Six "Sided" Record from Dr. Dog's Dimitri Manos

So this is for ART, and not the music is what I'm getting from you.

Truthfully, I watched your video and Ii clearly states that anyone who purchases one of these should have at least a 1 inch clearance. My turntable doesn't have that. So why the hell would I buy this if I can't even play it? Plus from the video, the audio just sounds like noises.

Those two things are why I am not buying it. Yeah the concept is neat but the execution is flawed. It's not practical, it's a gimmick.

I think you don't realize that he's saying exactly this ;)

No reason to get so aggro there, Farts. This record's existence is not an affront to you on a personal level. It's an art project, but is very practical within it's own purpose, which you may or may not find practical to your own life... To misquote Ian Svenonius "Art ain't for everyone".

It is a neat idea, but the execution is not flawed. It is the way it is for several reasons.

1. It requires extra clearance because of the nature of the off-set holes. Without the extra clearance, the pattern of holes wouldn't work, and as you can see in the photo, the grooves narrowly miss the holes at every point. Technically, you really only need 1/2 inch (or less) on most turntables. Each record is a little but different and I was just being a little on the safe side in the video. They play fine on every dj turntable I own. Why the hell would you buy this? I don't know... Apparently you aren't going to... but thats ok, Farts... I won't take it personally.

2. Due to the overlapping grooves, some of the rings make a weird chirping sound. That sound might get kind of annoying if it happened twice every 1.8 seconds in an actual song. So, Dimitri wrote a sound collage composition with the chirp in mind and uses it as a beat.

3. Due to the handmade nature of the drilled holes, and the fact that the holes keep getting in the way of the groove, each ring is going to fit music of variable lengths, and not more than a couple minutes per. Therefore, the music had to be suitable for being cut up anywhere and into any length.

4. The music IS just sounds. Cut and pasted sounds. There is a huge culture out there dedicated to noise, avant garde music and experimentalism. Some is great, some is downright awful and most falls somewhere in the middle. And two different people with different tastes will have completely opposite opinions about all of it. And that is ok.

All in all, most people buy records for the artistry of vinyl. Sure, the fidelity can be better than digital (if you have a really incredible playback system and a superhuman ear), but there are a lot of more important (to me) reasons behind making/buying vinyl. The fact that it's a physical format, the artwork, the tangible interaction it requires, the way your collection describes your personality, etc.

The things I make are an extension of myself. And not everyone "gets" me or understands why I do what I do. My normie coworkers didn't, my parents don't, and apparently you don't. It's ok. I still get along with my coworkers and my parents, and hopefully you, Farts. I don't understand why people like football, futball, or Miley Cyrus. But, what will be, will be, and what does it have to do with me? Shooby doobie doobie, weeeee!

Plus, to quote Bob Dobbs "Fuck em if they can't take a joke..."

No reason to get so aggro there, Farts. This record's existence is not an affront to you on a personal level. It's an art project, but is very practical within it's own purpose, which you may or may not find practical to your own life... To misquote Ian Svenonius "Art ain't for everyone".

It is a neat idea, but the execution is not flawed. It is the way it is for several reasons.

1. It requires extra clearance because of the nature of the off-set holes. Without the extra clearance, the pattern of holes wouldn't work, and as you can see in the photo, the grooves narrowly miss the holes at every point. Technically, you really only need 1/2 inch (or less) on most turntables. Each record is a little but different and I was just being a little on the safe side in the video. They play fine on every dj turntable I own. Why the hell would you buy this? I don't know... Apparently you aren't going to... but thats ok, Farts... I won't take it personally.

2. Due to the overlapping grooves, some of the rings make a weird chirping sound. That sound might get kind of annoying if it happened twice every 1.8 seconds in an actual song. So, Dimitri wrote a sound collage composition with the chirp in mind and uses it as a beat.

3. Due to the handmade nature of the drilled holes, and the fact that the holes keep getting in the way of the groove, each ring is going to fit music of variable lengths, and not more than a couple minutes per. Therefore, the music had to be suitable for being cut up anywhere and into any length.

4. The music IS just sounds. Cut and pasted sounds. There is a huge culture out there dedicated to noise, avant garde music and experimentalism. Some is great, some is downright awful and most falls somewhere in the middle. And two different people with different tastes will have completely opposite opinions about all of it. And that is ok.

All in all, most people buy records for the artistry of vinyl. Sure, the fidelity can be better than digital (if you have a really incredible playback system and a superhuman ear), but there are a lot of more important (to me) reasons behind making/buying vinyl. The fact that it's a physical format, the artwork, the tangible interaction it requires, the way your collection describes your personality, etc.

The things I make are an extension of myself. And not everyone "gets" me or understands why I do what I do. My normie coworkers didn't, my parents don't, and apparently you don't. It's ok. I still get along with my coworkers and my parents, and hopefully you, Farts. I don't understand why people like football, futball, or Miley Cyrus. But, what will be, will be, and what does it have to do with me? Shooby doobie doobie, weeeee!

You, nor anyone, should ever have to explain themselves to an individual named Farts.

For every dumbo post in this thread, there are multiple people who got the concept and just didn't leave a post to represent their effective reading comprehension and critical thinking skills. Don't mistake the dodos for any kind of majority that needs to take up your energy.

Rock on and please post those Dr Dog b-sides/side projects.

Hey now. Settle your jimmies! I apologize if I came off as aggressive, as that was not the intent.

I speak speaking for others (and also as myself) when it comes to the practicality of it in terms of peoples setups and the legitimate playability.

I don't think what you're doing is stupid because it's awesome, but there are serious drawbacks. This isn't something that I can look at. It's not something I can play. It would be sandwiched between other records due to that. Maybe if you switched to a 9 inch, and cut out the overlap it would possibly be worthwhile for the average person.

We can agree to disagree. You said that MOST people buy vinyl for the artistry and I'm not sure what you mean by that (colors?) IF that's what you mean - you could be right.

Sure, the Sculpture picture discs were "art" but everyone who bought it could play it and find a means to make the animations stand out. Those are practical and I have one!

So keep doing your thing. I was just stating my reasons and hopefully you can take some of the feedback and incorporate it into some of your other works.

So essentially you'll release anyone's music who is able to copy/paste and has a recording program on their computer? Okay.

I accidentally upvoted you but I meant to downvote you for making such a dumb comment.

smgdh at anyone who talks shit about PIAPTK. One of the coolest labels in the game, they put out lots of great music but they're not afraid to play around with the format. Every release is a work of art.

So keep doing your thing. I was just stating my reasons and hopefully you can take some of the feedback and incorporate it into some of your other works.

Well, of the 133 releases I've put out since 2006, 132 of them DON'T have these drawbacks, so it's safe to say that some of my other works in the future will not have them either.

You can check out all 132 of my "not freaky" records at PIAPTK.com. Pressed records in handmade sleeves, handmade/stained/silkscreened wooden boxsets, see-through picture discs, X-Ray flexis, Hand bound books, etc etc. Almost all of them incorporate some sort of handmade art, and the vast majority are "practical players". And like I said, even these 6 siders play fine on every turntable I own (6 of them). If you've got some sort of weird turntable that has no clearance outside the platter, then, bummer. What model is it? When I google image "Turntable", there isn't a single one on the first page that looks like has too little clearance. https://www.google.com/search?q=turntable&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gC_ZU6P9HpGDjAKGpoGYCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg

But for the present and the near future, I feel like getting freaky. So, you can expect even more weird "borderline practical" art pieces with music that people may or may not like in the very near future. 

All this is typed with love and a smile on my face.  :) I love what I do, regardless of what anyone else thinks, but I appreciate the feedback from those that don't love it or understand it. It helps me to streamline my art and message so that it has the smallest chance of being misunderstood... but, even a message that is properly relayed is not always warmly received.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...