Framing Vinyl Records: Why isn't it safe?

I have extremely rare colored vinyl framed in double glass frames I purchased from Michaels to display on my walls. They have been framed for years now. I was just contemplating if I was to ever remove them, will they be damaged if I was to play them? I know the double glass is applying a lot of pressure on the vinyl. I also have sealed records framed also. Will this totally ruin them? Warping, ring wear?

I have extremely rare colored vinyl framed in double glass frames I purchased from Michaels to display on my walls. They have been framed for years now. I was just contemplating if I was to ever remove them, will they be damaged if I was to play them? I know the double glass is applying a lot of pressure on the vinyl. I also have sealed records framed also. Will this totally ruin them? Warping, ring wear?

This thread is no longer for legitimate questions. If you want to know if they're ok, go take them out of the fucking frame, if they're damaged, taking them out won't do any more damage.

how dare you write something on topic and not insult the guy who bumped this thread with also an on-topic post...

The dude that bumped this owns a store that can be beneficial to us vinyl record collectors and was simply spreading the word about his company in a place that was completely apporpiate. The topic wasn't even really old either...

The hate on this website is just appalling to me, I just don't understand why

how dare you write something on topic and not insult the guy who bumped this thread with also an on-topic post...

The dude that bumped this owns a store that can be beneficial to us vinyl record collectors and was simply spreading the word about his company in a place that was completely apporpiate. The topic wasn't even really old either...

The hate on this website is just appalling to me, I just don't understand why

dawson_crying.gif

Hi...I am John. I came across the posts and thought I would put in my 2 cents worth and offer answers to any questions. Framing records can be completely safe and actually beneficial if done properly. Low or no sunlight, real glass and acid free matting should be a priority for any collectable or autographed album. Plastic especially if touching the actual sleeve or vinyl (no matting) can eventually do some damage or stick to the sleeve. It also is not easy to clean, attracts dust and scratches easily.

framemyrecord.com.

I edited the post to show how a reasonable human being who wanted to help out some fellow vinyl collectors would drop by, share some info, and discreetly offer his services.

Hard to say without seeing but generally things framed in this manner have a lifespan of around 16 - 18 months. After that period they'll still look fine in the frame but will likely be unplayable. For this reason most people choose the single glass frames, which have a much longer lifespan (with regards to future playability). 

What I do when I want to use the nicer double glass version is frame the jacket but use some construction paper and cut colored 12" circles to match the vinyl color. It's hard to duplicate the art on the labels but at first glance most people won't even notice. This only works for standard colored variants. You'll need paint supplies for splatter and marbled records. 

TL;DR Your records are probably fine. 

Hard to say without seeing but generally things framed in this manner have a lifespan of around 16 - 18 months. After that period they'll still look fine in the frame but will likely be unplayable. For this reason most people choose the single glass frames, which have a much longer lifespan (with regards to future playability). 

What I do when I want to use the nicer double glass version is frame the jacket but use some construction paper and cut colored 12" circles to match the vinyl color. It's hard to duplicate the art on the labels but at first glance most people won't even notice. This only works for standard colored variants. You'll need paint supplies for splatter and marbled records. 

That's a very nice answer.

I just get tired of people in this thread saying, "is my record ruined?!?!?!?!"

Fuck, dude, I donno, Maybe throw it on a turntable and find out.

Oh, you don't have a turntable? Then why the fuck does it matter?

/rant

I assumed this was the main topic. It's just too bad I framed the most rarest valuable ones. Oh well, lesson learned.

bill-cosby-annoyed-shaking-head-smh-gif.

They have been in double glass for about 4 years now. They are on display next to the framed poster's of those albums. I fought hard on ebay many years ago to win most of them. Dished out a lot for each one, which I never seen another for sale again. I can either look at them as a piece of art, or thousands of $ down the drain. Screw it! From what I've heard so far, I guess trying to play them is no longer an option.

They have been in double glass for about 4 years now. They are on display next to the framed poster's of those albums. I fought hard on ebay many years ago to win most of them. Dished out a lot for each one, which I never seen another for sale again. I can either look at them as a piece of art, or thousands of $ down the drain. Screw it! From what I've heard so far, I guess trying to play them is no longer an option.

just send em to me?

zeph was joking, your records are probably absolutely fine and in great condition. I would watch for ring wear down the line though if they're tightly in there.