Framing Vinyl Records: Why isn't it safe?

I fail to see how this is awkward. It wasn't really a compliment, more like an hypothesis.

Is that better? Or, rather, more awkward?

Idk, just because my appearance was brought up on here when it's a thread about framing vinyl records...? o.O. And, it's awkward for me now to know that it wasn't really a compliment, lol. Yes, let's just move on please.......

(P.s. How does one "lock" a thread on here anyway?)

most people don't break in and look for records.

I would venture to say that only scumbags who know you would break in and steal something like that. In high school some kids who knew me broke in to my house and all they stole was: a few hundred CDs, some DVDs, and liquor. Didn't touch anything of actual value in the house.

I said earlier it was dangerous to have the whole LP (with vinyl) framed because of theft. I said this because there was a female user here (name escapes me) that thought she had her framed Deja Entandu stolen then found out her kids wanted to fix the broken glass. So that's one scenario.

Then there was a user here from Australia that had a bunch of his records stolen, but he did manage to get them back.

So, what I am saying is, that theft of records is not out of the question especially framed "valuable" ones on the wall.  

I would venture to say that only scumbags who know you would break in and steal something like that. In high school some kids who knew me broke in to my house and all they stole was: a few hundred CDs, some DVDs, and liquor. Didn't touch anything of actual value in the house.

My car has been broken in twice and all my CDs searched but nothing stolen. I think I was insulted lol. I think they really wanted a stereo, yeah well me too! :D

Why would it make someone feel weird? Experience in society suggests that attractive people get treated better by the general populace. Why would the internet be any different?

You don't have to understand why someone feels uncomfortable to respect their wishes to stop going down a road that makes them feel uncomfortable or awkward.  In this case, the discomfort comes from knowing exactly what that comment implied, not from the poster "not getting it", so explaining it isn't going to be helpful here.

A general rule to consider when interacting with other humans is that overlooking an individual's words or identity to zero in on a physical trait and then claiming that said physical trait has more to do with their status in the world than their accomplishments or character will likely elicit varying levels of discomfort in that individual.

Please, teach more general rules as I haven't lived longer than most of you to know. For fuck's sake, it's the internet and VC. Again, been around long enough to be able to draw my conclusions based on these observations. 

To further avoid the inevitable tautological posts that surely will follow, I'll contribute to OP. In general, I think buying a record to just hang on the wall is stupid. That said, I do understand the appeal and do it for my own practical reason.

1909829_744625502268242_2607848160257084

This is my first press VU & Nico (with torso back and unpeeled banana). Worth a few hundred shekels. I have a 3 year old. There's no way I'm leaving this out with my other records. This would invariably be the one my son fines and rips apart. 

I said earlier it was dangerous to have the whole LP (with vinyl) framed because of theft. I said this because there was a female user here (name escapes me) that thought she had her framed Deja Entandu stolen then found out her kids wanted to fix the broken glass. So that's one scenario.

Then there was a user here from Australia that had a bunch of his records stolen, but he did manage to get them back.

So, what I am saying is, that theft of records is not out of the question especially framed "valuable" ones on the wall.  

Thanks for bringing this up! I didn't think the idea of having records stolen was that unheard of. My original point about framing records + theft.. is that the average thieve (even if they know nothing about vinyl records or music) has probably seen something like this before:

michael-jackson-platinum-disc-cover-thri

And, for that reason.. if they see anything remotely like that on your wall, there's a chance they will assume it's worth something and take it just in case. So, if you have any records framed in that sort of way that have any sort of value.. it's just a possibility. 

I'm kind of mad seeing AFYCSO framed and not played. I want one so bad.

Would you rather me play it on my Crosley Cruiser of Death? :D Because, I don't want to do that......

Thanks for bringing this up! I didn't think the idea of having records stolen was that unheard of. My original point about framing records + theft.. is that the average thieve (even if they know nothing about vinyl records or music) has probably seen something like this before:

michael-jackson-platinum-disc-cover-thri

And, for that reason.. if they see anything remotely like that on your wall, there's a chance they will assume it's worth something and take it just in case. So, if you have any records framed in that sort of way that have any sort of value.. it's just a possibility. 

Would you rather me play it on my Crosley Cruiser of Death? :D Because, I don't want to do that......

There's quite a bit of difference between one of the most popular and recognizable albums in the history of mankind and AFYCSO but I understand the point you are trying to make.

Also, you should sell me that record so that you can buy a decent player  :) 

There's quite a bit of difference between one of the most popular and recognizable albums in the history of mankind and AFYCSO but I understand the point you are trying to make.

Also, you should sell me that record so that you can buy a decent player  :) 

Of course there's no comparison! haha. This isn't even about AFYCSO anymore. I'm just saying that the average thieve (or human for that matter...) has probably seen a plaque like that in their lifetime, and would assume anything that resembles that sort of display must be worth something if you're going to frame it and hang in that fashion.

HA! Over my dead body, lol. I might be a shameful owner of a Crosley. But, I am a proud owner of that record. :P

Of course there's no comparison! haha. This isn't even about AFYCSO anymore. I'm just saying that the average thieve (or human for that matter...) has probably seen a plaque like that in their lifetime, and would assume anything that resembles that sort of display must be worth something if you're going to frame it and hang in that fashion.

HA! Over my dead body, lol. I might be a shameful owner of a Crosley. But, I am a proud owner of that record. :P

It's OK. I started with a Crosley equivalent when I started buying vinyl a couple years ago before I discovered the error of my ways. Luckily I never played anything of value on it. Found a nice player on Craigslist for a good price that made me feel better about picking up IKSOSE: 3. I'd frame it but I like listening to it too much. Also, I never lock my doors lol.

It's OK. I started with a Crosley equivalent when I started buying vinyl a couple years ago before I discovered the error of my ways. Luckily I never played anything of value on it. Found a nice player on Craigslist for a good price that made me feel better about picking up IKSOSE: 3. I'd frame it but I like listening to it too much. Also, I never lock my doors lol.

My collection is rather small right now, and although I've been working on collecting the albums that I love above all else first.. about half of those albums happen to be fairly cheap, easy to find, and only of value to me for sentimental reasons. So, I haven't felt tooooooo bad about listening to those ones on it. But, YOU NEVER LOCK YOUR DOORS?!?! The one time I didn't lock my windows was the one time I got robbed. Horrible, lol. 

You realize the copy of AFYCSO isn't that type of "gold record," right? It's just a transparent gold(ish) color. No one would ever look at it and think its worth anything. That being said, I'd LOVE to own it.

My intelligence is feeling slightly insulted right now, lol. Of course I know that Hot Topic/Fueled By Ramen didn't release a 24k gold-plated record of a Panic! At The Disco album, that you wouldn't even be able to play, for $21. That's actually kinda hilarious, omg. I know that when I first started becoming interested in vinyl, I wasn't even aware that variants other than black even existed. haha. So, that being said. If I took some time to frame it all nice in a plaque sort of fashion and someone with limited knowledge took a look at it, they might be tricked into thinking it could be worth something. ;)

im here just to be here. carry on. nothing to see here.

You're just here to show off your new username. :). Not gonna lie, I've been visiting a lot more threads to share the tina love.

Was I the only one who cried when OP said she paid $21 above. I would kill to pay that price!!! Oh and I used to have a crosley as well. We all start somewhere so don't feel bad about it. And I did the same, I played the ones that weren't very valuable until I could upgrade to a good table. No one really starts off paying top dollar right of the bat. :).

You're just here to show off your new username. :). Not gonna lie, I've been visiting a lot more threads to share the tina love.

Was I the only one who cried when OP said she paid $21 above. I would kill to pay that price!!! Oh and I used to have a crosley as well. We all start somewhere so don't feel bad about it. And I did the same, I played the ones that weren't very valuable until I could upgrade to a good table. No one really starts off paying top dollar right of the bat. :).

I was so excitedly nervous on the release day, I literally sat there waiting with my credit card on the Hot Topic website and ordered it as soon as I could, lol. It was around Christmas 2012 so even if it was more than $21 at the time.. I probably would've splurged a little as a gift to myself, haha.

And, yeah. As far as being in THIS community... It's kinda embarrassing to say I have a Crosley, haha. But, outside of here would it be a sin to say I don't mind it that much right now? I mean, since hooking up a small speaker to it.. it actually has more bass, can get pretty loud, sounds pretty clear and fits well in my small room. Aside from what I now know the player does to records (I try not to think about that...) It would be a slightly decent entry-level player for someone with a few records. (Like, myself..)

If you don't mind damaging your records with the sorry excuse for a needle then by all means. Your collection.

There are hundreds of better entry level players. I started with a dual 601 I bought second hand for not much more then a crosley.

Considering I bought it when I was uninformed, and this isn't a huge hobby of mine.. As long as I'm just playing the records I could easily pick up another copy of down the road.. I'm sadly okay with it at the moment, tbh.