Metallica Repress under Blackened Recordings

Apparently MOP is not great......1Lp......I personally havnt heard it......Im thinking ill Probably grab TBA and maybe AJFA depending on how they turn out.....I have too many Metallica Records at this stage to want to collect the whole Blackened Catalogue.......Would have been nice to see a Bundle of the Lot for a Good/Cheaper Price

• 2 years later...

So I'm pretty close to completing my Metallica vinyl collection with OG's, or should I say, vintage, not the recent represses, of all the main studio albums. I still need Reload and the Black album. Looking at all the version of the Black album is daunting and some of them are more than I'd care to spend. Does anyone have any experience with the 2008 Warner repress?

1 hour ago, negavinyl said:

So I'm pretty close to completing my Metallica vinyl collection with OG's, or should I say, vintage, not the recent represses, of all the main studio albums. I still need Reload and the Black album. Looking at all the version of the Black album is daunting and some of them are more than I'd care to spend. Does anyone have any experience with the 2008 Warner repress?

I had heard that Black album was actually better in the more recent 45rpm pressings than the OGs. Not sure exactly where I heard that, but it seems to be stuck in my head.

The Warner Black album 2Lp Pressing is great.......if you want to invest in the 4Lp its good as well....but i think the 2Lp is just as good.......they are about the only presses out of that whole Repress series that i would highly recommend 

As for Older pressings........its almost always said that the Simply Vinyl Pressing of the Black Album is one of the best sounding Metallica Albums available.....i can vouch for it......the only issue is finding one in great condition at a good price.....i think i paid $70ish....maybe more about 2 years ago 

21 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

The most recent Blackened press of TBA is really nice too actually. Pretty sure it's the only one that came out well in that bunch of releases.

Reviews on that Blackened repress on discogs vary greatly. Lots of people happy and some others saying they had skips right out of the gate. Maybe it was just the first run? 

1 hour ago, vinyl addict said:

Yeah, maybe it's just user error (which seems quite common these days). The sonics on the new TBA are very good and recommended.

I have an original press and it's pretty comparable.

Damn,  strong endorsement there. Tough decision on that one then, could easily get the repress locally. Discogs isn't too bad on the 2008 pressing. 

8 minutes ago, negavinyl said:

Damn,  strong endorsement there. Tough decision on that one then, could easily get the repress locally. Discogs isn't too bad on the 2008 pressing. 

I have this one

https://www.discogs.com/Metallica-Metallica/release/6133023

And this one

https://www.discogs.com/Metallica-Metallica/release/389765

They both sound fantastic. I may actually prefer the Simply Vinyl copy (second link). It's got a little more in the upper range. SV usually isn't known for great sound but this one and Manson - PoaAF sound superb.

I had the new Blackened mastering, but quickly sold it after it didn't offer any improvements over the others.

3 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

I have this one

https://www.discogs.com/Metallica-Metallica/release/6133023

And this one

https://www.discogs.com/Metallica-Metallica/release/389765

They both sound fantastic. I may actually prefer the Simply Vinyl copy (second link). It's got a little more in the upper range. SV usually isn't known for great sound but this one and Manson - PoaAF sound superb.

I had the new Blackened mastering, but quickly sold it after it didn't offer any improvements over the others.

I actually bought the Simply Vinyl version from Welfare records last year. Went back two weeks later and there was another copy. I wonder how many they have. I forget how much I paid for it - I wanna say $50 but I also feel like I wouldn't pay that much for it so idk. 

1 minute ago, pizza face said:

I actually bought the Simply Vinyl version from Welfare records last year. Went back two weeks later and there was another copy. I wonder how many they have. I forget how much I paid for it - I wanna say $50 but I also feel like I wouldn't pay that much for it so idk. 

Yeah I bought mine there about 2 years ago also. Sounds great, right? Think I paid $35, but they always let me bundle stuff and give me a deal. They had about 8 of them when I bought mine. They were all in the back room, and he let me go through and pick the "best" one (all pretty much in the same condition).  The guy they bought those from had a huge 90s collection and he had everything in Disckeeper sleeves etc. Lots of great condition rarities.  I bought A LOT of that guys collection. (NIN, MM, AIC, RATM, Mad Season etc etc)

Side note: do want that POAAF SV. I have the hot topic version.

Well if the Blackened pressing is really that good maybe that's the easiest play. 

Anyone else want to weigh in on Warner Bros 08 vs Blackened repress on TBA? 

I think Blackened was the one I was actually thinking of too if that helps

Anyone else want to weigh in on Warner Bros 08 vs Blackened repress on TBA? 

As others have already stated, the WB and Blackened use the same CB cut, manufactured by furnace. I have the WB and, while no, it's not the best sounding record I own, I use to show off my system because it sounds really good and it's popular, so people can recognize that it sounds really great.

I've never heard the SV version, but you can't go wrong with the CB cut. I would say just get it, if you feel the need to try the SV version , you can later.

Blackened Presses are apparently appearing with a defect on the D side i believe....(not just a clean fix.....error with the plates causing a skip in exactly the same spot for different people).......heaps of people on a couple of Facebook groups i follow have had issues with the TBA blackened press......i fact im following one thread as we speak about the issue

Go the Warner 2Lp press.....cant be beat for price and its easy to come by 

Edited by piky0032

The 45 RPM is a pain since you have to flip records every two songs, but I can confirm it sounds like a truckload of dinosaurs coming at ya. (That's a good thing.)
I bought most of the 45 RPMs dirt cheap and sold them all later when the prices skyrocketed and I realized SQ was garbage... except for TBA. I have Elektra originals of RTL, MOP, and AJFA now. (FYI, the OP Elektra of AJFA is probably the best that album will ever sound... Definitely worth the money if you find one in good shape.)