Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

Like what? I am always looking for new stuff to listen to. Also cannot wait for a new Jakob record.

Tons of stuff this year. A silver Mt zion, agalloch, Andrew Jackson Jihad, angel Olsen, bloodpheasant, bongripper, Boris, casket girls, creepoid, crosses, earthless with heavy blanket, Emma Ruth rundle, eyehategod, floor, godflesh, Haley bonar, hauschka, Velma alee, house of lightning, inventions, iron Reagan, junius, mark lanegan, mogwai, nothing, owls, ringworm, swans, thou, tiny empires, United nations, watter, young widows. Just so much good stuff.

Tons of stuff this year. A silver Mt zion, agalloch, Andrew Jackson Jihad, angel Olsen, bloodpheasant, bongripper, Boris, casket girls, creepoid, crosses, earthless with heavy blanket, Emma Ruth rundle, eyehategod, floor, godflesh, Haley bonar, hauschka, Velma alee, house of lightning, inventions, iron Reagan, junius, mark lanegan, mogwai, nothing, owls, ringworm, swans, thou, tiny empires, United nations, watter, young widows. Just so much good stuff.

Awesome! Thank you. A bunch of those I never heard of so I will check them out.

Like what? I am always looking for new stuff to listen to. Also cannot wait for a new Jakob record.

If you want more great instrumental stuff, head to this thread. I'd say start at the end of the thread & go back. Most of what's posted is from 2014.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/94703-instrumental-music-discussion/?view=getnewpost

Ok that's all I'll contribute to the thread derailment.

I can only speculate since I haven't seen Jakob live but I feel like they would compete with Caspian as kings of the genre if I got a chance to see them.

Damn our tastes overlap considerably. I need to give some of that heavier stuff a chance though, heard of most all of what you mentioned but some of it I've yet to give a listen to.

I'll add you an Earth, Sleep, Drcarlsonalbion, Crippled Black Phoenix, Comet Control, Goat, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Fresh & Onlys, Tombs, Tweak Bird, Ty Segall, Se Delan, Sleepy Sun, Sunwolf, Conan, Slomatics, Zaum

Damn our tastes overlap considerably. I need to give some of that heavier stuff a listen though, heard of most all of what you mentioned but some of it I've yet to give a listen to.

I'll add you an Earth, Sleep, Drcarlsonalbion, Crippled Black Phoenix, Comet Control, Goat, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Fresh & Onlys, Tombs, Tweak Bird, Ty Segall, Se Delan, Sleepy Sun, Sunwolf, Conan, Slomatics, Zaum

Add to you two, along with the superb releases you've already mentioned, Year of No Light, Alcest, Horseback, Pontiak, Seirom.

Also to clarify my mention of using delay in this preview song. I don't want more or less delay. I just feel like past work all had a very distinct way of using the delay. Am I the only one who recognizes that? Or maybe I'm just not making much sense.

It's all good. I have found all their past albums have 'that Jakob sound' yet still distinct enough not be the same record over and over.

I bet at least one of the tracks will have that sound you're looking for!  But if it doesn't, that doesn't reflect on you or them - hope you are not disappointed.  I usually approach 95% of new albums somewhat hesitant/skeptical, so as not to be let down or appear fanboy, especially if it turns out to disappoint.  But this one, I have thrown caution to the wind, based on that long teaser.

Mean's Knowing had none of that 'delay sound' that you're talking about -- went very experimental in a different direction with Hamish Walker's influence. 

But you know how Jeff could be in that mode, and then all of a sudden, he's kicked on all the overdrive/gain/distortion and wah pedals, just destroying it, or backed way to almost nothing ?

this album getting at least 3 different pressings is ruining my 'collect everything jakob' shit. oh well, super stoked and hopefully they tour australia some time early next year

Don't forget about the new Solace variants on the horizon, as well as their back catalog... presumably pressed on multiple variants as well.  Being a Jakob completionist is shaping up to be a pricey endeavor.

Don't forget about the new Solace variants on the horizon, as well as their back catalog... presumably pressed on multiple variants as well.  Being a Jakob completionist is shaping up to be a pricey endeavor.

ugh so much must-have represses this year, can't spend any money on new releases anymore : /

• 2 weeks later...

Can you get on Bandcamp? jakob.bandcamp.com

i can, but i'm in a lab with noisy drone-y pumps, and it would be played out of my desktop's speakers. I can try, but it's far less than ideal.

edit: I can barely hear anything haha. fail. I have an ipod dock in here that I usually listen to music on.

• Derek™ changed the title to Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition