.

Is the hate for stl_ben new or has he done multiple things in the past to be deserving of the shunning?

I think there have been some minor past incidents, but nothing major, really.  

The info leaking thing is just way out of line, and I can see why people are pissed.  At least remove the blog post, amirite?  I interpreted his reasoning to be that it's fine to do so, because they are 'bootlegs.'  At least annefrankzappa is making a quality product and trying to do it as legit as possible by seeking licences and sending creators payments for their work.

To try to answer your question, I guess you could say it's 'the straw that broke the camel's back,' but I mean it's a huge straw. Like if you had a single piece of straw that somehow weighed a metric ton and dropped it on a baby camel.  Then he acts like he didn't just murder a baby camel.