Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

Stumbled across this band on Spotify (now in Canada, yay!), I've only listened to two tracks so far off Solace and know I want their entire discography.

They have that effect, I think.  Perfectly reasonable reaction.  I echo anyone who's head over heels for Cale:Drew, too.  It absolutely gives Solace a run for its money.

Got a little bit of news to share with you guys.  Having these Jakob releases on my brain frequently, I shot Lyndsay & Joel an e-mail with a few questions regarding all things Jakob, and they got back to me with some answers that may be of interest to some of you.

• The next Mylene PO will be for Aeges "very soon".

• The Jakob / Sines PO should follow that one.  Projected for late September.

• As with all things Mylene, a newsletter or two will be distributed before then, detailing the date of the PO.

Sines will be released in New Zealand by Shoot The Freak, Australia by Valve, and everywhere else by Mylene.

• Vinyl is exclusive to Mylene.  (I'm personally guessing there will probably be 3 variants to choose from.)

• Mylene isn't sure whether or not they'll be involved with the Solace repress, or the C:D + SOS pressings.  They're talking with Jakob to determine how the band may want them to be involved, if at all.  But whoever handles the re/presses, regardless... they likely won't happen until 2015 – well after copies of Sines are printed and distributed, and they can remove it from their plate of projects.

It's not much, but it at least confirms that there won't be country-exclusive variants for Sines.  And in a worst case scenario, we'd just have to pay extra for the older material if it's handled overseas by someone other than Mylene.

I am pumped and ready for this PO. Not gonna let any variants slide by me on this one. And that album artwork leaves a lot of roads open insofar as color configurations go.

Took the words right out of my mouth.  I seldom go hog-wild on Mylene POs – and I actually don't think I've ever grabbed more than 2 variants of any given album of theirs in one swoop – but if the Sines variants are all half as cool as I think they'll be, I doubt I'll have a choice.

Interested to see the price on it, too, considering it'll be a double album at 45 RPM and 180 gram.

Sines will be released in New Zealand by Shoot The Freak, Australia by Valve, and everywhere else by Mylene.

• Vinyl is exclusive to Mylene.  (I'm personally guessing there will probably be 3 variants to choose from.)

Actually a very common arrangement for AUS/NZ releases with overseas label releases. There are very few local vinyl releases, oftentimes the US or EU pressing is shared with AUS/NZ. Because unless handled well, most releases aren't going to sell more than ~100 copies here.

Unless AUS/NZ labels do 250+ pressings and do things smart, it's not worthwhile to do low volume vinyl pressings due to the high per-unit cost. It can be cheaper for the customer to just have the US/EU import, even imported into retail stores and purchased with the stores mark up.

Hence why AUS/NZ pressings of bands from outside our countries are even more rare... and why I'll never make any money.

Hence why AUS/NZ pressings of bands from outside our countries are even more rare... and why I'll never make any money.

Well, I think I speak for most everyone else when I say that I appreciate what you do, and the amount of care you put into your product.  The shipping rates and details of production costs may be rough, but it is what it is.  At the end of the day you're putting beautiful records and great music into the hands of dedicated vinyl enthusiasts.  I think that says a lot in itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a preview.

So what's this about Mylene only handling vinyl? Here's a NZ distro spreading the wax. I reckon these pre-orders might be for copies sent from Mylene directly to Jakob, no?

http://flyingout.co.nz/products/jakob-sines-lp-cd-pre-order

The NZ PO is up for quite some time...but it's not a Mylene release...under "Item Details" it says "Label: Shoot the Freak". Guess it's an independent NZ release.

Mylene PO will be up some time next week (according to their facebook page)

• Derek™ changed the title to Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition