Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

On 3/6/2020 at 6:49 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Right now we are writing new songs which we hope to record later this year.

New song HAARP (B-side from Sines)

https://soundcloud.com/jakobtheband/haarp

And another demo from the subset of sets/cale:drew era

Edited by jaba1337
I

• 6 months later...

• Derek™ changed the title to Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

Any word who will be releasing this or you think they will self-release & do digital only? (hope not)

Bird's Robe Records seems like a good fit, or even Hobbledehoy, but I am totally clueless as to how the whole business process works.  Sheath really had us pumped for Subsets & Cale:Drew vinyl - I don't lose any sleep over it, but it would be nice to see this happen one day.

17 hours ago, drds89 said:

Any word who will be releasing this or you think they will self-release & do digital only? (hope not)

Bird's Robe Records seems like a good fit, or even Hobbledehoy, but I am totally clueless as to how the whole business process works.  Sheath really had us pumped for Subsets & Cale:Drew vinyl - I don't lose any sleep over it, but it would be nice to see this happen one day.

When I spoke with Maurice, he said they were entertaining Translation Loss Records and some local New Zealand label.  That was all I was able to get out of him.  So, no idea haha

• 2 years later...
20 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

jfc how did c:d and solace never happen? someone tell these guys that i’ll straight up do it for them and they can keep all the profit, i just want em to exist at this point 

*Solace repress and C:D press, right?  At least with Solace, it exists and you can chase it down on vinyl if you want to shell out.  It’d be so nice to have SOS and C:D on the shelf someday, though.

They were in the works before Mylene had their internal drama / meltdown and completely dissolved.  Such a damn shame.  Those 2 albums and the couple of LPs from Evpatoria Report are probably the biggest “maybe someday…” wishlist records from my post-rock years.

5 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

Got excited to see this post bumped, and then I walk in to more shaking fists at clouds. dammit guys, you're killin' me.

C'mon someone said they'd press the records themselves for free that's progress!

Also holy shit was that Mylene Sheath meltdown wild. Probably the weirdest and most incompetent label dissolution I've seen in my life. And that includes Mightier Than Sword.

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

*Solace repress and C:D press, right?  At least with Solace, it exists and you can chase it down on vinyl if you want to shell out.  It’d be so nice to have SOS and C:D on the shelf someday, though.

They were in the works before Mylene had their internal drama / meltdown and completely dissolved.  Such a damn shame.  Those 2 albums and the couple of LPs from Evpatoria Report are probably the biggest “maybe someday…” wishlist records from my post-rock years.

Yeah that's what I meant, I knew Solace existed it's just prohibitively expensive and may as well not exist! If anybody has a connect with those dudes, give 'em my contact I guess lol. Otherwise, let's just hope the new album yields old reissues.

1 hour ago, DecayToDeath said:

I didn't catch any of TMS' shit, what happened there

Lindsay and/or Joel were having some serious mental health issues. Basically collecting money for projects and sales and not shipping or doing anything. It was messy, shitty, and just sad. I hope they are in a better place now, but they needed to come clean and end the label stuff a LOT earlier than when it eventually imploded.

33 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

Lindsay and/or Joel were having some serious mental health issues. Basically collecting money for projects and sales and not shipping or doing anything. It was messy, shitty, and just sad. I hope they are in a better place now, but they needed to come clean and end the label stuff a LOT earlier than when it eventually imploded.

I also feel like they were splitting up as a couple, and Joel was using the label’s social media platforms to post really cryptic messages, unrelated to any music.  Like one day, a mock-up for a pre-order dropping at the end of the week, and the next day a photo of a field accompanied by “Thinking of her and simpler times.”  Probably exaggerating a bit here, but hopefully someone can kind of attest.  It was awkward for everyone involved – them especially, but loyal fans too.

1 hour ago, DecayToDeath said:

Yeah that's what I meant, I knew Solace existed it's just prohibitively expensive and may as well not exist! If anybody has a connect with those dudes, give 'em my contact I guess lol. Otherwise, let's just hope the new album yields old reissues.

So I knew Solace was always a desirable record, but I hadn’t eyed its Discogs sale history in a while.  Damn.  There was a time when the Conspiracy red variant had sold for like $200, and the Mylene copy had gone for $90 at most.  Now I see that same Mylene variant has fetched $300, which is nutty.  (Especially since I think the Conspiracy packaging is way nicer.)  Severely due for a repress, no doubt.  Have you tried reaching out to the band directly on Facebook or anything?

2 hours ago, DecayToDeath said:

I didn't catch any of TMS' shit, what happened there

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I also feel like they were splitting up as a couple, and Joel was using the label’s social media platforms to post really cryptic messages, unrelated to any music.  Like one day, a mock-up for a pre-order dropping at the end of the week, and the next day a photo of a field accompanied by “Thinking of her and simpler times.”  Probably exaggerating a bit here, but hopefully someone can kind of attest.  It was awkward for everyone involved – them especially, but loyal fans too.

This is what happened except it was the other way around. Joel disappeared and Lindsay was posting weird cryptic posts with butterflies and spiders. It was pretty sad.

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2023 at 11:16 AM, prowl20 said:

I’d kill for a copy of Solace 😭

They're def available, you just have to pay.  I did, and I'm glad i did.  Look around for interest-free credit card offers dude, that's how I did it.  No interest for a year! 

As far as all the repress talk, I've chatted with Jeff a good bit.  They know.  I just think they have no real motivation to do the work for it.  Like i said before, the last talks were that Translation Loss was offering, but they wanted to do a local place. 

I must imagine that when this new album finally drops, we'll see them.  If not, I doubt that we ever will. 

Edited by Gumbo72203