Reissues or Original Pressing

Reissues vs Original Pressings  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer collecting Reissues or original pressings?

• Original
    • Reissue

I guess I'd rather have the one that sounds the best as long as it isn't out of press and "collectable" (i.e. expensive) I have a few records that are worth a bit of money but I didn't pay over the odds for them originally and don't think I ever will.

If all things were equal (cost, sound quality etc) then I think I would probably go for the OG press, unless there was a a version where the records really matched the cover art well in which case I may go for that one.

I don't really care about SQ. If I wanted that I'd just download FLAC honestly. For me it's more about collecting and interacting with the media.

When I talk about sq I mean I would avoid a pressing that is renowned for having surface noise or some other defect, or if a remaster had occurred that was generally considered to be superior I would go for that. For instance I am tempted by the new MOV pressing of Mr Bungle, the older ones are known to be pretty poor so I would give them a miss.

Third option for me: first available.

me too, I would never buy a press if I new it had horrible sound quality, but most of the time for me it would be like a 50-100$ compared to a 15-20 dollar record. Very early on I only got reissues but that stopped after 2/5 of them had issues. So I'm not really sure how to answer this. 

Unless a particular pressing it's notoriously bad-sounding, I'll buy whatever's cheapest. I'm not that much of an audiophile that I need to have the very best-sounding pressing I can possibly find. Really, I love represses when it means I can get an album for $20 rather than $60+++

Even if an original pressing is widely considering better-sounding than a repress, if the price gap is there I'll still opt for a slightly 'inferior' repressing and probably never notice/care. 

Might sound silly, but I love having an OG classic like Milo Goes To College or London Calling or Double Nickels and while I'm listening, thinking that someone played this exact record 30 years ago or whatever and possibly had their mind blown.

That's the best with originals. Just to think your copy might have been with the band on tour or where it could've came from

Original.

What records are you guys buying where the original does not have good sound quality?

There is only one that I can think of off the top of my head that I have heard people complain about and that is Texas Is The Reason's LP. And frankly, I own a first press and it sounds fine to me.

On the flip side, I can think of several recent reissues where sound quality has been an issue.