Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

Arrived yesterday. I just got home and opened it now, so I'll listen to it a bit later. All in all, I'm slightly bummed. Not very, but there's too much positive energy in this thread right now and I need to be a grinch.

I ordered the CD/vinyl package because I wanted the CD beforehand. That didn't happen (bummer #1). I also wanted black vinyl, but the CD/vinyl package was for "the most limited version of the vinyl at time of purchase," which was the haze when I ordered. So I requested black vinyl when I made my payment. That didn't happen (bummer #2). I'm also bummed they never bothered to respond/acknowledge the email I sent about both of these things back in early November.

ANYWAY, I'm done being a wet blanket now. Still stoked to finally have this.

Well, you can prob sell that haze for more than a black would cost. Not that I'm encouraging flipping (but even if it was just for like a $5 profit). If you talk me into it maybe I'd even trade. But my black is big pimpin' so I dunno.

Well, you can prob sell that haze for more than a black would cost. Not that I'm encouraging flipping (but even if it was just for like a $5 profit). If you talk me into it maybe I'd even trade. But my black is big pimpin' so I dunno.

It's not that big a deal. I've already opened/played it, so I'll keep it. But thanks. However I will go against what some others have said: I did notice a touch of noise during quieter sections of my copy, and there was visually noticeable 'grit' on the label itself. Granted all I did was use an ant-static brush, so a better cleaning should help.  

Great album though. I reckon it's in my top 5 of 2014, maybe top 3 (too few listens to really judge). 

It's not that big a deal. I've already opened/played it, so I'll keep it. But thanks. However I will go against what some others have said: I did notice a touch of noise during quieter sections of my copy, and there was visually noticeable 'grit' on the label itself. Granted all I did was use an ant-static brush, so a better cleaning should help.

Great album though. I reckon it's in my top 5 of 2014, maybe top 3 (too few listens to really judge).

If you'd like to trade, I'd be willing to part with my black copy since I also have the black test press. Lemme know.

• 2 weeks later...

Was very stoked to receive my copy today and had my first listen of the whole album. To my dismay my first listen was quite hindered, as the C/D sides are warped or have some sort of other issue that I can't quite put my needle on (!). During the first minute or so of both Resolve and Darkness the needle keeps jumping off the wax. Such a bummer. Will see whether Mylene can help me.

Anyone else have this issue by any chance? It might be a factory issue as I've had some faulty wax that wasn't quite cut right but this one seems to look clean so it's more likely shipping damage. Might be the first time I'm not happy about having the vinyl shipped outside of the jackets. I'm thinking the vinyl would've been alright if it had been more covered inside the packaging.

• 2 weeks later...

Those Heiress records looking damn fine, as could be expected

SHEATH055.jpg

Also, the newsletter confirmed the best of news for the new year

Jakob fans - rejoice! By the end of 2015 you will have had the opportunity to own their back catalog on vinyl for the first time!!! We'll be doing Subsets of Sets and Cale:Drew on vinyl for the first time EVER! We'll also be repressing the almighty Solace, so stop spending ridiculous amounts of money on eBay RIGHT NOW. We'll have a timeline on these pretty soon, so stoked!!

This is deemed to be epic. Can't wait to see the colour configurations that they cook up. Stoked that out of anyone Mylene is doing these.

I'm down for this. I've only heard Sines...

Were you cool with it?  I really enjoy Sines, but it's a little on the shorter side compared to a lot of their work, and I'd say it opts for more [gorgeous] strings and ambient atmosphere instead of the band's usual walls of guitar and riffs to die for.  Like Charlie said, it's a whole different animal with a very few signature staples in their sound.  If you don't mind going a bit heavier or more distorted, I think you'd absolutely dig Solace and Cale:Drew.  Their debut (Subsets of Sets) is still something I can enjoy, but it teeters on the edge of "tried and true post-rock", complete with some Mogwai worship.  I really enjoy it, but I don't think the band truly established their hallmark sound until everything that followed.

Either way, I'm probably going to end up going hog-wild on each of these releases.  I don't have a lot of self-control with this band.

"Ageena" from Subset of Sets was the first Jakob track I heard and was hooked immediately.

The more subdued-quiet/low-key lead ins, and then the InYourFace wall of distortion/wah pedal riffs, and back down again, are also pretty well demarcated on "I'm On Your Side" and "The Collar Sets Well".   The atmosphere of the whole album to my ears is distinct from any predecessor, including the postrock universe.

Cale:Drew has them producing longer tracks with more brooding atmosphere, sludgier, and less riffage that could be made into "singles" like Subsets (to my ears).  Jimmy Hoffa is a dangerous earworm that still haunts me in the early AM hours.  Not a weak track on Cale:Drew, and then Skew...Aard outro....becomes the intro to Solace (Malachite), which gives me the chills every time.  

Solace has less sludginess and even enters the celestial realms on Saint, a 9 min. quiet catharsis - one of Aaron Harris's favorite tracks. But it still has the addictive anticipation portions like in Malachite when you can always hear the crowd roar to life after the descending arpeggios from Jeff's guitar. Poor Maurice on Pneumonic has the challenge of not falling asleep during his repetitive bass line, while Jeff takes center stage with his now signature 10 foot high Swells and minus 10 foot low Valleys, like you're floating in the ocean -- but then back to the Subsets InYourFace wall of distortion/wah to slap you back into reality. Oran Mor is many people's favorite, but my favorite track may be Safety In Numbers. Just when you think the album couldn't get any better - there it is.

We don't talk about the S/T or Dominion very much. Maybe another time, since this post is getting too long - ? like Dominion ;)

Back on topic,  Sines does seem 'too short' which is not a bad thing, and honestly I wasn't too sure about the strings at first - though it seemed like a logical direction for them to explore in their advancing age (j/k -- it is a new challenge though, but I see on the album credits that someone did the arranging for them). I am sure they had intense input into the string portions, and I wonder how much it held up the project besides Maurice's broken hand and then Jason's major knife accident to his arm.  The opener is addictive. My son has Magna Carta on repeat, but Resolve is working its way up to the track I look most forward to. Again, not a weak track on Sines imho.

I can't pick a favorite 7" or album though.  Even the vocals on Her Short Haircut are alright. B)

Pneumonic is definitely my favorite on Solace. I love the sludgey guitar & the Russian Circles-esque monotone bass-thump. But the percussion-less build up to the explosive finish is what gets me there. I remember hearing that with headphones on for the first time & my "whoa" reaction. Also, ITTCT used this song as a filler track in between bands during one of their shows and just hearing that bass drum/snare intro over the loud speakers gave me goosebumps.

• Derek™ changed the title to Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition