100 Days of Vinyl

Greetings family,

Before I begin, I would like to first apologize and say thank you in the same sentence. I know many boards have rules and if I broke any with this post I am truly sorry (to the mods). Second, thank you for giving me the opportunity to share a little bit of information about our project 100 Days of Vinyl. Honestly I thought it would have been much easier than this. I would like to share this with you:

I am not sure why the hell I thought this would be easy.. I mean, how hard is it to find vinyl heads that love the smell of old record sleeves and hearts the culture? As a clothing brand, its almost a crime to care about what others think or what drives the people because its more about what drives the founders, or their niche respectfully. Preferred Classics has a niche too but its more of a general one; simply put: we love people that love what they do and these said individuals inspire us and in turn we create. So where does this take me.. honestly? It takes me all over the world, in every nook and cranny to seek inspiration to share to the world. 100 Days of Vinyl is a project that is a product of inspiration. Back in the day (2009) when Preferred Classics was just a blog physically and a clothing brand mentally I took an attempt at this same exact project. The difference was it was all my records, and maybe a couple from close friends. It #failed and here is why. It was not involved enough, it was not fueled by a community but rather from my own crates – I might have gotten up to day 28 or 30 before stopping it all together. The good thing is that this project is totally different because I tackled the basic concept and achieved it now. The bad thing is that our previous attempt still lures in the back of my head like a sleeping giant waiting for stagnation.

So no, this is not easy. I emailed many record stores, labels, individuals and the likes to be a part of this either in sponsorship or participation and most said no, ignored or did not see or understand the vision. The vision of this project is hardly about the music or the record our participants choose. I know that sounds a little confusing, I mean, 100 Days of Vinyl and not giving two F’s about the music??!? It is and it isn’t. For us its about the intangible feeling that these vinyl lovers get each time they put a record on. It is about the feeling that allows them to spend hours upon hours in that dusty, bleak, mom and pop record shop. It’s about the DJ’s that still prefer to carry crates full of vinyl to their gig. It’s about the hunt on craigslist, the inheritance of records, its about the cover art, its about the pop and crackle embedded within the groove. Its about sampling and creating, its about the feeling you get when you find exactly what your looking for AND the feeling you get when you find exactly what your NOT looking for. Its about the love and culture!

How do I conclude this? This ‘feeling’ is cross genre and cross races. This feeling is neither old, young, rich or poor. It has no gender nor does it care how you dress. This feeling that we speak of is tied with a story. – and that my friend is the vision behind 100 Days of Vinyl.

I learned so much from the participants while I format the DAY’s post. For those 10 minutes, I understand them and the reason they chose that ONE specific record. I also have the awesome opportunity to learn about the music that they share behind the story and very soon you will have the same opportunity too.

If you guys are interested and want to be a part of it, please visit our site. - and this post will not be a one and done, I will lurk and participate with the collective as well!

Thanks

So no, this is not easy. I emailed many record stores, labels, individuals and the likes to be a part of this either in sponsorship or participation and most said no, ignored or did not see or understand the vision. The vision of this project is hardly about the music or the record our participants choose. I know that sounds a little confusing, I mean, 100 Days of Vinyl and not giving two F’s about the music??!? It is and it isn’t. 

If your emails were half as convoluted as the post on this forum, I think I may know what your problem is.